British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

On 1/24/2021 at 2:18 PM, Daniel Smith said:

Things could swing either way for Speedway if it gets to start. 

With what's been near 12 months of restrictions the idea of open air sports may appeal, even to those that's never been before. 

British Speedway need to be prepared & push local area marketing. 

I thought speedway missed a massive opportunity last Spring.  If they had been able to put meetings on during lockdown 1.0 when no other sports were live I'm sure it would have been televised and would have attracted mainstream sports fans.  Some of whom might well have liked what they watched.

I agree that families are probably itching to experience some kind of live entertainment outside the confines of their own home, so I'd definitely view starting before other mainstream sports are allowed to have supporters could be a massive opportunity.

Take the point that some unfortunate people no longer have the disposable income they once had but there are also a lot of people who have retained their jobs and been unable to spend any disposable income for nigh on a year.  

15 hours ago, Lefty said:

Smack on again MikeBV.

I was raised on a home meeting every week keeping the habit. Never looked at what else was on.  A few early rain offs could be catastrophic on attendences when we start up again. 

The plan they have should defintely include a consistent weekly fixture list to get people back into the habit and routine for going.. 

And also do some discounted "bulk buy" tickets, say five meetings for fifty quid? 

Getting people there is key so all incentives should be used to get them back in the stadiums.

Maybe also raffle off a season ticket at each of the first five meetings?  

£1 a ticket or 10 for a fiver, would see a good many fivers being spent I would suggest and make far more per season ticket than selling one would for ten matches or so..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Simply perfect ideas - sincerely. But if we ever dream that they might be picked up and utilised by the BSPA you need to find some way to allow one of the Promoters to say  " I;ve come up with a couple of good ideas,. How about this"! Coming from a fan or any kind of anoutsider - has in the past, been a definte NO NO.

11 hours ago, mikebv said:

The plan they have should defintely include a consistent weekly fixture list to get people back into the habit and routine for going.. 

And also do some discounted "bulk buy" tickets, say five meetings for fifty quid? 

Getting people there is key so all incentives should be used to get them back in the stadiums.

Maybe also raffle off a season ticket at each of the first five meetings?  

£1 a ticket or 10 for a fiver, would see a good many fivers being spent I would suggest and make far more per season ticket than selling one would for ten matches or so..

Multibuy tickets are definitely the way forward. I've still got my unused 10 meeting  Eastbourne pass from last season. Hopefully i get the chance to use it this year.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 4:44 PM, mikebv said:

I think that if the tracks can keep their pre Covid crowd levels then they will have done well...

Two main reasons..

One, the demographic of the fan base and the % level of it that is in the higher risk categories,  there are still many questions to be answered around how the various vaccines will cope with the usual mutant strains that evolve from a virus, let alone deal with the original one...

And two, the financial hit to everyone that will inevitably have to be taken to pay for the huge black hole in the countries finances...

Speedway (and sport in general) will be a long way down the priority order as to how money is spent I would think..

And a possible third impact is a bit more random, but my mates and I have all had Season Tickets at Old Trafford for a few years but probably won't be renewing..

The reason? Not particularly financial for us, but simply we have got out of the habit of going, and pretty much decided that watching the game in the comfort of your own armchair is "fine" and that spending over a grand a year, plus circa £100 a match getting there, eating and drinking, isn't really money well spent..

Many ex fans say on here how after a month or so of not going to Speedway that they didnt miss it, and that they too often simply attended out of habit...

In marketing it is reckoned that if you do something/or stop doing something, for 28 days it becomes your 'new normal, hence campaigns are often around four weeks in length to try and influence that change..

Getting people to go back to doing something after well over 18 months has passed will be a serious challenge and will need a very strong campaign of advertising I would say...

Lets hope with Eurosports involvement and support the campaign can be successful..

But the size of the challenge certainly shouldn't be underestimated..

I think when live spectator  sport does return , with the length of time it has been away there will be a huge demand. Premier League football, top level rugby, International cricket, Wimbledon, Silverstone to name a few. Sadly I don't think speedway will be one of those sports. With an alarming  reliance on admission money to  stay afloat, the group of people who may be more nervous to return to the fold are the over 50's, predominately speedway's demographic core fan base. Add to that another watered down league when you think it could't get watered down anymore, I dare  say this will be reflected by admission prices, yes I doubt that too. I feel for Eurosport, they have jumped in with both feet and ended up with not much to work with. A 7 team top division was painful enough, try explaining to new fans a top division with only 6 teams, good luck with that. As usual after the BSPA conference, optimism is high from everybody in the sport, even at Swindon after their late withdrawal, A brand new stadium to look forward to which ironically should have been built 3 years ago while houses shoot up ten a penny around it. It beggars belief why it was not built last year when there was definitely no speedway  or spectators to disrupt its build. As usual the proof of the pudding will be in the eating and for all the yearly eternal optimism nothing much will change,  modern rocket ships    on unsuitable, outdated British tracks. Covid and the Polish juggernaut League hasn't helped  but I just can't see how the good times are ever going to roll again in this country. no matter what the promoters try  to do.

• Like 4

It's very quiet on here regarding anyone's thoughts on a team .losing Robert was a massive blow,but not really unexpected,then losing Eric with the structure as it is this year is massive. I assume Cookie is pencilled in at No1 but what about the engine room and the rising star? Proctor ,Tj and Lewi @ 2,4 and 6 or 2,3 and 6 but where is out 2nd heat leader and 2nd string coming from? Richie Worrall as a 2nd string?, could MPT be coming back?(wishful thinking )

Any thoughts?

Cook

Lawson

Jorgensen

Kerr

Proctor

Bridger

Future / Rising Star

no idea if that fits

23 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Cook

Lawson

Jorgensen

Kerr

Proctor

Bridger

Future / Rising Star

no idea if that fits

Pretty sure that team would easily fit but to be honest I’ll be happy to just see some speedway this year.

Edited by Clive Ward
Hadn’t wrote my reply

See most of Lynn's home fixtures are on a Thursday night on the draft copy.That's buggered it if we get a season going,i work Thursday evenings now.Going have to try and get someone to cover me now ffs for about 10 meetings.It seems it never rains but it pours for me at the moment. 

Lots of people saying Lawson which i would not mind but i think he will go to the Witches with them Losing Jake Allen. 

3 hours ago, Greg said:

Lots of people saying Lawson which i would not mind but i think he will go to the Witches with them Losing Jake Allen. 

Lawson doesn't fit,,, unless even more changes are made 

• Like 1

Somebody on Facebook suggesting that today’s Speedway Star states no Cook, is this the case?

If that’s true then we’re screwed. That’s the top 3 all gone and no quality replacements available. 

• Like 1