British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn Stars 2020

46 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Who's to say young British riders aren't going to be a chance also?

So Bridger has been retired for 4 years and had a few problems in the past(who doesn't) but to class him as a has been is out of order.

Really ? 4 years out of the sport is a massive amount of time he WAS a rider with great talent I’m not doubting that but I stick with what I said to give a team spot to him over a young British rider is absolute madness in my opinion . 
we’ve a massive opportunity to showcase British talent let’s do it and do it now . 

11 minutes ago, Haza said:

Really ? 4 years out of the sport is a massive amount of time he WAS a rider with great talent I’m not doubting that but I stick with what I said to give a team spot to him over a young British rider is absolute madness in my opinion . 
we’ve a massive opportunity to showcase British talent let’s do it and do it now . 

First of all i would suspect he would be replacing a German.Secondly i can see young British talent being given an opportunity this season.You simply cannot accommodate every young British rider though or else you get a league on par with the NL.

I take it if the British youngsters are given their chance then you may make a comeback yourself:t:

44 minutes ago, Haza said:

I would imagine there will be spots for riders like Bridger and youngsters alongside him, if anything this whole situation is going to see riders like Hartel and other modestly talented European riders not riding over here which isn’t a bad thing IMO. I don’t think we should be discouraging or turning away any British riders who are good enough and want to ride in our leagues. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, tellboy said:

First of all i would suspect he would be replacing a German.Secondly i can see young British talent being given an opportunity this season.You simply cannot accommodate every young British rider though or else you get a league on par with the NL.

I take it if the British youngsters are given their chance then you may make a comeback yourself:t:

Can anyone of us say we will be attending meetings at this point in time ? who even knows when the season will start yes they say May but that’s by no means certain- in my case circumstances have changed and I have much more time on my hands so definitely more likely to attend meetings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Haza said:

Can anyone of us say we will be attending meetings at this point in time ? who even knows when the season will start yes they say May but that’s by no means certain- in my case circumstances have changed and I have much more time on my hands so definitely more likely to attend meetings. 

I'm clinging to the hope the vaccine will be well rolled out by then and we can nearly get back to normal by May.Afterall they are giving the vaccine to the speedway fans first,the over 80's now the over 70's soon be the over 60's and that's just about the fan base covered:rolleyes:.

Any old/new fan is good news to have at the speedway,so hope you do make it back:t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

I'm clinging to the hope the vaccine will be well rolled out by then and we can nearly get back to normal by May.Afterall they are giving the vaccine to the speedway fans first,the over 80's now the over 70's soon be the over 60's and that's just about the fan base covered:rolleyes:.

Any old/new fan is good news to have at the speedway,so hope you do make it back:t:

The thing that concerns me about the vaccine as of yet (and fingers crossed this will change ) those who’s already had the vaccine can’t go back to normal life they’ve not even been told you don’t need a face mask  they don’t no yet if those who’s been vaccinated can still pass the virus on - unless that changes it’s not going to get any sports fans back into any stadiums anytime soon sadly . Don’t get me wrong fantastic we’ve a vaccine but so many uncertainties surrounded it yet .

13 minutes ago, Haza said:

The thing that concerns me about the vaccine as of yet (and fingers crossed this will change ) those who’s already had the vaccine can’t go back to normal life they’ve not even been told you don’t need a face mask  they don’t no yet if those who’s been vaccinated can still pass the virus on - unless that changes it’s not going to get any sports fans back into any stadiums anytime soon sadly . Don’t get me wrong fantastic we’ve a vaccine but so many uncertainties surrounded it yet .

Maybe i am being optimistic.I just feel in over 3 months a lot can change for the better.Over half the population should be vaccinated so that should really leave only the fittest.We will be out of Winter by then.Plus the Government will want the people to believe the vaccine has worked so some sort of normality will be resumed.Having said that i just don't believe half of what the Government are saying at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tellboy said:

Spot on. I certainly fall in to one of those categories!

3 minutes ago, Bunce said:

Spot on. I certainly fall in to one of those categories!

You are as young as you feel.So make sure you have a 30,40 year old beside you:o.That is a joke,please nobody take that seriously

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I would imagine there will be spots for riders like Bridger and youngsters alongside him, if anything this whole situation is going to see riders like Hartel and other modestly talented European riders not riding over here which isn’t a bad thing IMO. I don’t think we should be discouraging or turning away any British riders who are good enough and want to ride in our leagues. 

Without going down the 'all our yesterdays' route...

During the 'halcyon days' of the 70's, teams had 'overseas' riders but they weren't generally (as you correctly describe), the 'modestly talented' ones...

They were pretty much the top riders from their own countries, who rode in World Finals, World Pairs, World Team Cups and Test Matches..

The 'elite' of their respective nations..

Many British League Div One team's had overseas "top level" riders amongst their septet but, in the main, most had at least five UK riders too, and that was at a time of around 16 or so teams in the First Division...

Whilst hardly a 'youth policy', if it means meetings take place regularly, and thus stop getting moved around to pander to rider's own agendas all the time, then as many British lads per team will be a positive..

And for the long term good of the sport, the more we give opportunities to the 'modestly talented' UK riders to try and improve, rather than their equally 'modestly talented' overseas counterparts, the better it should turn out to be going forward....

Edited by mikebv

So announced that it's 6 rides to a total of 35.5 plus a British youngster graded at four and below.

Can't see the averages on the BSPA site but would assume Cook, Jorgensen, Riss, Kerr, Proctor and Bridger come to under that.

Edited by Speedball

6 minutes ago, Speedball said:

So announced that it's 6 rides to a total of 35.3 plus a British youngster graded at four and below.

Can't see the averages on the BSPA site but would assume Cook, Jorgensen, Riss, Kerr, Proctor and Bridger come to under that.

30.29 for those 5,may get a reduction on Kerr and Cook.I would have thought Bridger would come in on an average to keep us well under the limit.

Averages are still on the BSPA site just go into the archives:t:

Edited by tellboy
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 8:40 AM, Haza said:

There you go Haza,British talent are going to be given a chance.See you in May:t:.Government guidelines permitting at the time of course;)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tellboy said:

30.29 for those 5,may get a reduction on Kerr and Cook.I would have thought Bridger would come in on an average to keep us well under the limit.

Averages are still on the BSPA site just go into the archives:t:

Cheers Tellboy - I did see those but apparently they aren't the final official greensheet averages so didn't want to use them. They used to have all the greensheets on their site but can't see them now.

Edited by Speedball

Not sure about gradings or however the youngster thing works, but would welcome Anders Rowe in that spot. Was very impressive in the UK v Denmark test match at the end of 2019. Scored 9+3 from 5 rides.