British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

10 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

So what’s your barometer, 2018 or 2019? Very little difference in personal or I daresay attitude between the two seasons but little things either go your way or don’t and they add up to either a good season or a pretty bad one. 

Impossible to know how this coming season will go until it gets into full swing. I’m sure the experience of 2018 left everybody desperate to go one better, the hunger is there to win it and tat doesn’t happen by going through the motions. 

While you and I are normally pretty much on the same page, think I'd disagree about last season's team. That side put together at the start of the season was awful. Jorgensen and Proctor had started to go off the boil away from home midway through the 2018 season. Only MPT's heroics saved us from a hammering at Belle Vue in the play off semi-final.

The signs were there from the very start. Proctor should have never been given the second heat leader spot. Credit to the promotion for trying to change it up with signing Cook, but we were always playing catch-up. Time will tell but can't help shake the feeling that the same mistakes are being made again.

13 minutes ago, Speedball said:

While you and I are normally pretty much on the same page, think I'd disagree about last season's team. That side put together at the start of the season was awful. Jorgensen and Proctor had started to go off the boil away from home midway through the 2018 season. Only MPT's heroics saved us from a hammering at Belle Vue in the play off semi-final.

The signs were there from the very start. Proctor should have never been given the second heat leader spot. Credit to the promotion for trying to change it up with signing Cook, but we were always playing catch-up. Time will tell but can't help shake the feeling that the same mistakes are being made again.

I can’t argue with that mate as things turned out as you predicted but I’d also argue that Lambert and Kerr significantly underachieved in 2019 and the number seven spot once again was an issue. Only really Riss and MPT (along with Cook) met expectations.

I’d have had a bit of a clear out for 2020 personally to try and sort the away form but that’s not going to happen and while disappointing I don’t think anyone should write off our chances. Assuming Cook returns and we have a decent reserve the team will have a much better balance than the one which started last season but fingers will have to be pulled out on the road. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile the next rider looks suspiciously like Riss.

• Like 1

Cook arrived too late, for some reason we seemed to have nearly all our away matches in the first half of the season, so limited opportunities to get anything on the road once cook arrived. Hope there is a better spread in 2020

23 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I’d be putting my money elsewhere . . .

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I can’t argue with that mate as things turned out as you predicted but I’d also argue that Lambert and Kerr significantly underachieved in 2019 and the number seven spot once again was an issue. Only really Riss and MPT (along with Cook) met expectations.

I’d have had a bit of a clear out for 2020 personally to try and sort the away form but that’s not going to happen and while disappointing I don’t think anyone should write off our chances. Assuming Cook returns and we have a decent reserve the team will have a much better balance than the one which started last season but fingers will have to be pulled out on the road. 

There's definite improvement in Lambert and Cook I reckon. Hopefully an injury free season will see Robert get back to nearer 9.00 than 8.00. Cook could well average over 8 as well. If it is Proctor at reserve as anticipated, I'd fancy him to put a point on his starting average as well. It's what happens in the engine room that will dictate our season I feel. We have to hope Riss, Jorgensen and Kerr offer improved performances away from home.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

It looked like Riss,but it's Proctor.I think that can only be a good move on the average he is currently on.Obviously he will be starting at reserve which should be beneficial to himself and the Stars.

• Like 2

Lambert & Proctor are excellent signings almost certs to add to their current averages. 

Kerr & Jorgensen I can't say or see the same. 

Hopefully the club have managed to find a 'ringer' from somewhere to go with Riss & Cook. 

1. Lambert 7.61

2. Kerr 5.43 

3. Riss 6.61 

4. Jorgensen 5.90

5. Cook 7.59 

6.(Pickering 4.36) ??? 4.93

7. Proctor 4.43 

As a 1-7 it looks awfully weak imo. 

• Like 1

It seems to me that the Stars are signing the same old crap as last season. They finished in sixth place out of seven. Can't see it being any different next season.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mrss said:

It seems to me that the Stars are signing the same old crap as last season. They finished in sixth place out of seven. Can't see it being any different next season.

Same engine room:blink:

Riss, TJ, Kerr home 21.68      Away 13.18

Edited by Bald Bloke

Proctor has plenty to prove, he is at reserve for a reason but should make hay there early on looking at some of the other reserves around. If his confidence and his shoulder are in good nick from the off he could put two points on his starting figure. You can certainly see why he has been signed on that figure. 

Assuming Cook and Riss return and Robert can get back to his 2018 form or near to it then we have very capable heat leaders and a good reserve which gives the side a good structure. Disappointed MPT won’t be back and Kerr and Jorgensen have to improve from poor seasons to warrant their inclusion and for the team to finish top four. The final signing will be crucial, it needs to be somebody who can contribute consistently as the number seven position has been troublesome for far too long. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Proctor has plenty to prove, he is at reserve for a reason but should make hay there early on looking at some of the other reserves around. If his confidence and his shoulder are in good nick from the off he could put two points on his starting figure. You can certainly see why he has been signed on that figure. 

Assuming Cook and Riss return and Robert can get back to his 2018 form or near to it then we have very capable heat leaders and a good reserve which gives the side a good structure. Disappointed MPT won’t be back and Kerr and Jorgensen have to improve from poor seasons to warrant their inclusion and for the team to finish top four. The final signing will be crucial, it needs to be somebody who can contribute consistently as the number seven position has been troublesome for far too long. 

Can you fit in Pickering??

It was worrying seeing Ty being past down the back straight so many times last season.. I kind of see he looks like a bargain on his average. I think he may well swap with Kerr a few times over the season.

1 minute ago, Bald Bloke said:

It was worrying seeing Ty being past down the back straight so many times last season.. I kind of see he looks like a bargain on his average. I think he may well swap with Kerr a few times over the season.

And the season before.

He managed to get into a good position coming out of turn 2 and then got swallowed alive by turn 3.

Maybe OK at reserve -- I can see why the average makes him attractive.

If he can convert those good positions in 2020 to chequered flags, his signing will look like a stroke of genius.

It's a big if, in my book but perhaps worth a risk.