British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

2 hours ago, foamfence said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's even lower than that, mainly to accommodate NDL riders (the NDL will be well down on clubs, if it actually exists).

Thing is I am aware of one team already signed up and if it is not 41 points that's them stuffed before a wheel is turned (or the AGM has even sat to set a build level), unless the -5% rule is extended to all British riders or they apply the 1 rider on an 8 point average per team rule? riders will be thin on the ground IMHO to spread around the teams (fairly) if building to a figure of 40 or above; especially with the increase in the teams that are expected to be in the Premiership; it will be interesting to see what happens but I expect there will be a lot of unhappy Speedway fans post AGM. To give other teams a chance the build level should be less than 38 points however because that was done last year there are some riders on slightly inflated averages, its a difficult call and it will be interesting to see what the BSPA do...

1 minute ago, *JJ said:

What makes you say that? He has been quoted as saying the reverse.

He is a personal friend who I have sponsored for years now and being Totally Honest the name gives the game away; he ain't coming

Regards
THJ

PS. Just about every rider at every club says at the end of the season that they would like to be; or will be; back; if wanted; as it keeps doors and options open for them; however if you don't get how Speedway works now; you never will; so join the club with the rest of us... pull up a chair; sit back and relax and watch the circus unfold from now until Christmas.... its the start of silly season... and all part of the fun... (or not whatever your take is on it)

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

He is a personal friend who I have sponsored for years now and being Totally Honest the name gives the game away; he ain't coming

Regards
THJ

PS. Just about every rider at every club says at the end of the season that they would like to be; or will be; back; if wanted; as it keeps doors and options open for them; however if you don't get how Speedway works now; you never will; so join the club with the rest of us... pull up a chair; sit back and relax and watch the circus unfold from now until Christmas.... its the start of silly season... and all part of the fun... (or not whatever your take is on it)

Well, being Just Ordinary John I wasn't aware of that ... looking forward to the fun and enjoying the usual speculation!

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2019 at 8:03 PM, uk_martin said:

And the latest signing is....

...A new landlord

https://www.arenaracingcompany.co.uk/media-centre/news/greyhounds/arc-acquire-perry-barr-and-belle-vue-greyhound-stadia 

Thank you GRA, it was nice knowing you.

It is NEVER nice being anywhere near the GRA! Trouble is they tend to sell to developers who then knock your stadium down.

10 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

It is NEVER nice being anywhere near the GRA! Trouble is they tend to sell to developers who then knock your stadium down.

Just as well then that Arena leisure are a big Horse racing/Greyhound racing company

• Like 1

Just now, racers and royals said:

Just as well then that Arena leisure are a big Horse racing/Greyhound racing company

I just hope Arena Leisure buy all the GRA's other tracks. Shame they didn't buy Wimbledon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

They  were the last two currently operating.

That makes it Good Riddence A***h**es to the firm that has done more damage to Speedway, Greyhound and Stock Car racing than any other.

• Like 1

The last comment is a tad unfair. The GRA's parent company RCP are property speculators who only purchased them (the GRA) to sell them on. The last GRA track to close was Hall Green in Birmingham, and this was the decision of RCP and much against the wishes of the GRA from the MD downwards. At Perry Barr, the GRA have always been 100% supportive and co-operative towards the Speedway promotion and personally, I hope very much that the new owners will keep the same staff in place. 

The GRA in effect, no longer exist as all six of the stadia they operated at the time they were taken over by RCP, Wimbledon, Oxford, Belle Vue, Perry Barr, Hall Green and Portsmouth, have all been sold off.

9 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

The last comment is a tad unfair. The GRA's parent company RCP are property speculators who only purchased them (the GRA) to sell them on. The last GRA track to close was Hall Green in Birmingham, and this was the decision of RCP and much against the wishes of the GRA from the MD downwards. At Perry Barr, the GRA have always been 100% supportive and co-operative towards the Speedway promotion and personally, I hope very much that the new owners will keep the same staff in place. 

The GRA in effect, no longer exist as all six of the stadia they operated at the time they were taken over by RCP, Wimbledon, Oxford, Belle Vue, Perry Barr, Hall Green and Portsmouth, have all been sold off.

Not sure that i can agree that Clive Feltham was any friend to Speedway at all !!

RCP, GRA, and Galliards have all been in bed together since the takeover by RCP venture capitalists of the GRA, RCP simply assett stripped the portfolio of GRA Tracks by selling them off, Oxford Stadium is still owned by one of those three, and it hasnt been developed simply because i think Oxford city council have rejected plans to develop the Stadium, however i would be amazed if the Stadium wasnt developed in the not to distant future. Clive Feltham as MD of the GRA has to carry the can for whats been carried out on his watch as an example why hasnt Oxford Stadium continued to run Greyhound racing and Speedway ? it simply doesnt hold water with me that its not his decision, as the man at the top the buck stops with him, I tell you this were Perry Barr not owned by the Council it to would have been gone long before now.. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, brianbuck said:

The GRA were formed as a property company but then found that running the dogs and letting first Speedway and then Stock Cars use their stadiums was a profitable idea. As soon as the profits started to fall and the developers made offers the GRA sold out. 

I HATE the firm with a passion. The saddest day was when they got their hands on Wimbledon and at that point I knew what the end result was going to be. The flats are currently going up at Plough Lane and I am now just praying that the Wandle floods and makes them all unsellable.

But there would have come a day when a stadium built in 1929 was no longer fit for purpose so the inevitable was demolition.

New Owners (indirectly) are the infamous Barclay brothers, right wing hoodlums of the worst kind and apparently now selling assets to cover £500m black hole in their various UK businesses according to FT! 

They own Arena Leisure.

4 hours ago, GWC said:

But there would have come a day when a stadium built in 1929 was no longer fit for purpose so the inevitable was demolition.

Wimbledon Stadium was opened on 19 May 1928. The old Silver Stand had a large amount of money spent on it within the last 20 years after it was claimed that the 1947 (I think) built home straight stand was condemned due to asbestos in the roof. It was widely thought that if the money had been spent on repairing the newer stand it would have been better value especially as the new entrance was a long walk from both the road and the car park. The truth is that with management who wanted to keep the stadium it would have survived and would have had dogs, bikes and cars racing. We lost Speedway at Wimbledon due to the stadium management making life as difficult as possible for a promotion who could not cope.