British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

I think James Wright on 4.00 starting at reserve is a gamble worth taking.  Doesn't look as though Danyon Hume will be a 2020 Pirate, they're look for some young Aussies to complete the team.

Just now, Col said:

I think James Wright on 4.00 starting at reserve is a gamble worth taking.  Doesn't look as though Danyon Hume will be a 2020 Pirate, they're look for some young Aussies to complete the team.

Hume wont get a place now, i actually think Ledwith// Wright both on a four are not great value but i like both riders and hope  both of them do well.

7 minutes ago, Col said:

Alfie Bowtell is another rider that 'surprisingly' looks set to miss out ?

I wonder if Jack Parkinson Blackburn and Zach Wajtknecht have given up for good?

Blackburn was a definite international in the making imo.......great potential, just lacked some decent equipment!

16 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Point taken but  he last rode British speedway  in 2015  which is quite a gap why isn't he on a 2.00 average.I am actually a fan of James watched him ride for Buxton, Worky, Belle Vue ,  and the whole of his Swindon spell.and i really hope he does well but it is a big ask for him.As you say Newcastle are well below the limit so it didn't matter but would anybody else of took a chance on a 4.00 average ? I really think the  structure of the averages generally needs looking at for the interest's of every club.

Rob Ledwith has not ridden second tier speedway for a quarter of a century (when there was no third tier I ll add) and is also on a 4.0..... which seems astonishing to me, even more so when he had an assessed 3.5 average in the NL last year.

33 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Alfie Bowtell is another rider that 'surprisingly' looks set to miss out ?

I wonder if Jack Parkinson Blackburn and Zach Wajtknecht have given up for good?

Blackburn was a definite international in the making imo.......great potential, just lacked some decent equipment!

Think Blackburn walked away due to becoming a parent and getting injured again. He is the sort of talent that could jump back on a bike in a year or 2 and pick up his development where he left off.

I was hoping Zach may of been on Kent's team sheet as he has the relationship with Paul Hurry. I believe he has remained active on the grass so another who would instantly do a job at this level should he find the desire to have another go.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

Rob Ledwith has not ridden second tier speedway for a quarter of a century (when there was no third tier I ll add) and is also on a 4.0..... which seems astonishing to me, even more so when he had an assessed 3.5 average in the NL last year.

Totally agree Teaboy i know speedway has always to some exstent been a number's game but Rob's case clearly shows the rules in some cases are not right.Gutted for Hume again he has been unlucky overall plenty of youngsters in the Championship.ie) Kemp, Palin, Lawlor, Thomas, Thompson x2 Rowe, Gilkes, Bailey (ect).

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Totally agree Teaboy i know speedway has always to some exstent been a number's game but Rob's case clearly shows the rules in some cases are not right.Gutted for Hume again he has been unlucky overall plenty of youngsters in the Championship.ie) Kemp, Palin, Lawlor, Thomas, Thompson x2 Rowe, Gilkes, Bailey (ect).

You can add Leon Flint to that list :t: shame as Henry Atkins looks set to miss out too?

14 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

You can add Leon Flint to that list :t: shame as Henry Atkins looks set to miss out too?

Yes young Flint/ Bickley forgot those two,  with the reserves in place as they are it will be very interesting to see who goes at number six.Does the rule state it has to be the senior reserve at number six ? for these youngsters being at number seven that has to be an advantage.

16 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes young Flint/ Bickley forgot those two,  with the reserves in place as they are it will be very interesting to see who goes at number six.Does the rule state it has to be the senior reserve at number six ? for these youngsters being at number seven that has to be an advantage.

I think the problem we have with reserves trying to progress, is that you can get away with just one strong reserve if the manager is tactically astute?

The stronger reserve can/will replace the weaker one in 2 of their heats and then the weaker reserve will sometimes get thrown in to a tougher race, whereby he'll replace an average second string rider , or someone who's having an off night?

I think it's a tactic that a lot of managers come in for criticism for not using the right reserve at the right time? (i'm certainly guilty of 'gobbing' off when i think that the manager has made an error?) sometimes I get it right and sometimes not !? :D

7 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I think the problem we have with reserves trying to progress, is that you can get away with just one strong reserve if the manager is tactically astute?

The stronger reserve can/will replace the weaker one in 2 of their heats and then the weaker reserve will sometimes get thrown in to a tougher race, whereby he'll replace an average second string rider , or someone who's having an off night?

I think it's a tactic that a lot of managers come in for criticism for not using the right reserve at the right time? (i'm certainly guilty of 'gobbing' off when i think that the manager has made an error?) sometimes I get it right and sometimes not !? :D

It is so hard, as a club you want young riders some who might be longterm  asset's to progress but you have to think of the now as well.At Swindon we have young Anders i am really keeping my fingers crossed that he can be on the pace but i know Ellis Perks will more and likely swap races at times.A real dilemma and that is the brutality of sport i suppose.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

It is so hard, as a club you want young riders some who might be longterm  asset's to progress but you have to think of the now as well.At Swindon we have young Anders i am really keeping my fingers crossed that he can be on the pace but i know Ellis Perks will more and likely swap races at times.A real dilemma and that is the brutality of sport i suppose.

I guess that they (the young uns) can still learn a lot by just being in the team.....set-ups.....track technique's etc.....:t:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

2) i think a 4.00 ave is very generous and see no reason for it to be any lower!

Are we talking about the former Premier League Riders Champion, James Wright?

Last time I can recall a rider coming in out of the cold after a long lay off like this was Andrew Silver at Rye House in 2009. If I recall, he ended up with an average well above 4.00 and he wasn't half the rider that James Wright was.

If "Rizzla" Wright has been allocated a 4.00 average then that's a bargain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Last time I can recall a rider coming in out of the cold after a long lay off like this was Andrew Silver at Rye House in 2009. If I recall, he ended up with an average well above 4.00 and he wasn't half the rider that James Wright was.

Beg to differ regarding your comparison of Silver and Wright.:blink:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

You are joking ? as much as i like James Wright and have always followed his career have a look at what Andrew Silver achieved in his.speedway career.

• Like 1