British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

13 hours ago, g13webb said:

It was always expected the sport would end up like  like it has.  The punters have always been regarded as mugs, where the  promoters and riders think only of themselves.   Rather then focus on the bigger picture as to why the fans are drifting away,  their answer has always been to increase the cost of admission .  Thinking back to those years when speedway was a full house, even then the stadiums was in desperate need of repairs.  Some of the toilets were atrocious.  Not fit for the purpose.  

When I see on the television those wonderful stadiums in Poland  I marvel at the vast spectators in those wonderful appeasing vantage points, protected from the elements  so enabling to be dressed in casual clothes,  you then realise how far behind   we have been for years.   We are expected to go to our dated stadiums, pay top dollar,  get  mediocre racing,  watching meeting that dragon for hours.   Its little wonder  this sport has all but died....

I’ve been lucky enough to visit many stadiums in Poland over the years as you say our stadiums are dated in some cases very dated - while Buster has worked wonders on the kings Lynn stadium with out doubt the way I look at it is the stadiums in Poland are for speedway only here it’s very different KL is a stock car stadium that just happens to run speedway  others are dog stadiums- if we want to attract bigger crowds first thing promoters need to do is promote the sport and try to attract new fans the die hards are getting fewer and fewer as in my case was totally fed up by being taken for granted that I will turn up each week . 2021 is a massive season for the sport without doubt the question I’d be asking if I was a promoter is has my fan base found other things to do ? as in my case once you get out of the habit of going it’s hard to get it back . 

Sport in Poland is run by the government (it least it was last time i heard) and whatever  supporters want they get  where as in this country it was surended to the footlball  mafia years ago  and supporters have been brainwashed ever since   it is on television  24 /7  you can't get away from it it on nearly advert even if it not to do with football    Only footballers wash there hair exetra and many other ways . If you want to build a new stadium.its granted but try to build a sport stadium you don't stand a chance.     how much Speedway did you see during 2020 ??       just lots of Football rubbish mostly from abroad,,,  OH for the good old days.

7 hours ago, John Scrutton said:

Sport in Poland is run by the government (it least it was last time i heard) and whatever  supporters want they get  where as in this country it was surended to the footlball  mafia years ago  and supporters have been brainwashed ever since   it is on television  24 /7  you can't get away from it it on nearly advert even if it not to do with football    Only footballers wash there hair exetra and many other ways . If you want to build a new stadium.its granted but try to build a sport stadium you don't stand a chance.     how much Speedway did you see during 2020 ??       just lots of Football rubbish mostly from abroad,,,  OH for the good old days.

NOT sure Polish speedway is run by the government. Local officials may be involved but not on a national level.

there's about 600k Poles in the country, you'd think one or two would wander down to their local track 

26 minutes ago, ch958 said:

there's about 600k Poles in the country, you'd think one or two would wander down to their local track 

I went to the Plymouth v Young Lions match in September.

They had and marketed a big Polish/German style BBQ on the 3rd/4th turn run by a friendly Polish couple.

Great Food and speedway fans running it.

They explained that they and the Club are encouraging Polish fans and write marketing in Polish especially for them.

Maybe something that BSPL could pick up on for the 600,000 across the UK?

30 minutes ago, ch958 said:

When Gollob was at Ipswich he attracted a few Poles along but only a mini bus full. 

9 minutes ago, Spl77 said:

When Gollob was at Ipswich he attracted a few Poles along but only a mini bus full. 

Fair point but probably a lot more Poles living and working in UK now than then.

It's a common misconception among British Speedway fans that every Pole is a Speedway fan. 

For Poles it's about supporting their town. No club, no Speedway fans in Poland is pretty much how it works there. 

Also, just look at the difference in quality of stadia. Even if they are Speedway fans, it wouldn't take them long to give up on British Speedway. 

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's a common misconception among British Speedway fans that every Pole is a Speedway fan. 

For Poles it's about supporting their town. No club, no Speedway fans in Poland is pretty much how it works there. 

Also, just look at the difference in quality of stadia. Even if they are Speedway fans, it wouldn't take them long to give up on British Speedway. 

Said it before, I have been involved in the Polish community for forty years and have only met one person, in all that time, who was a speedway fan.

2 hours ago, Mr. Clemens said:

Said it before, I have been involved in the Polish community for forty years and have only met one person, in all that time, who was a speedway fan.

And  having worked with people from Poland most who come to this country only have one thing in mind work work and more work and earn as much as possible- going to speedway isn’t a top priority. 

I used to work with a Polish guy, huge Speedway fan, wouldn’t even think of going to Rye House to watch a meeting. Said he’d tried one meeting at Arena Essex in the Elite League, because it was the top league, found it boring and attending in Britain was a waste of time.

5 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The bottom bit is also a bit of a misconception among British fans. The very best stadiums in Poland, the purpose built ones are head and shoulders above most that we have to offer but the others aren’t that much better in terms of facilities. The tracks offer better racing generally however. 

Went to Bydgoszcz in 2019 for the Tomas Gollob benefit meeting and the place was like stepping back in time. Also there was one pass all afternoon and what made matters worse was this was the meeting when NKI had his bad crash that put him out of our play off meetings against Poole.

9 minutes ago, Clive Ward said:

Went to Bydgoszcz in 2019 for the Tomas Gollob benefit meeting and the place was like stepping back in time. Also there was one pass all afternoon and what made matters worse was this was the meeting when NKI had his bad crash that put him out of our play off meetings against Poole.

If you had gone again in 2020 you wouldn`t have recognised  the place- the back straight stand is magnificent along with the new pits complex. the improvements are not finished there the 1st/2nd bend is being done next. the racing was brilliant there in 2020, here is an example.

• Like 1

You can't expect Speedway Promoters to pay out thousands of pounds to improve toilets and other things when they rent the Stadium it must be at least up to the owners or 50/50      How many tracks are owned by their promoters. not many   even Peterborough is owned by  others althoaugh they only have Speedway Racing at that track.

6 minutes ago, John Scrutton said:

You can't expect Speedway Promoters to pay out thousands of pounds to improve toilets and other things when they rent the Stadium it must be at least up to the owners or 50/50      How many tracks are owned by their promoters. not many   even Peterborough is owned by  others althoaugh they only have Speedway Racing at that track.

Peterborough’s stadium is used by many other events through a normal summer, attracting crowds of many thousands.