British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

8 hours ago, g13webb said:

Any chance of the Stars being crowned Champions need to be put on hold again, for another years at least.   Strange how other teams can pull out the stops to acquire certain riders when we always seems to take the easy options.    Being a speedway supporter rather then one specific team fan, I imagine I will go the showground more this year than I would normally.   Looking at their six riders led by our old  boss-man Rob Lyons , they sure have a better quality about them than Stars do....    Coupled with an exciting track, hard earnt money would be better spent watching thrilling races,   than the usual 'follow the leader' stuff served up at Lynn....

Are you saying you don't really support a certain team:unsure:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Are you saying you don't really support a certain team:unsure:

Whilst i admire fans devotion to a chosen side it still baffles me. I likewise am a supporter of the sport rather than any specific team.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst i admire fans devotion to a chosen side it still baffles me. I likewise am a supporter of the sport rather than any specific team.

It's not baffling at all, it's completely natural to develop an affinity with the team you pay to watch every week. 

• Like 9

I have followed the Stars the whole length and breath of this country.   I cant think of a track I haven't visited during the countless years I've supported this wonderful sport.   Too right, once I was the most ardent of Stars fans and would argue the point to the end, but as time goes bye you see life differently.    Going to speedway matches was once the be all of everything, it dictated your moods, it define the whole week. It was the catalyst  of your whole being.      How sad was I ,  that I allowed it to govern my life for so long. 

My love for fast motor sport is as evident as ever, but now realise it has to be put into prospective.   Now I see  the sport as it really is and understand the lack of importance is a reflection of how the world see it.  Gone are the days when it challenged Football in relation to supporting numbers,  Fans stay at home now,  it is fast disappearing because costs haven't been controlled.  

Probably the bikes are now faster,  the heats are quicker, and the riders are better, but the race meetings are  not like they use to be.    The atmosphere has gone, the  excitement  is missing the crowds have all but gone .   So  if it is possible to go to a variety of venues to get  my  dose of  yesteryear, then believe me I will go whether the Stars are riding there or not.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

I have followed the Stars the whole length and breath of this country.   I cant think of a track I haven't visited during the countless years I've supported this wonderful sport.   Too right, once I was the most ardent of Stars fans and would argue the point to the end, but as time goes bye you see life differently.    Going to speedway matches was once the be all of everything, it dictated your moods, it define the whole week. It was the catalyst  of your whole being.      How sad was I ,  that I allowed it to govern my life for so long. 

My love for fast motor sport is as evident as ever, but now realise it has to be put into prospective.   Now I see  the sport as it really is and understand the lack of importance is a reflection of how the world see it.  Gone are the days when it challenged Football in relation to supporting numbers,  Fans stay at home now,  it is fast disappearing because costs haven't been controlled.  

Probably the bikes are now faster,  the heats are quicker, and the riders are better, but the race meetings are  not like they use to be.    The atmosphere has gone, the  excitement  is missing the crowds have all but gone .   So  if it is possible to go to a variety of venues to get  my  dose of  yesteryear, then believe me I will go whether the Stars are riding there or not.....

Was it ever really a 100% Sport ?  I always saw it as a form of entertainment that was self governing and open to various forms of corruption, and varied types of you scratch my back, i will scratch yours.

Carphole stadiums that took the pee out of the fans and no real investment in the future.  Just hungry promotions who the fans fed to the extreme.

Now we end up with a British League that is on the bones of its ass.

You reap what you sew.   

10 hours ago, g13webb said:

How sad was I ,  that I allowed it to govern my life for so long. 

Echoed here! I too rode a motorbike all over the UK for many years to watch speedway. Based in Northmapton I was a regualr at Lynn, Coventry, Sheffield, White City etc

10 hours ago, g13webb said:

Probably the bikes are now faster,  the heats are quicker, and the riders are better, but the race meetings are  not like they use to be.    The atmosphere has gone, the  excitement  is missing the crowds have all but gone .

No lure now for me. Three KL matches last season. Wish I could get over to Peterborough from time to time, but not pulled powerfully there either.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 2:59 PM, 1984Star said:

Effort and time 

I don’t see it like that at all, he is building both sides in a similar way  ie with three distinct heat leaders and riders who have plenty of history at each club and will be popular with many supporters. Jorgensen and Kerr wouldn't have been in many people’s teams due to their scoring but they are popular, they are club men. Many people who go every week will be happy they are included, same goes for Hans, Niels, Ulrich and to a lesser extent MPT at P’boro. Buster knows people will keep coming back if his teams win at home and that what he is going for I believe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Buster knows people will keep coming back if his teams win at home and that what he is going for I believe. 

He might know that some people come back regularly if his teams win at home but he does not seem to accept that some others won't come back regularly, if it is invariably boring, processioanl racing.

7 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

He might know that some people come back regularly if his teams win at home but he does not seem to accept that some others won't come back regularly, if it is invariably boring, processioanl racing.

Less dirt this year apparently so perhaps the penny has dropped.  Anyway a winning team will always trump good racing for folk generally. 

1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

Less dirt this year apparently so perhaps the penny has dropped.

If so, better late than never. I used to love going but in recent years, 3 or 4 mins of interest in a meeting, has almost killed off the likelihood of me watching live in the stadium. Wiil give it at least one try this season, just in case you are right.

Sponsors stepping down I see.

ED Bales has sent a good luck message to King’s Lynn ahead of the new season – after standing down as main team sponsor.

The club will be unveiling their new backers next week after Poultec stepped aside to channel their funds to the Poultec speedway programme enhancing opportunities for young riders within the sport.

“The training programme is requiring increased input to run successfully but hopefully it continues to grow and be of great benefit to the sport,” said Bales.

“I wish Keith and Cheryl Chapman and the King’s Lynn team every success for the new season and I am sure we will be around to support them in other ways.

“We are looking forward to the new season.”

Stars co-promoter Keith Chapman said: “It’s always a pleasure to work alongside Ed and Debbie Bales and we can’t thank them enough for their support last season.

“They are good friends of us here at King’s Lynn and they know they are more than welcome to come along and see us as our guests at any time.

“We have been working hard behind the scenes and we should be in a position to make an announcement next week regarding our 2020 team sponsors.”

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

GB star Cook ready to do 'proper job' with King's Lynn

Great Britain international Craig Cook is revving up for his first full season in King's Lynn colours.

PUBLISHED: 10:30 27 February 2020 | UPDATED: 10:30 27 February 2020

After finding things tough over the last couple of years, the Whitehaven-born rider now has a plan in place which should mean Stars supporters will see the best of him in 2020.

Cook said: "I feel the last two years have been a bit scattered and obviously with doing the Grands Prix in 2018 and then last year was a bit higgledy-piggledy too. We were kind of all over the place not knowing what was going on, which was quite stressful.

"I think I can still do a great job at number five. I always feel like I have underachieved so we have put things into place in the off-season where I can get things right and get things organised, getting myself in a position where I am doing my job properly.

"Like I say, we have got things in order this year - we knew who we were signing for so everything has been stress-free getting all the bikes ready so we are pretty much ready to go for this season."

The Stars will have two former British champions in their ranks again this year and Cook was quick to praise number one Robert Lambert.

"I always feel that Robert is always probably going to be the number one," he said. "Obviously he had a bit of an off-season in 2019 and he knows his way around King's Lynn better than anyone. I think that he will get himself back together and back to his form from two years ago."

Cook has also welcomed the alterations being made to British tracks and feels they will benefit the sport in the UK.

"It is good see that promoters are running the tracks a bit slicker to suit the bikes of today," he said. "I mean, even King's Lynn has been slicker than it ever used to be but it is still grippy.

"The bikes are designed to be so much more aggressive and get so much more traction which can make it difficult racing.

"There's going to be some little changes to the track at Lynn this year and I think once we get dialled in around there you'll see how good the racing can be. I think once we get settled, it will be a massive benefit to us at home and probably even more so, on the road."

From the EDP. 

On 2/23/2020 at 9:44 AM, Bagpuss said:

. Buster knows people will keep coming back if his teams win at home and that what he is going for I believe. 

I'm not so sure on that,   Personally,  I know of at least a dozen Lynn supporters, who have stopped going in the past 2 years.  So I imagine there are many more  who can say something similar.   Comparing them facts with figures, that must equate to £2 grand a season at  least on missed revenue.     

What the fans really want is a realistic chance of success.  Assembling a stronger team at our closest rivals is probably the biggest turnoff he could do.....