Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I think the last line is key, ONE GP rider who rides over here, and if his family wasn’t based here I suspect he wouldn’t. 

Lambert no longer resides in the UK and as well as his two leagues will be doing GP, SEC and presumably GP qualifying. Riding once a week in Sweden rather than often twice over here plus the extra travelling and less down time must be a big factor in his decision. Loyalty doesn’t really come into it for me, he has to do the best for himself and his career whatever that means. Tai is obviously a role model and mentor for him and his achievements since he cut out UK racing speak for themselves. 

As I said I don’t blame him at all and hopefully he goes from strength to strength and continues to develop into a world class rider. 

No speedway again this year I don't think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pinny said:

You can say what you like , Doyle flat out rides here and always has , before he had a family here. Tai and Lambert now both dont ride here. 

Absolutely, he was a late developer and rode in our second division for a long time before he became world class and it suits him to race here now but for most others it doesn’t any more.

Every rider does what is right for them, this country is pretty much at the bottom of the speedway food chain nowadays due to being so spectacularly mismanaged hence so few top riders appearing here but if it works for Doyle then good luck to him. I’ve never really agreed with the ‘loyalty’ thing though, clubs hire and fire riders as they see fit so it works both ways. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Absolutely, he was a late developer and rode in our second division for a long time before he became world class and it suits him to race here now but for most others it doesn’t any more.

Every rider does what is right for them, this country is pretty much at the bottom of the speedway food chain nowadays due to being so spectacularly mismanaged hence so few top riders appearing here but if it works for Doyle then good luck to him. I’ve never really agreed with the ‘loyalty’ thing though, clubs hire and fire riders as they see fit so it works both ways. 

Have to disagree. Doyle has always doubled up and rode as often as he can. Before settling with a family and after. Its that constant determination that seen him become a world champ. Everybody knows he probably has less skill than most former world champions but he worked his balls off and reaped the rewards. I remember him at Newport, he was only about 50 percent fit during the bulk of his spell there yet tried his nuts off in every race. 
 

Compare his attitude to Lamberts and there is no comparison I am afraid. 
 

The theory that Lambert has it all to prove now and Doyle is proven is also nonsense, it would make sense riding more often at a younger age. 
 

If he wasnt a Lynn rider I am sure attitudes would be a whole lot different off their fans. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pinny said:

Have to disagree. Doyle has always doubled up and rode as often as he can. Before settling with a family and after. Its that constant determination that seen him become a world champ. Everybody knows he probably has less skill than most former world champions but he worked his balls off and reaped the rewards. I remember him at Newport, he was only about 50 percent fit during the bulk of his spell there yet tried his nuts off in every race. 
 

Compare his attitude to Lamberts and there is no comparison I am afraid. 
 

The theory that Lambert has it all to prove now and Doyle is proven is also nonsense, it would make sense riding more often at a younger age. 
 

If he wasnt a Lynn rider I am sure attitudes would be a whole lot different off their fans. 

He has rode a hell of a lot in these last few years with Sweden,Poland,UK,Gp's,U21's,SEC's so he has rode very often at a young age.But explain to me how he can ride that often now with Poland calling the shots and only allowing one other league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pinny said:

Have to disagree. Doyle has always doubled up and rode as often as he can. Before settling with a family and after. Its that constant determination that seen him become a world champ. Everybody knows he probably has less skill than most former world champions but he worked his balls off and reaped the rewards. I remember him at Newport, he was only about 50 percent fit during the bulk of his spell there yet tried his nuts off in every race. 
 

Compare his attitude to Lamberts and there is no comparison I am afraid. 
 

The theory that Lambert has it all to prove now and Doyle is proven is also nonsense, it would make sense riding more often at a younger age. 
 

If he wasnt a Lynn rider I am sure attitudes would be a whole lot different off their fans. 

Like I said, it works for him. Iversen has also ridden in every league and the GP’s before but most other top class riders are happy to just ride a couple of times a week and rest more/travel less. 

I can’t speak for other Lynn supporters but I defended Woffinden when he stopped riding over here, and winning world titles afterwards vindicated that. I’ve never had a problem with any rider quitting the UK, it’s been a steady trickle over the years unfortunately and Lambert is just the latest one. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how little backlash there has been towards Robert on social media especially, I thought most people would hammer him for it but from what I’ve seen it’s been the opposite with most people appreciating his position and decision. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Absolutely, he was a late developer and rode in our second division for a long time before he became world class and it suits him to race here now but for most others it doesn’t any more.

Every rider does what is right for them, this country is pretty much at the bottom of the speedway food chain nowadays due to being so spectacularly mismanaged hence so few top riders appearing here but if it works for Doyle then good luck to him. I’ve never really agreed with the ‘loyalty’ thing though, clubs hire and fire riders as they see fit so it works both ways. 

Spot on..

These lads are 'self employed' whose only 'loyalty' should be to themselves and their families...

If teams wanted 'loyalty' then they would tie them down on exclusive contracts meaning that they only rode for them..

They don't do that, so no one, fans or clubs themselves, can have any cause to complain as to any path each rider takes..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speedway riders as we all know are self employed workers, their loyalty lies with themselves and their families. I do however dissagree with the poles decision to restrict their riders earning potential. If they had their riders in X amount of days per week, training and getting ready for the next meeting included into their contracts, then that's fine, but they don't and as Riders are self employed they should be able to choose other clubs in other leagues if they wanted too.

Having said that I do think we have a chance now to reset our own league/s and hopefully bring back the days of great speedway at our tracks.

   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, hyderd said:

Speedway riders as we all know are self employed workers, their loyalty lies with themselves and their families. I do however dissagree with the poles decision to restrict their riders earning potential. If they had their riders in X amount of days per week, training and getting ready for the next meeting included into their contracts, then that's fine, but they don't and as Riders are self employed they should be able to choose other clubs in other leagues if they wanted too.

Having said that I do think we have a chance now to reset our own league/s and hopefully bring back the days of great speedway at our tracks.

   

I admire your optimism...:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hyderd said:

Speedway riders as we all know are self employed workers, their loyalty lies with themselves and their families. I do however dissagree with the poles decision to restrict their riders earning potential. If they had their riders in X amount of days per week, training and getting ready for the next meeting included into their contracts, then that's fine, but they don't and as Riders are self employed they should be able to choose other clubs in other leagues if they wanted too.

Having said that I do think we have a chance now to reset our own league/s and hopefully bring back the days of great speedway at our tracks.

   

Yes , we do have that opportunity, but I believe for it to stand an chance of succeeding we need to start from square one.  The sport has moved on, becoming too expensive, not only for the riders, but also fans and promoters alike.  We cannot compete with the likes of Poland and Sweden leagues so why try.   Lets re-create the old days, when  2 valve bikes were much cheaper to run, and admission costs were kept to a minimum, riding on nights that appeal to the public.  Once upon a time  speedway always ran on Saturday nights and the place s were packed...   Thus would attract more riders,  and more  fans. giving better atmosphere, more excitement .   At least this way there is an opportunity to re-invent the sport to the modern public rather than wait until us old ones are too old to go anymore....   

Either that or just pack it in now......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, g13webb said:

Yes , we do have that opportunity, but I believe for it to stand an chance of succeeding we need to start from square one.  The sport has moved on, becoming too expensive, not only for the riders, but also fans and promoters alike.  We cannot compete with the likes of Poland and Sweden leagues so why try.   Lets re-create the old days, when  2 valve bikes were much cheaper to run, and admission costs were kept to a minimum, riding on nights that appeal to the public.  Once upon a time  speedway always ran on Saturday nights and the place s were packed...   Thus would attract more riders,  and more  fans. giving better atmosphere, more excitement .   At least this way there is an opportunity to re-invent the sport to the modern public rather than wait until us old ones are too old to go anymore....   

Either that or just pack it in now......

Can't run too many meetings on Saturday nights as there won't be enough guests to go round, (see Workington and Fridays), and we know guests are really important to the success of Speedway in this country..

You would also have to replace all the riders who will be riding in the GP,s the GP challenges, the SON, the SEC, the various Nation's own National Championships who use Satiurdays, and of course Poland the day previous, and the day after....

Unfortunately they are completely hamstrung by someone else's agenda, and there is absolutely nothing else they can do about it, they are simply unavoidable victims of circumstance, who can do nothing more but stick to the same operating model that has been followed for the past couple of decades or so...

Although, radical as it may seem, maybe they could possibly set their own agenda? Maybe they could possibly take control over their own business again? Maybe they could possibly run an entertainment business more often at a time of the week most entertainment businesses get their largest customer numbers?

You know, something like "Here is next seasons fixture list, riding on nights/days each track have decided they can get their largest crowds in, if you want a contract to ride you need to make yourself available to be at each meeting, and we will give you a fortnight to get back to us with that comittment in writing"...

That sort of thing...

Nah, what am I thinking...

That wouldn't work would it?

As you were, same again please, rinse and repeat ad infinitum...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we go back to the days of lower revving engines, maybe even upright engines, 2 or 4 valves I dont mind, but anything but these rocket ships which the top riders can handle but someone at the lower end cant.  for sure I understand all riders probably start out wanting to be world champion one day, but very few get anywhere near world class status. So lets have entertainment relevant to where Britain is at. 

Maybe British speedway would eventually loose any youngster making it up the ladder toward world class ie Lambet and Bewley, but its such a few, Britain will just have to put up with it.  Lower cost racing could attract more into the sport, would incur lower costs overall, leading tolower entry fees,  potentially bigger crowds.  Make it entertaining for families too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Can we go back to the days of lower revving engines, maybe even upright engines, 2 or 4 valves I dont mind, but anything but these rocket ships which the top riders can handle but someone at the lower end cant.  for sure I understand all riders probably start out wanting to be world champion one day, but very few get anywhere near world class status. So lets have entertainment relevant to where Britain is at. 

Maybe British speedway would eventually loose any youngster making it up the ladder toward world class ie Lambet and Bewley, but its such a few, Britain will just have to put up with it.  Lower cost racing could attract more into the sport, would incur lower costs overall, leading tolower entry fees,  potentially bigger crowds.  Make it entertaining for families too.

Eastbourne engaged with families when they had to drop to the National league, and are/were making great strides doing the same in the Championship. If for arguments sake we had the pleasure of seeing the likes of Tom Brennen, Drew Kemp etc for the next few seasons, developing into heat leaders but eventually becoming as good as Bewley and Lambert, if the situation is still the same with Poland, I would still applaud their ambition if leaving British speedway is the only way to go/improve, hoping eventually to see them in the GP's, same applies to Bewley and Lambert as well. There is an argument we're feeding the Polish league with our top riders, but we can't compete at the moment, and only a select few will be good enough to go to the top in Poland, so a high proportion of the young riders we develop will be racing here for years to come.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Can't run too many meetings on Saturday nights as there won't be enough guests to go round, (see Workington and Fridays), and we know guests are really important to the success of Speedway in this country..

You would also have to replace all the riders who will be riding in the GP,s the GP challenges, the SON, the SEC, the various Nation's own National Championships who use Satiurdays, and of course Poland the day previous, and the day after....

Unfortunately they are completely hamstrung by someone else's agenda, and there is absolutely nothing else they can do about it, they are simply unavoidable victims of circumstance, who can do nothing more but stick to the same operating model that has been followed for the past couple of decades or so...

Although, radical as it may seem, maybe they could possibly set their own agenda? Maybe they could possibly take control over their own business again? Maybe they could possibly run an entertainment business more often at a time of the week most entertainment businesses get their largest customer numbers?

You know, something like "Here is next seasons fixture list, riding on nights/days each track have decided they can get their largest crowds in, if you want a contract to ride you need to make yourself available to be at each meeting, and we will give you a fortnight to get back to us with that comittment in writing"...

That sort of thing...

Nah, what am I thinking...

That wouldn't work would it?

As you were, same again please, rinse and repeat ad infinitum...

 

Probably I didn't make it  clear in my original post,  but when I suggested going back to square one , I was thinking along the lines of starting a new form of Speedway, where  we went back to the beginning with cheap 2 valve bikes and lower cost.     I am sure there are far more riders who do not compete on the world stage, who would welcome a cheaper form of racing.   There would be no problem with the major dates you mentioned because the riders who rode on our restricted machinery and rules wouldn't be interested  in those meetings anyway...

We could create our own entity with little or no interference from other countries.      Who know, probably in a few years time some of those top riders might fancy a different experience.  We need to do something quick......  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Spiderman1 said:

Time to ring Jason lads,he’s been made redundant 

Just what I was thinking! With Robert Lambert gone, and a huge pair of boots to fill, who could be better but Jason Doyle now that Swindon have stated they won't be running in 2021? What's even better is he lives on the outskirts of Norwich near the A47, so only 45 minutes from his front door to Saddlebow Road. I would love to see him at Lynn always been one of my favourites for his 100% effort style of riding.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy