British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

2 hours ago, sommelier said:

Another shock announcement of a Aussie making a come back in the following days!

Johnno?

Its not Kings Lynn!

4 hours ago, tellboy said:

Blimey,he's nearly 50 isn't he.

Yep, he's 50 in October.  Sullivan is 46 tomorrow.
Crump is the youngster at 45.

13 minutes ago, Mimmo said:

Yep, he's 50 in October.  Sullivan is 46 tomorrow.
Crump is the youngster at 45.

British speedway youth policy in full swing.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, M.D said:

British speedway youth policy in full swing.

But just look at the knowledge the youngsters could gain from people like Crump and Johnston.One outstanding class act and a very decent rider from their era who will no doubt pass on their knowledge to our youngsters.That in itself could prove invaluable to our youngsters if they want to further their career.Listen and learn from people that have been there and done it.

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I think we are going to get more and more of this in light of COVID and Poland.....clubs are going to prefer UK based riders who will prioritise our domestic racing and not spend money flying European riders in and out. 

Rules out Brady Kurtz then! :o

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Rules out Brady Kurtz then! :o

nope riding for Aces this season :t: 

3 hours ago, tellboy said:

But just look at the knowledge the youngsters could gain from people like Crump and Johnston.One outstanding class act and a very decent rider from their era who will no doubt pass on their knowledge to our youngsters.That in itself could prove invaluable to our youngsters if they want to further their career.Listen and learn from people that have been there and done it.

I jest of course..

Many ex UK riders do this behind the scenes for our youth and in my opinion youth wise, we are starting to move forward.

We are starting to show the signs of this, its a long term programme that was implemented a few years back that is starting to show a few good prospects and in the future, a few more I hope..

7 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Johnno?

He announced on social media many months ago that he was making a full time comeback. Didn’t he ride in a couple of meetings in Australia not too long ago?

• Like 1

I think we may see quite a few ex riders coming out of retirement now , leagues that weak the likes of Crump and Sullivan would still average 7+. 

Edited by Pinny

Personally I’d have thought giving young British riders a chance would be far better for the longer term future of British speedway than giving has beens a team spot . 

• Like 2

Just now, Haza said:

Personally I’d have thought giving young British riders a chance would be far better for the longer term future of British speedway than giving has beens a team spot . 

Who's to say young British riders aren't going to be a chance also?

So Bridger has been retired for 4 years and had a few problems in the past(who doesn't) but to class him as a has been is out of order.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Who's to say young British riders aren't going to be a chance also?

So Bridger has been retired for 4 years and had a few problems in the past(who doesn't) but to class him as a has been is out of order.

Hardly out of order, he was well beyond his sell by date before he retired so a has been is probably a fair comment. 

He was without doubt a very talented rider but way too reliant on sponsorship. At the end of the day he was self employed - same as me. If i turn up to work with inappropriate tools I lose work so I dont see how speedway is any different. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Hardly out of order, he was well beyond his sell by date before he retired so a has been is probably a fair comment. 

He was without doubt a very talented rider but way too reliant on sponsorship. At the end of the day he was self employed - same as me. If i turn up to work with inappropriate tools I lose work so I dont see how speedway is any different. 

So a has been could be referred to probably half of the leagues riders according to your interpretation.

Think you will find most riders are reliant on sponsorship.

Edited by tellboy