Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

Will the Brummies be able to use r/r.... (Robbery / Replacement) ??? :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 4/22/2020 at 8:50 PM, waiheke1 said:

Discussed on another thread. Drugs offences yes. I don't believe so for riders convicted of other crimes. (Not sure if the riders convicted of causing death by dangerous driving returned to the sport)

James Purchase returned to briefly ride for Cradley.. https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/speedway-ace-jailed-for-death-crash-1-84164

3 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Is this going to be Garrity's first offence? In which case would it surprise anyone if he got a non-custodial sentence, or a suspended sentence at worst? Then what?

He'll be free to walk the streets again. Trendy Lefties will be preaching "rehabilitation", some will even preach "compassion" and "forgiveness". 

As it stands, he's not suspended from the team, and if speedway started again, so would he. And here's a forecast....just like Erik Cantona was forgiven for his crime, Garrity will be given a second chance, will rack up the points and be forgiven by the fans too.  Just a guess like...

I would imagine that garrity won't even have bought his license to ride if he's had to rob at knifepoint so therefore shouldn't even be considered for 1 if & when he applies for 1..

Just now, pienpeesman said:

I would imagine that garrity won't even have bought his license to ride if he's had to rob at knifepoint so therefore shouldn't even be considered for 1 if & when he applies for 1..

Also the bspa should never even grant him 1 ever again

23 minutes ago, pienpeesman said:

Racing Licences are issued by the SCB, not the BSPA

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

tut tut Neil, & keep up. It is the BSPL now .............British Speedway Promoters Ltd. :t:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

7 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

6 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

tut tut Neil, & keep up. It is the BSPL now .............British Speedway Promoters Ltd. :t:

Indeed, although the SGB website still refers to ‘BSPA Contacts’!

Edited by NeilWatson
Correct SGP to read SGB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Ok but does it matter who there issued by !! At the end of the day he shouldn't be granted 1 again

8 hours ago, Lefty said:

Will the Brummies be able to use r/r.... (Robbery / Replacement) ??? :rolleyes:

Post of the day winner.:D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

Indeed, although the SGP website still refers to ‘BSPA Contacts’!

Even part of the SpeedwayGB website does too! D’oh!

Irrespective of who issues the licenses, firstly we need to wait and see whether Garrity does porridge or not.

If he doesn't get sent down and is free to walk the streets, then for his episode of thievery, should he be treated any differently to Darcy Ward, who, as some may remember, was convicted of stealing a motorcycle, riding like a lunatic, evading arrest and riding without insurance?  Remember that one? The offences that Neil Middleditch defended as being "what all young people do" (or words to that effect)  

Whatever the licensing authority calls itself this week or next week, they have set a precedent, so don't be surprised with whatever they decide to do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Even part of the SpeedwayGB website does too! D’oh!

It does, I meant to say SGB rather than SGP - original post edited.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 9:21 AM, Richard Weston said:

From a practical point of view, I agree, but I would still have done it as a point of principle.

The other issue is that the court date in May will not necessarily be the trial/hearing. It maybe but it could well be put off until later in the year.

I’d imagine IF the season was running the press release may have been different. However I still think it would include the line ‘we will not be making any further comment’. 

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Irrespective of who issues the licenses, firstly we need to wait and see whether Garrity does porridge or not.

If he doesn't get sent down and is free to walk the streets, then for his episode of thievery, should he be treated any differently to Darcy Ward, who, as some may remember, was convicted of stealing a motorcycle, riding like a lunatic, evading arrest and riding without insurance?  Remember that one? The offences that Neil Middleditch defended as being "what all young people do" (or words to that effect)  

Whatever the licensing authority calls itself this week or next week, they have set a precedent, so don't be surprised with whatever they decide to do.

Some people quickly forget when something like this happens. Ward abused chance after chance and must rank as one of the worst regular offenders but some people forgave or forgot because of how good he naturally was on a bike.

Garrity should be treated no different as it was no worse than Ward’s involvements back then. 

No doubt the moral police will continue to attack Garrity and defend Ward in equal measures because time elapsed. 

Just to be clear I am in no way defending the behaviour of any one of the individuals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Ward didn't steal the motorcycle. His conviction was for driving/riding under the influence, evading police and having the incorrect license. This was an offence punishable only by a fine.

If Garrity is found not guilty, then i would agree he cannot be punished by speedway authorities, in the same way Darcy was not for the offences he was found not guilty of.

If Garrity is found guilty, i would imagine there is no way he avoids jail time. On release however, i would assume he is free to continue his profession in the same way anyone else released from prison is. Though i would be very unhsppy to see him signed by my club.

• Like 3