British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

5 hours ago, arnieg said:

No - there is no contract between the the English and Polish clubs.

The English club would have to sue the rider.

But when the rider signed the contract with the Polish club, he signed a contract that allowed him 1 other club, or 2 if his Polish club was not in the top Polish league, so technically it's the Polish club who are breaking the contract.

16 minutes ago, hyderd said:

But when the rider signed the contract with the Polish club, he signed a contract that allowed him 1 other club, or 2 if his Polish club was not in the top Polish league, so technically it's the Polish club who are breaking the contract.

Can you elaborate, I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

If the rider rides in England and (say) Sweden it is the rider who is breaking his contract with the Polish club

If the rider choses to ride in Poland, but not England, then it is once again the rider who is in breach of contract  - this time his UK contract.

It would be a bit like Astra Zeneca signing two contracts, one with the EU and one with the UK govt. guaranteeing both first dibs on the vaccine they produce!

11 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

At the risk of repeating myself it’s a team built on a budget, otherwise I’m sure the extra money would have been spent to brig it up to the points limit. No doubt having to fund the Panthers too is a large part of that. 

It looks like a 5th/6th place team unless Bridger explodes back into the scene, if he ends up being a heat leader then everyone moves down a spot in the order and it looks a stronger side, seems unlikely though. 

What I will say is that I’ve got some enthusiasm back for it, am actually looking forward to going at some point and I haven’t said that too many times since Holder/Batchelor gate in 2017. Fingers crossed the track is slicker so we get done better racing.

You are right, it is a team built on the cheap. It annoys me every year when Kings Lynn never win anything. I am a bad loser and get pissed off when the Stars lose. I will be at trackside in May for the start of the season. Nearly every season I say I am not going to speedway again but every week I go back.

12 hours ago, Haza said:

Had to smile about the press release- champagne corks will be popping on news of Riss return - was just saying to the other half get that champagne out I just fancy a glass for breakfast as you do  - who writes these press releases? Am surprised they didn’t get the old favourite quote in about making an emotional return to the club though :)))

People are delusional if they think promotion had anything to do with persuading Riss to change his mind, once he knew like a lot of other riders that thinking we would be in a worse position than the EU, he was begging to come back, now a lot of other riders who chose to give the UK a miss , oh well maybe next year.

55 minutes ago, Warriors said:

People are delusional if they think promotion had anything to do with persuading Riss to change his mind, once he knew like a lot of other riders that thinking we would be in a worse position than the EU, he was begging to come back, now a lot of other riders who chose to give the UK a miss , oh well maybe next year.

People would be delusional,especially considering the promotion hasn't claimed they persuaded him to change his mind.

• Like 1

Was going to say the same, nobody claimed they had :blink:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, arnieg said:

Can you elaborate, I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

If the rider rides in England and (say) Sweden it is the rider who is breaking his contract with the Polish club

If the rider choses to ride in Poland, but not England, then it is once again the rider who is in breach of contract  - this time his UK contract.

It would be a bit like Astra Zeneca signing two contracts, one with the EU and one with the UK govt. guaranteeing both first dibs on the vaccine they produce!

I was replying to this.     Will be interesting to see how the situation with Holder, Bewley, Kurtz, Klindt and others riding in Poland pans out, at the end of the day if their clubs demand that they remain over there and don’t travel due to covid then that’s what will happen.

The riders signed Polish contracts that allowed them to ride in 1 other league or 2 if they are riding in the Polish 2nd division, if the Polish club then force them to only ride in Poland, it is them and not the Rider who are breaking the contract. The only people who can force people to stay in their country due to Covid are the country's government  and not the clubs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hyderd said:

I was replying to this.     Will be interesting to see how the situation with Holder, Bewley, Kurtz, Klindt and others riding in Poland pans out, at the end of the day if their clubs demand that they remain over there and don’t travel due to covid then that’s what will happen.

The riders signed Polish contracts that allowed them to ride in 1 other league or 2 if they are riding in the Polish 2nd division, if the Polish club then force them to only ride in Poland, it is them and not the Rider who are breaking the contract. The only people who can force people to stay in their country due to Covid are the country's government  and not the clubs.

I would suggest that in this case 'force majure' would apply to defeat any claim for breach of contract.

https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com/3-107-5776?transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)&firstPage=true

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

I would suggest that in this case 'force majure' would apply to defeat any claim for breach of contract.

https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com/3-107-5776?transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)&firstPage=true

The concept of force majeure is derived from civil law and is not fully recognised under English common law, therefore it should always be fully defined. 

On 3/26/2021 at 7:19 AM, Blupanther said:

I fancy Lynn to finish in the top six...:)

No doubt they will still struggle and might yet make a hash of it! It's hardly a forgeone conclusion is it?

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

No doubt they will still struggle and might yet make a hash of it! It's hardly a forgeone conclusion is it?

:oops: :icon_smile_clown: . Yes, definitely.

On 3/27/2021 at 7:32 AM, hyderd said:

True I was talking to a very good friend in Poland and told me that the national lockdown in Poland now will last until at least till June. So it could effect british speedway? 

I see Richard Knight has been appointed Commercial Manager at Saddlebow.  Is Robin Brundle is involved at the club ?  Not seen his name mentioned for sometime 

5 minutes ago, semion said:

I see Richard Knight has been appointed Commercial Manager at Saddlebow.  Is Robin Brundle is involved at the club ?  Not seen his name mentioned for sometime 

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.38702

And Peterborough!!

2 hours ago, semion said:

What was his job before,been at Lynn for a few years in some capacity.I know he was involved in gaining sponsorship etc.