British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

When I looked at the riders I could potentially be announcing on parade this season THJ was easily in the top 5 that excited me. Big blow for Brummies fans and management and indeed the wider speedway family imo.

I’m with Steve brum on this one, I was once a fan of Jonasson but he’s taken the piss one too many times now. 

Farce of a scenario and an awful replacement. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, HGould said:

Lets get behind the lad, it is still a very solid 1-7.

I totally disagree. Without the THJ potential X factor, Brummies now look the weakest team.in.the league except for possibly Newcastle.

Two heat leaders in CH & JG who often miss the gate. Probably the weakest third heat leader in the league. AM & JS are returning from injury

• Like 1

I think VG will be similar to Paco? he'll be ok at home once he gets dialled in......however, I can't see many points being picked up away from home ?

I thought there'd be better options out there ? Obviously not!

Morris has been around long enough and he was bang on the money just before his injury, so I'd expect him to make a claim for the 3rd heat leader position?

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

I’m with Steve brum on this one, I was once a fan of Jonasson but he’s taken the piss one too many times now. 

Farce of a scenario and an awful replacement. 

It's not Jonasson's fault?

But I agree, farce/awful replacement!!

11 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

It's not Jonasson's fault?

But I agree, farce/awful replacement!!

So who from a very small available list would you have signed???

21 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I saw him ride for King's Lynn at Swindon a few years ago way overweight and he was woeful.Even  at Champs level for me never good anough now to be a reliable third heat leader.

I remember that meeting, 2017, think it was on telly, and pretty sure he won a race. Apart from one meeting when he scored paid 14 he seemed ill prepared during that spell with Lynn. 

Listen, nobody expected him to be a world beater but having signed a while ago and starting the season with everyone else I think he would have been a solid middle order man and certainly better than Grauber. 

1 hour ago, HGould said:

With Jonasson's average removed from the original septet there is 7.64 available for team building, where is the sense in signing a rider a rider on 5.38.

Ludvig Lindgren, Victor Palovaara & Dimitri Berge are three riders who do not have a Championship ride and all averaged more than Grobauer in recent years.  I know signing a Dane is not ideal due to race night but there are a host of Danish riders who also fit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HGould said:

I havent seen the list of availabilities so I can't answer that question ?

I have a feeling that Thomsen might have been a better signing if he could continue the way he finished last season......he certainly wouldnt be any worse!?

39 minutes ago, Col said:

With Jonasson's average removed from the original septet there is 7.64 available for team building, where is the sense in signing a rider a rider on 5.38.

Ludvig Lindgren, Victor Palovaara & Dimitri Berge are three riders who do not have a Championship ride and all averaged more than Grobauer in recent years.  I know signing a Dane is not ideal due to race night but there are a host of Danish riders who also fit.

Berge would have been great!

There seems to be a huge assumption being made that every rider not currently signed up to a British team actually wants to ride in this country. Consider the possibility that they don't. They certainly don't owe us their presence.

And if as an EU national, you are not currently living and working in the EU, what are the hoops that Brexit requires them to jump through to get a job here now? Another factor that makes the UK less than an attractive, possibly.

One day when SCB  / BSPA get their heads out of the sand and see what's going on in the real world, we'll probably have so much coronavirus related disruption to the league, over and above that which the weather creates, that getting a full league programme completed this year will be such a tall order that the inevitable messing around to a riders timetable might make a forward thinking foreign based rider simply decide that it's all not worth the hassle.

53 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

There seems to be a huge assumption being made that every rider not currently signed up to a British team actually wants to ride in this country. Consider the possibility that they don't. They certainly don't owe us their presence.

And if as an EU national, you are not currently living and working in the EU, what are the hoops that Brexit requires them to jump through to get a job here now? Another factor that makes the UK less than an attractive, possibly.

One day when SCB  / BSPA get their heads out of the sand and see what's going on in the real world, we'll probably have so much coronavirus related disruption to the league, over and above that which the weather creates, that getting a full league programme completed this year will be such a tall order that the inevitable messing around to a riders timetable might make a forward thinking foreign based rider simply decide that it's all not worth the hassle.

In fairness to the BSPA (and all other governing bodies of sports & non-sports) we are now in unchartered territory, it's unlikely (certainly in speedway, but in many other areas too) that any dedicated contingency planning exist for the potential disruption which now seems inevitable. Bodies / management teams / riders / supporters are all now pawns in something much, much bigger than 'merely' getting on with normal life as we know it. Personally, I can't see how British speedway can survive (and thrive) as out of step with all available guidance and decisions now being published by the hour. Speedway cannot avoid being impacted. 

4 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Nobody is saying they do, but it doesn'tseem likely riders would turn down employment if it doesn't affect their current working schedule.

11 hours ago, Col said:

Berge is another one who just takes the P*ss out of GB speedway.

• Like 2