British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

Announce 7 riders on one day - you get one headline and one story

Announce 7 riders over a period of time you get 7 headlines and 7 stories.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Yes but who's reading them? Those 7 story's will stay in the speedway circle and people within that circle are only getting pissed off.

When a football club sign a player it gets announced. It's not drip fed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

7 headlines where?? Story has a reach of about 100 people who will even remotely care  

1 hour ago, acef said:

Yes but who's reading them? Those 7 story's will stay in the speedway circle and people within that circle are only getting pissed off.

When a football club sign a player it gets announced. It's not drip fed.

Lynn get lots of space in local papers, both in print and online. 

Speedway is not football and you refer to one player. You can bet deals in football are done now ready for transfer window

I think you have to name the seven riders separately, and they seem to be getting on with it this year after dragging it too long last winter. As has been said with the two local papers and two local radio stations it makes sense to make seven stories out of it rather than one. 

You would imagine the other four will be named over the next couple of weeks so not long to wait. I’ve never understood the clamour to know ASAP anyway, we are four months from the season starting so there is no great rush. 

What would be quite good but probably beyond the current group of promoters is a launch day where everyone names their teams and the media get properly involved, race suits are revealed etc etc. All in one place with as many riders as possible present. Launch the prospect of the new season with a bang. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I think you have to name the seven riders separately, and they seem to be getting on with it this year after dragging it too long last winter. As has been said with the two local papers and two local radio stations it makes sense to make seven stories out of it rather than one. 

You would imagine the other four will be named over the next couple of weeks so not long to wait. I’ve never understood the clamour to know ASAP anyway, we are four months from the season starting so there is no great rush. 

What would be quite good but probably beyond the current group of promoters is a launch day where everyone names their teams and the media get properly involved, race suits are revealed etc etc. All in one place with as many riders as possible present. Launch the prospect of the new season with a bang. 

I don't see the positives at all in naming one at a time.  it is only those who are fully interested will acknowledge the single rider announcements.   Those other people who might have noticed will be put off by the waiting for the whole team ….

The last paragraph though, warrants some thought.    If all promoters were to plan a big Promotion day on the same stage, I'm sure that would create a lot of interest and would possibly  entice TV to come on board..     A Brilliant idea Baggy,  one that could promote the start of the season and the sport to National coverage.       

Surely that would be better than having all this dribs and drabs that does nobody any favours.     Too late this year, but what's stopping the BSPA planning a day next year and everyone work to it...  

• Like 1

KL feature regularly in the free papers distributed across Norfolk, 

even during the off season the drip feeding of riders keeps the team and sponsors in print, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, full-throttle said:

KL feature regularly in the free papers distributed across Norfolk, 

even during the off season the drip feeding of riders keeps the team and sponsors in print, 

You don't have to name a rider to have any news posted.   Years ago we had articles every week in the local rag telling us about all and sundry.   A good PR man will always find news to post  if he was any good.  

6 minutes ago, g13webb said:

You don't have to name a rider to have any news posted.   Years ago we had articles every week in the local rag telling us about all and sundry.   A good PR man will always find news to post  if he was any good.  

You don’t even need a good PR man.

Local papers and their websites are desperate for news every day.

Twice a week the Swindon Advertiser is so desperate it has a top ten “most read” filler of “Swindon’s top cafes/restaurants/bars/music venues/places to get a cup of tea ... as voted for by readers”. They print nonsense for the sake of it.

Quite why Anders Rowe buying six new engines has not made the front page I don’t know. He could have “released” one engine every other day and been the best serial they’ve had for ages.

Just as well Watergate wasn’t in Swindon!  :)

What good is newspaper inches during the winter for Speedway ?

With Kings Lynn announcing the same old same old does it matter if you release them one at a time or the lot in one go. Either way it’s about as exciting as Jeremy Corbyn speech on Brexit.

46 minutes ago, semion said:

What good is newspaper inches during the winter for Speedway ?

With Kings Lynn announcing the same old same old does it matter if you release them one at a time or the lot in one go. Either way it’s about as exciting as Jeremy Corbyn speech on Brexit.

Best for KL to do the lot in one go and get it over with.  :)

Gino Manzarez is the surprise. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Lynn get lots of space in local papers, both in print and online. 

Speedway is not football and you refer to one player. You can bet deals in football are done now ready for transfer window

What space it gets its irrelevant when only the speedway community is reading it. Let's not pretend others are engaging with it outside of speedway, or certainly if they are its hardly having the desired effect.

And I'm repeating myself now, that community are getting a little pissed off about it.

If the team is done, the just announce it. Pretty straightforward stuff.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, acef said:

What space it gets its irrelevant when only the speedway community is reading it. Let's not pretend others are engaging with it outside of speedway, or certainly if they are its hardly having the desired effect.

And I'm repeating myself now, that community are getting a little pissed off about it.

If the team is done, the just announce it. Pretty straightforward stuff.

You have no idea who is reading it. 

You seem to be arguing there is no point in speedway clubs gaining media publicity.

If that's the case, no point in having it on TV either.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

You have no idea who is reading it. 

You seem to be arguing there is no point in speedway clubs gaining media publicity.

If that's the case, no point in having it on TV either.

That's right. I have no idea. I don't need to.

What matters is that clubs trade of the back of that publicity and it clearly isn't happening.

So I'll say it for the 3rd time, the space they are getting is currently irrelevant.

If clubs don't use the publicity correctly then yes, I'm arguing they don't it. 

What's the point?