British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

16 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

:D

KL take some beating with theirs though. Swindon and Sheffield give you 24 hours, Poole are giving 48 hours notice. But KL make you wait nearly a week!! :o

Well, i'll welcome any title for the Stars.. We seem to be unbeatable in that department, unfortunately ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

With a TS format I don't think strong reserves add anything, a stronger top 5 is far more important now. 

Teams have performed better home and away with a top 1 and 5 plus strong 3 and 4.

We're back to where reserves don't win you meeting anymore. 

I think you need at least one, there were many issues with last years team but the main one was that once MPT moved up we scored poorly from reserve away from home for the rest of the season. 

Also I can’t see the budget stretching to Lambert, Cook and another heat leader who would command decent money. Would rather try and recruit young and hungry riders at the bottom end to give us strength right down the order. 

What I do agree with in your original post is Connor Mountain, not a bad shout for number seven if his average permits and would give extra scope for the bottom three. 

Be interesting to see who the first name announced is.

Think Riss is pretty much a certainty for 2020 with him being an asset and rider of the season.

Really worried about the top end of the team though if Lambert decides to miss the UK and Iversen can't be tempted to do a full season.

Edited by Speedball
Typo

99% sure we will see a top 3 of Lambert, Cook & Riss and I think It'll be Lambert announced at the end of this week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

I think you need at least one, there were many issues with last years team but the main one was that once MPT moved up we scored poorly from reserve away from home for the rest of the season. 

Also I can’t see the budget stretching to Lambert, Cook and another heat leader who would command decent money. Would rather try and recruit young and hungry riders at the bottom end to give us strength right down the order. 

What I do agree with in your original post is Connor Mountain, not a bad shout for number seven if his average permits and would give extra scope for the bottom three. 

Problem wasn't the reserves in 2019. We had an uncompetitive top 5.

1. Cook 7.61

2. Lambert 7.12

3. Riss 5.40

4. Toft 5.78

5. Kerr 4.00

6. Jørgensen 3.78

33.69 away last season from this 6, so we'd of needed a 10 pointer to have won away. 

Some fans asking for a similar team next year. Do people honestly think this 6 can add 10 points to their averages overall. 

Deluded if they think it's possible, especially against 4 meetings away at Sheffield and Swindon. 

It's absolutely imperative that your No1 & No5 are solid as is the No3 & No4. 

Riders at No2, No6 & No7 should be the loose cannons, hit and miss guys, 5 average or less, just there to pick up the scraps. 

The rider's in the top 5 of the team you have to believe can score you at least 7 away between them with 1 or 2 of them scoring double points.

There's absolutely no point in reserves having a 5-6 average if riders in the top 5 are flopping. 

How many times have a reserve banged in massive scores and the team still hasn't gained a point away? More often than winning that's for sure. 

IRR to is another reason a big top 5 is required. 

An ideal winning team would be:

1. 9.00 ave

2. 4.50

3. 8.00

4. 6.50

5. 8.00

6. 3.00

7. 3.00

Every team manager should look at their team like "could our top 5 pull back an 8 point deficit after heat 8 away"?

I'd always build a team where I'd expect 5-1's against in heats 2 & 8.

The aim for the other heats of the meeting is to pick up less last places than opposition up to heat 13. From heat 13 you'd look for the killer instinct to kick in from your big guns, at least taking a point every away meeting. 

When I see a team that's "strength in depth", straight away, even at home, you put yourself on the back foot and more often than not are chasing meetings throughout. When the chips are down, you don't ever have enough to come back or you're hanging on for dear life to maintain a lead. 

I think it's imperative that at the start of the season, teams only use 7 points maximum on reserves. 

I think you are probably overthinking it a little! I did say the main problem was poor scoring reserves last year among many other issues, and I think having a good reserve who can produce the goods in heats 2, 8, 12 & 14 is really important. MPT showed that in 2018. 

Again I agree with one part of your post in that we can’t have five or six of last years team back and expect success, it can be no more than four IMO. I’m not keen on hanging riders out to dry but we can all see from the averages who didn’t cut the mustard away from home last season. 

Based on very little other than the fact that he has reportedly signed for a Premiership team and he had a spell with us in 2017, and this is probably a 2+2=5 suggestion but I wonder if Tomas H Jonasson might be lining up at reserve on 4.18? 

Other than his tendency to pick up injuries I don’t think he would be a bad signing in that average. 

3 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think you are probably overthinking it a little! I did say the main problem was poor scoring reserves last year among many other issues, and I think having a good reserve who can produce the goods in heats 2, 8, 12 & 14 is really important. MPT showed that in 2018. 

Spot on. 

Imagine Nick Morris at reserve on 5.38. You’d think he’d clean up and be a trump card, at least for a couple of months.

Regardless, the key is to sign riders:

who are on “false” averages, like Morris, Hans Andersen, Musielak and NKI, or

who are on an upward trajectory, like Lambert, Allen, Riss, Perks, Kurtz, Holder, Bewley, Lidsey, Pickering and Becker, and

a couple of big hitters for heats 13 and 15.

3 hours ago, Dandelion said:

How about Brady Kurtz? A top 3 of Brady, Craig and Robert backed up by the likes of Erik and Lewis would be a decent top 5... Would leave a bit of room at reserve too... How about something like...

Robert Lambert ©      7.61    GBR
Erik Riss                       6.61    GER
Craig Cook                   7.59    GBR
Richard Lawson          5.64    GBR
Brady Kurtz                  7.54    AUS
Lewis Kerr                    5.43    GBR
Connor Mountain        2.00    GBR

Total:                            42.42

Not sure whether Connor is ready but can't think of any other 2.00ers that could do a decent job at King's Lynn? But considering he's born in King's Lynn, it would be a nice story... He's never ridden for them though? Not even in the NL... Richard Lawson has not been mention anywhere else? And Brady Kurtz would do well at King's Lynn imo and where else would he go if not King's Lynn? Don't want to lose him from British speedway... Robert and Craig are a must keep, but not as a partnership as they seem to take eachother off a lot!! And Erik is great, especially at number 2... Can't see Lewis Kerr being anywhere else, and to have him at reserve is where he's best...
Nice British core to the team at the former international track...

kurtz replacing fricke at b/vue !!

2 hours ago, Speedball said:

Be interesting to see who the first name announced is.

Think Riss is pretty much a certainty for 2020 with him being an asset and rider of the season.

Really worried about the top end of the team though if Lambert decides to miss the UK and Iversen can't be tempted to do a full season.

With no GP’s or U21 competitions I’d be gobsmacked if Lambert didn’t ride in the UK in 2020. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Problem wasn't the reserves in 2019. We had an uncompetitive top 5.

1. Cook 7.61

2. Lambert 7.12

3. Riss 5.40

4. Toft 5.78

5. Kerr 4.00

6. Jørgensen 3.78

33.69 away last season from this 6, so we'd of needed a 10 pointer to have won away. 

Some fans asking for a similar team next year. Do people honestly think this 6 can add 10 points to their averages overall. 

Deluded if they think it's possible, especially against 4 meetings away at Sheffield and Swindon. 

It's absolutely imperative that your No1 & No5 are solid as is the No3 & No4. 

Riders at No2, No6 & No7 should be the loose cannons, hit and miss guys, 5 average or less, just there to pick up the scraps. 

The rider's in the top 5 of the team you have to believe can score you at least 7 away between them with 1 or 2 of them scoring double points.

There's absolutely no point in reserves having a 5-6 average if riders in the top 5 are flopping. 

How many times have a reserve banged in massive scores and the team still hasn't gained a point away? More often than winning that's for sure. 

IRR to is another reason a big top 5 is required. 

An ideal winning team would be:

1. 9.00 ave

2. 4.50

3. 8.00

4. 6.50

5. 8.00

6. 3.00

7. 3.00

Every team manager should look at their team like "could our top 5 pull back an 8 point deficit after heat 8 away"?

I'd always build a team where I'd expect 5-1's against in heats 2 & 8.

The aim for the other heats of the meeting is to pick up less last places than opposition up to heat 13. From heat 13 you'd look for the killer instinct to kick in from your big guns, at least taking a point every away meeting. 

When I see a team that's "strength in depth", straight away, even at home, you put yourself on the back foot and more often than not are chasing meetings throughout. When the chips are down, you don't ever have enough to come back or you're hanging on for dear life to maintain a lead. 

I think it's imperative that at the start of the season, teams only use 7 points maximum on reserves. 

Very well thought out post. Hopefully Robert will return, but if he doesn't then I can't see any great improvement in this seasons crop of riders if that's the way the management are going to play it. My gut feeling says we should have a complete clear out, and start again, but that's easier said than done, so I guess we just wait (not too long I hope) and see what they come up with? I'm hoping they can construct a team that really excites me, not just the same old faces again.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bunce said:

Very well thought out post. Hopefully Robert will return, but if he doesn't then I can't see any great improvement in this seasons crop of riders if that's the way the management are going to play it. My gut feeling says we should have a complete clear out, and start again, but that's easier said than done, so I guess we just wait (not too long I hope) and see what they come up with? I'm hoping they can construct a team that really excites me, not just the same old faces again.

So you don't want continuity then, thought that was what the fans wanted .......

We have had continuity , that didn't get us anywhere. I want a winning team that's going to challenge for the premiership title.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Trees said:

So you don't want continuity then, thought that was what the fans wanted .......

What fans want is continuity of an entertaining, winning team. Not continuity from a team that's already a bag of s#!+. 

At the end of the day, Buster isn't interested in winning the league. As long as the crowds turn up and the rider wages are low he's on a winner. 

You will know his thinking by the team this year. 

If Jørgensen, Kerr, Porsing, MPT are in the team you know just making a profit is priority. 

In sport you can't do that to succeed. You need more ambition, speculate to accumulate.