British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

On 11/27/2020 at 8:51 AM, Haza said:

I’ve been lucky enough to visit many stadiums in Poland over the years as you say our stadiums are dated in some cases very dated - while Buster has worked wonders on the kings Lynn stadium with out doubt the way I look at it is the stadiums in Poland are for speedway only here it’s very different KL is a stock car stadium that just happens to run speedway  others are dog stadiums- if we want to attract bigger crowds first thing promoters need to do is promote the sport and try to attract new fans the die hards are getting fewer and fewer as in my case was totally fed up by being taken for granted that I will turn up each week . 2021 is a massive season for the sport without doubt the question I’d be asking if I was a promoter is has my fan base found other things to do ? as in my case once you get out of the habit of going it’s hard to get it back . 

I appreciate how much work Buster has done at Saddlebow road, turning what was a rundown venue into a more modern enterprise, but unfortunately the same cannot be said about the track. Itself.   What use to be regarded  as one of the best around when every rider wanted to race on ,  now is nothing more than a clay base follow the leader track.  I accept the stockcar  issue and the viability of everything, but it just illustrates the state the sport is in. 

When thinking about the reality of it all.  In a place with a vast population like Manchester ,   having one of the best race tracks in the world,  and seeing  the dismal attendance figures they attract,  you understand the popularity has all but gone.  Only us old die hard  fans remain...... What chance has the remaining clubs got....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, g13webb said:

I appreciate how much work Buster has done at Saddlebow road, turning what was a rundown venue into a more modern enterprise, but unfortunately the same cannot be said about the track. Itself.   What use to be regarded  as one of the best around when every rider wanted to race on ,  now is nothing more than a clay base follow the leader track.  I accept the stockcar  issue and the viability of everything, but it just illustrates the state the sport is in. 

When thinking about the reality of it all.  In a place with a vast population like Manchester ,   having one of the best race tracks in the world,  and seeing  the dismal attendance figures they attract,  you understand the popularity has all but gone.  Only us old die hard  fans remain...... What chance has the remaining clubs got....

About 1 in 3000 people (at most), in the UK attend domestic Speedway each week nationally.. 

Imagine if they could get just 2 in every 3000? 

100% increase in gates and revenue..

The Aces get around 1200 with the conurbation of Gtr Manchester having 2.5 million living within it, with the extremeties of it being around 45 mins away by car..

The attendance figures for domestic Speedway are pitiful really when you consider that the 'local track' is invariably the only one for miles and miles, and has a complete monopoly in that area, with no other teams competing for a fan's following like for example football has with lots of cities having more than one team..

Maybe one day the sport will wake up and properly invest in a true national, joined up, collective, marketing campaign, rather than many clubs doing their own thing on a pretty basic level locally..

100's of Thousands of pounds are spent on paying 'employees' when hardly anyone knows your business even exists, and minimal seems to be invested in changing that lack of awareness.. 

A very strange business plan..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, g13webb said:

Totally agree about the track it’s rubbish to what it used to be follow the leader tracks won’t get fans back or attract new ones  but as I say it’s a stock car stadium that just so happen to stage the odd  speedway meeting  and that’s what earns the stadium and Buster money so who am I to criticise? Can’t fault him . But as you say about Belle Vue poor attendance figures there won’t get Buster to alter the KL track .

32 minutes ago, Haza said:

Totally agree about the track it’s rubbish to what it used to be follow the leader tracks won’t get fans back or attract new ones  but as I say it’s a stock car stadium that just so happen to stage the odd  speedway meeting  and that’s what earns the stadium and Buster money so who am I to criticise? Can’t fault him . But as you say about Belle Vue poor attendance figures there won’t get Buster to alter the KL track .

Amazing really - not that long ago you would've been considered mad to suggest Foxhall is a better race track than compost corner

Now it's a given.......:)

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 8:51 AM, Haza said:

I’ve been lucky enough to visit many stadiums in Poland over the years as you say our stadiums are dated in some cases very dated - while Buster has worked wonders on the kings Lynn stadium with out doubt the way I look at it is the stadiums in Poland are for speedway only here it’s very different KL is a stock car stadium that just happens to run speedway  others are dog stadiums- if we want to attract bigger crowds first thing promoters need to do is promote the sport and try to attract new fans the die hards are getting fewer and fewer as in my case was totally fed up by being taken for granted that I will turn up each week . 2021 is a massive season for the sport without doubt the question I’d be asking if I was a promoter is has my fan base found other things to do ? as in my case once you get out of the habit of going it’s hard to get it back . 

I hate Polish stadiums, just cold and concrete, the racing feels so far away, no close contact with the riders, no hanging over the pit area or chatting with those standing in the riders stand for Polish fans, nah not for me.

Can't bloody wait to get back supporting King's Lynn Stars, absence has made the heart grow fonder. 

Yes the racing needs to be great at every stadium, no fan wants to watch follow the leader, equally I don't want to watch riders just making mistakes for the passes to happen, lots of racing lines is the way to go for our sport ......... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Trees said:

I hate Polish stadiums, just cold and concrete, the racing feels so far away, no close contact with the riders, no hanging over the pit area or chatting with those standing in the riders stand for Polish fans, nah not for me.

Can't bloody wait to get back supporting King's Lynn Stars, absence has made the heart grow fonder. 

Yes the racing needs to be great at every stadium, no fan wants to watch follow the leader, equally I don't want to watch riders just making mistakes for the passes to happen, lots of racing lines is the way to go for our sport ......... 

You obviously haven’t been to Warsaw, Torun or seen the improvements at Bydgoszcz or Gdańsk or a few others for that matter . Polish fans are very knowledgable and very keen to talk to British fans, if you make the effort. Travel broadens the mind.

if you think Kings Lynn is good, you need to get around more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Haza said:

our attendances are no different to anyone else better in many cases and that includes kings lynn !! remember this is manchester which has many sporting events unlike places like kings lynn etc !! 

1 hour ago, Ringitsneck said:

You obviously haven’t been to Warsaw, Torun or seen the improvements at Bydgoszcz or Gdańsk or a few others for that matter . Polish fans are very knowledgable and very keen to talk to British fans, if you make the effort. Travel broadens the mind.

if you think Kings Lynn is good, you need to get around more.

I’ve been lucky enough to travel to many Polish tracks it’s a completely different experience to here the atmosphere for one which is 100% better and exciting than here Zielona Gora has to be the best I’ve experienced for that the tracks are normally well prepared and the racing is normally good as well it’s totally a different world from here in the UK 

1 minute ago, geoff58 said:

our attendances are no different to anyone else better in many cases and that includes kings lynn !! remember this is manchester which has many sporting events unlike places like kings lynn etc !! 

I wasn’t having a pop at Belle Vue in the slightest the point I was making with a great race track like you have you should be getting much bigger crowds but  if you can’t get bigger crowds what chance does others have ?as you say you have many other sporting events as well 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Haza said:

I wasn’t having a pop at Belle Vue in the slightest the point I was making with a great race track like you have you should be getting much bigger crowds but  if you can’t get bigger crowds what chance does others have ?as you say you have many other sporting events as well 

it's the nature of the beast having 2 of the biggest prem football teams rugby league & union Lancs cricket host of non league football teams plus the normal social life of a everyday person!! sadly it's a tough battle !! but the promoters & management we have now are doing a great job !!

Edited by geoff58
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Haza said:

I’ve been lucky enough to travel to many Polish tracks it’s a completely different experience to here the atmosphere for one which is 100% better and exciting than here Zielona Gora has to be the best I’ve experienced for that the tracks are normally well prepared and the racing is normally good as well it’s totally a different world from here in the UK 

I've been to many Polish league meetings and tracks also and completely agree with above. Sadly they are a different league to here on all levels. Lets hope things get back on the up next year here.

• Like 1

Kings Lynn must be a good club/promoter to ride for as all of last seasons top 6 have all said they want to be back of 2021. only 1 missing is the No 7 the German but he never rode for them..would be interested. to know whether he too would like to join them.

22 minutes ago, John Scrutton said:

Kings Lynn must be a good club/promoter to ride for as all of last seasons top 6 have all said they want to be back of 2021. only 1 missing is the No 7 the German but he never rode for them..would be interested. to know whether he too would like to join them.

Very unlikely Robert Lambert will be back . 

Its easy to build Stadia in Poland with lashings of Euro money I! 

Edited by Guest