British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

1 hour ago, Warriors said:

Surly now this league is weaker than the championship, so the prices will reflect this,:rolleyes:

what price $#!t creek?:rolleyes:

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, tellboy said:

Big blow,Riss has opted for Denmark over the UK.

We should be OK, Terry Betts and Tomas Topinka are now on standby.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2021 at 10:23 AM, Speedball said:

So announced that it's 6 rides to a total of 35.5 plus a British youngster graded at four and below.

Can't see the averages on the BSPA site but would assume Cook, Jorgensen, Riss, Kerr, Proctor and Bridger come to under that.

Re the comments about team strengths..

I read this post at the time and thought "that looks a good team, no wonder Glasgow were fighting to keep their side together"..

It was when I came out of the thread I realised I was in the Kings Lynn one...

Not any criticism by the way, but just an observation as to how team strengths are now unrecognisable from just 5 years ago, never mind 10, never mind 20...

For me though, as long as the leagues have credibility and integrity, and each team are allowed to build a competitive team, then it is 100% the right thing to do..

I would suggest though if any price increases are planned, then maybe they should leave it for this year...;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Re the comments about team strengths..

I read this post at the time and thought "that looks a good team, no wonder Glasgow were fighting to keep their side together"..

It was when I came out of the thread I realised I was in the Kings Lynn one...

Not any criticism by the way, but just an observation as to how team strengths are now unrecognisable from just 5 years ago, never mind 10, never mind 20...

For me though, as long as the leagues have credibility and integrity, and each team are allowed to build a competitive team, then it is 100% the right thing to do..

I would suggest though if any price increases are planned, then maybe they should leave it for this year...;)

Well that team you've quoted would come to over 45.5 points in the Championship... Much more than the current limit, and considering King's Lynn look like one of the weaker teams in the Premiership, it's hardly a fair comparison... Any of the Premiership teams would demolish any of the Championship teams, even Eastbourne or Leicester who look to be the strongest. It's a bit unfair to say the leagues are the same standard, because they clearly are not.

I do understand what you're saying though, all the big names (Zagar, Fricke, Lambert, Lindgren, Woffinden) have all gone and it's a real shame. But as long as the riders in the race are all of similar standard, it should be an entertaining meeting either way, doesn't matter how big the name of the rider is, that would just cause more financial issues. I like the ideas that the British speedway is doing, but they're not going about it very well... A massive lack of information for fans and so far, no news on a new race format which stops the likes of Jordan Palin being in the same race as Craig Cook or Nicolai Klindt.

8 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Well that team you've quoted would come to over 45.5 points in the Championship... Much more than the current limit, and considering King's Lynn look like one of the weaker teams in the Premiership, it's hardly a fair comparison... Any of the Premiership teams would demolish any of the Championship teams, even Eastbourne or Leicester who look to be the strongest. It's a bit unfair to say the leagues are the same standard, because they clearly are not.

I do understand what you're saying though, all the big names (Zagar, Fricke, Lambert, Lindgren, Woffinden) have all gone and it's a real shame. But as long as the riders in the race are all of similar standard, it should be an entertaining meeting either way, doesn't matter how big the name of the rider is, that would just cause more financial issues. I like the ideas that the British speedway is doing, but they're not going about it very well... A massive lack of information for fans and so far, no news on a new race format which stops the likes of Jordan Palin being in the same race as Craig Cook or Nicolai Klindt.

As I say, no criticism, (or comparison), it was just I saw Cook at No1 and presumed I was in the Glasgow thread, (forgot he had gone to KL)..

As you say, the PL team will still hammer a Champ team due to the Champ team being diluted  to maintain the gap..

It was just a bit of shock to see how weak the top league had become, 'if' that is a confirmed PL team obviously...

Could still be a competitive season though if all teams are truly similar from the outset so let's hope they can all put out such teams and get some decent racing for the first year of Eurosports coverage..

If it takes off then 'new stars' will be found, and the 'old stars' won't be known to any new audience watching anyway, so their absence won't diminish the standard perception to them..

And that type of team must be more affordable surely? Which can only be a positive...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Warriors said:

Surly now this league is weaker than the championship, so the prices will reflect this,:rolleyes:

What do you think. :nono:

11 hours ago, Warriors said:

Interesting Point,but don’t think they will.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Interesting Point,but don’t think they will.

In my opinion if and it’s a massive IF the season starts at some point durning 2021 we should all be grateful we have racing in 2021  team strengths is almost secondary for the coming season . May 1st start date is very optimistic in my opinion though .As for admission costs they won’t go down they never do 2019 charge should be retained.Any club that put admission up is very brave . 

• Like 1

Things could swing either way for Speedway if it gets to start. 

With what's been near 12 months of restrictions the idea of open air sports may appeal, even to those that's never been before. 

British Speedway need to be prepared & push local area marketing. 

• Like 3

On 1/23/2021 at 1:15 PM, mrss said:

No need to worry. Jake Knight is making a comeback so is Paul Hurry. 

Both pushing for a rising star place....

On 24 January 2021 at 2:18 PM, Daniel Smith said:

Things could swing either way for Speedway if it gets to start. 

With what's been near 12 months of restrictions the idea of open air sports may appeal, even to those that's never been before. 

British Speedway need to be prepared & push local area marketing. 

I think that if the tracks can keep their pre Covid crowd levels then they will have done well...

Two main reasons..

One, the demographic of the fan base and the % level of it that is in the higher risk categories,  there are still many questions to be answered around how the various vaccines will cope with the usual mutant strains that evolve from a virus, let alone deal with the original one...

And two, the financial hit to everyone that will inevitably have to be taken to pay for the huge black hole in the countries finances...

Speedway (and sport in general) will be a long way down the priority order as to how money is spent I would think..

And a possible third impact is a bit more random, but my mates and I have all had Season Tickets at Old Trafford for a few years but probably won't be renewing..

The reason? Not particularly financial for us, but simply we have got out of the habit of going, and pretty much decided that watching the game in the comfort of your own armchair is "fine" and that spending over a grand a year, plus circa £100 a match getting there, eating and drinking, isn't really money well spent..

Many ex fans say on here how after a month or so of not going to Speedway that they didnt miss it, and that they too often simply attended out of habit...

In marketing it is reckoned that if you do something/or stop doing something, for 28 days it becomes your 'new normal, hence campaigns are often around four weeks in length to try and influence that change..

Getting people to go back to doing something after well over 18 months has passed will be a serious challenge and will need a very strong campaign of advertising I would say...

Lets hope with Eurosports involvement and support the campaign can be successful..

But the size of the challenge certainly shouldn't be underestimated..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Smack on again MikeBV.

I was raised on a home meeting every week keeping the habit. Never looked at what else was on.  A few early rain offs could be catastrophic on attendences when we start up again. 

• Like 1