British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

On 12/9/2019 at 3:45 PM, g13webb said:

If they think this idea creates extra interest they most be  more stupid than I give them credit for.

Enough of these stupid games.   When you have a team to announce,  then  do the honourable thing, until then,  stop taking us for mugs......

Mr Webb I am surprised ( very surpeised ) that you were not already aware of quite how stupid in some ways they are. They ( the people who run KLS ) have attitudes and opinions fixed in concrete and are immovable on all aspects of knowing how "best" to run their business. You must have guessed by now that the cash paid over at the turnstiles is less and less important to the sums involved in running the team. Simply becasue there are less and less paying punters! So there is no need for the promotion to bother with what those mugs do feel about things.

• Like 1

Webbo what do you mean taking you for a mug ?  You turn up every week of your own free will :rofl:

9 hours ago, acef said:

That's not a way I would operate my business, it may be a different argument now but there is a critical flaw. Nobody gives two hoots about speedway.

If I'm advertising my business it's going in an environment where people will increase my cash flow as a consequence.

Really? 

Every time someone sees your name it registers whether or not they are making a buying decision and then when they are buying your name has the advantage of being familiar compared to your competitors.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, semion said:

Richard,  who is the Lynn team sponsor for next season?  Is it Poultec again ?

Weston's Wheels and Deals lost out in the bidding war:)

3 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Weston's Wheels and Deals lost out in the bidding war:)

Weston’s wheeler Dealers PLC failed with their 30 bob and a chicken offer then ?

3 hours ago, semion said:

Weston’s wheeler Dealers PLC failed with their 30 bob and a chicken offer then ?

It was 3 new bikes for every team member, unlimited turkey twizzlers on away trips and free tea all round for riders and management when Stars win away. Thought that would have clinched the deal 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, semion said:

Webbo what do you mean taking you for a mug ?  You turn up every week of your own free will :rofl:

I know, but as time goes by so does my desire to support them every meeting.  You cant imagine how many times I go, then afterwards question my sanity for the going.   You're right,  Mugs  goes along way to describe us.     For years I have lived for the day when we will win that coveted trophy.  Other teams win it for fun yet we do everything possible  to stop it happening.  I still haven't got over the shenanigans pulled  by everyone to stop us back in 2018.   I should have realised then it was never going to happen.

I don't suppose I will go to many meetings next year,   with no chance of finishing in the top 4  I fail to see the point.   Probably If they figure more strongly, then I might be tempted.  :nono:

You mean you will become a fair weather supporter? 

Since I’ve moved further away I attend less and less meetings.  To warrant a 3 hour round trip it has to be very attractive and there are many things that now make me not do the journey.

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

I know, but as time goes by so does my desire to support them every meeting.  You cant imagine how many times I go, then afterwards question my sanity for the going.   You're right,  Mugs  goes along way to describe us.     For years I have lived for the day when we will win that coveted trophy.  Other teams win it for fun yet we do everything possible  to stop it happening.  I still haven't got over the shenanigans pulled  by everyone to stop us back in 2018.   I should have realised then it was never going to happen.

I don't suppose I will go to many meetings next year,   with no chance of finishing in the top 4  I fail to see the point.   Probably If they figure more strongly, then I might be tempted.  :nono:

I don’t go very often nowadays for various reasons, some speedway related and some not so I do get people’s apathy. However could you please explain a couple of things from your post, firstly what shenanigans robbed us in 2018 and why you think we have no chance of finishing in the top four in 2020. Thanks. 

Edited by Bagpuss

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I don’t go very often nowadays for various reasons, some speedway related and some not so I do get people’s apathy. However could you please explain a couple of things from your post, firstly what shenanigans robbed us in 2018 and why you think we have no chance of finishing in the top four in 2020. Thanks. 

Every time I think back to 2018 it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.  When looking back I still cant believe so many things went against the stars in that final.  A day before  we appeared dead certs to fulfil that distant dream. The first problem to arise was that NKI's accident in Poland deeming him unfit to ride.  2nd problem  was the lack of available substitutes who were good enough to cover for our top rider.    Ellis was never good enough.      Next problem was we gave them  4 heats start.     Here we are in, their most important match of the Stars history and we start off riding like  ******.     Eventually we get going pulling back from that dreadful  18 pt. deficit   when the Ref makes the worse decision ever seen in any meeting.   MPT was splattered from the back.  Not only does he blame it on MTP and exclude him when leading the race, but then gives them the chance of another 5-1.    KT , a re-known Pirates supporter, said it was a terribly call.  When our team manager was asked on TV he said  he didn't see the accident, saying some you win and some you lose.   He gave the opinion he wasn't that concerned....      Had that call been made against Poole, no-doubt NM would have gone mad.     Our final  finished at that point.  

Then to cap it all our Team Manager agreed to let Poole break the replacement rules in the replay.  This was an insult to the sport.    A lot of people have to ask themselves could they have done things differently.   We should have won that final with ease.....

As for the second part you asked.   I feel we will go down the same path again this year as last .   Same track,  same riders, same attitude,    its as if they go through the motions.    I wished I felt differently.... 

• Like 1

It wasn’t meant to be in 2018, the injuries completely screwed us over unfortunately, without those we would have won the final by twenty points on aggregate IMO but that’s sport. Even if the referee had done his job correctly we would have been without Palm Toft for the second leg and with two ineffective guests we had no chance. Just one of those things. 

As for 2020 I would be much more positive than that, I don’t agree with some of the choices made so far but we are going to have three good heat leaders and a decent reserve so all is not lost. Apart from Swindon every team has question marks over it and look at where Ipswich finished last year, as well as us in 2018 and Swindon the year before that. Unfancied teams can do well. 

Edited by Bagpuss

46 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Every time I think back to 2018 it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.  When looking back I still cant believe so many things went against the stars in that final.  A day before  we appeared dead certs to fulfil that distant dream. The first problem to arise was that NKI's accident in Poland deeming him unfit to ride.  2nd problem  was the lack of available substitutes who were good enough to cover for our top rider.    Ellis was never good enough.      Next problem was we gave them  4 heats start.     Here we are in, their most important match of the Stars history and we start off riding like  ******.     Eventually we get going pulling back from that dreadful  18 pt. deficit   when the Ref makes the worse decision ever seen in any meeting.   MPT was splattered from the back.  Not only does he blame it on MTP and exclude him when leading the race, but then gives them the chance of another 5-1.    KT , a re-known Pirates supporter, said it was a terribly call.  When our team manager was asked on TV he said  he didn't see the accident, saying some you win and some you lose.   He gave the opinion he wasn't that concerned....      Had that call been made against Poole, no-doubt NM would have gone mad.     Our final  finished at that point.  

Then to cap it all our Team Manager agreed to let Poole break the replacement rules in the replay.  This was an insult to the sport.    A lot of people have to ask themselves could they have done things differently.   We should have won that final with ease.....

As for the second part you asked.   I feel we will go down the same path again this year as last .   Same track,  same riders, same attitude,    its as if they go through the motions.    I wished I felt differently.... 

The Palm Toft was not the only decision the ref got wrong that night at Poole. My memory says Ellis got excluded for tapes. I was front on to that and it wasn't;t Ellis who hit the tapes first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

It wasn’t meant to be in 2018, the injuries completely screwed us over unfortunately, without those we would have won the final by twenty points on aggregate IMO but that’s sport. Even if the referee had done his job correctly we would have been without Palm Toft for the second leg and with two ineffective guests we had no chance. Just one of those things. 

As for 2020 I would be much more positive than that, I don’t agree with some of the choices made so far but we are going to have three good heat leaders and a decent reserve so all is not lost. Apart from Swindon every team has question marks over it and look at where Ipswich finished last year, as well as us in 2018 and Swindon the year before that. Unfancied teams can do well. 

Baggy, it has meant to be for 54 years.     I can accept defeat no problem,   but I like to see passion and attitude.    Sometimes, from numerous riders   there is a lot missing.   When that belief it the team  has gone ,    there's else  little left...

3 hours ago, g13webb said:

Same track,  same riders, same attitude,    its as if they go through the motions.    I wished I felt differently.... 

Me too Mr Webb. It does look and feel as if they do just go throught the motions, endlessly. Simon Lambert for No.8?

6 hours ago, g13webb said:

Same track,  same riders, same attitude,    its as if they go through the motions.    I wished I felt differently.... 

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Me too Mr Webb. It does look and feel as if they do just go throught the motions, endlessly. Simon Lambert for No.8?

So what’s your barometer, 2018 or 2019? Very little difference in personal or I daresay attitude between the two seasons but little things either go your way or don’t and they add up to either a good season or a pretty bad one. 

Impossible to know how this coming season will go until it gets into full swing. I’m sure the experience of 2018 left everybody desperate to go one better, the hunger is there to win it and tat doesn’t happen by going through the motions.