British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

14 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Also....speak to the fickle so called fans that say they're never going again unless Shanes/Morris/Paco are sacked ??? ;)

Because they aren’t good enough.. you need to look at teams like Poole, Glasgow, Edinburgh with teams who aren’t cheap and are in the top 6.  We are a team who’s cheap and will always fight for the bottom 5 places..

If we had a team who isn’t cheap and is performing week in week out then people will turn up   

20 minutes ago, Brummies23 said:

If we had a team who isn’t cheap and is performing week in week out then people will turn up   

It's not always the answer, can't remember the guys name, co-promoter of Cradley and co-promoter at Swindon with Terry Russell a few years back, owns a transport company, ask him when he tried for a season and took the lease from Mole. He really had his fingers burnt. 

I know Mcloughlin tried lots of methods and I think even he struggled to get bums on seats, he did though get sponsorship.

Perhaps Birmingham like speedway in general is now finding its level after year on year of watering down of the product and the die hards heading to the great speedway stadium in the sky. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Brummies23 said:

Because they aren’t good enough.. you need to look at teams like Poole, Glasgow, Edinburgh with teams who aren’t cheap and are in the top 6.  We are a team who’s cheap and will always fight for the bottom 5 places..

Whilst thats just false economy and won't solve the problem (paying riders more will mean even more supporters needed and its unlikely to magic them out of thin air). Birmingham have their limited crowd base and the chance of attracting a few new fans/neutrals/away fans so spending big on riders will only close the club quicker and produce even more gate and go racing (it will just be the home side doing it more often). 

Brum do have a chance though to build a team that engages with fans and provides on track entertainment. The likes of Harris, Shanes, Morris and Thomas are all racers who can pass but the track isn't there to provide the opportunities. Create an outside line that works, leave the inside line slick so there are racing alternatives. Speedway is a basic product and people will still pay good money to watch lunatics like Bomber and Shanes ride the boards.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Brummies23 said:

That's how much you know the team is not cheap as you say. The team without injuries could be in the play off's , but being honest do not really think they will see the season out. Hope I'm wrong. 

The rent will be the absolute  killer at birmingham.

Remember the masons went there coz nobody nearer fancied a pop at it, god knows how much theyve slung at it .

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Brummies23 said:

Apart from Scunthorpe at home, the meetings have all been close affairs with most going down to the last few heats so the riders have been performing quite well in my opinion. 

The promotion have always promised a team of entertainment and racers and they all are. Whether we are a 'cheap' team I wouldn't know and as riders earnings are between them and the owners, I'm not sure how you would know either.... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

The rent will be the absolute  killer at birmingham.

Remember the masons went there coz nobody nearer fancied a pop at it, god knows how much theyve slung at it .

Sky high rents do always amaze me. I guess the landlords know they have clubs over a barrel and charge what they like? There must be level of sense applied though as if Brum close and no Speedway runs thats a fair amount of income lost per month to the greyhound folks.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst thats just false economy and won't solve the problem (paying riders more will mean even more supporters needed and its unlikely to magic them out of thin air). Birmingham have their limited crowd base and the chance of attracting a few new fans/neutrals/away fans so spending big on riders will only close the club quicker and produce even more gate and go racing (it will just be the home side doing it more often). 

Brum do have a chance though to build a team that engages with fans and provides on track entertainment. The likes of Harris, Shanes, Morris and Thomas are all racers who can pass but the track isn't there to provide the opportunities. Create an outside line that works, leave the inside line slick so there are racing alternatives. Speedway is a basic product and people will still pay good money to watch lunatics like Bomber and Shanes ride the boards.

Agree with this Sings, tho there is an outside line there that was used to good effect by all the riders in the victory over Redcar. 

I think all clubs would love more fans through the gates but I don't know how we do that. Speedway seems to do well with the social media side nowadays but that's not bringing people in either. I'd love to have an answer for the sake of the sport 

Just popped onto the forum today to see how the news has been received. Such sad news after all our memories with Birmingham. I think I’ve only been the once since we finished on the presentation team but we’d intended to come this summer as soon as COVID allowed. 

I can’t make next Wednesday as we’re away in Scotland but if it’s rained off or if there are further meetings we’ll be down for the next one for sure. Hope all our old friends there are keeping well, so many local tracks to us have already closed like Stoke, Buxton and Coventry so to lose Birmingham would be tragic.

I’ve genuinely never enjoyed doing the centre green presenting anywhere else as much as I did at Birmingham and that was all down to the fans and the response and buzz on the terraces.

Fingers crossed for better news soon and if next weeks off or there are further meetings I’ll see you very soon.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Brummies23 said:

I disagree.....Shanes/Morris/Paco are certainly good enough !

Even if we had a team that won home and away every week, it wouldn't bring the fans back!

It not about a successful team....???

How many times have we won the top flight division over the last 50 years???

It's all about the product and value for money....

Speedway as a sport is farcical with all the guest riders and poxy rules....also the modern engine has ruined things....its made surfaces harder to prepare....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

‘Not sure promoting would make any difference’ ???????? Promoting makes all the difference 

Difficult to flog a dead horse.....speedway doesn't cut it anymore in a City like Birmingham.... Football and Cricket dominate....and it's too expensive for most people to follow all '3' sports.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

That's how much you know the team is not cheap as you say. The team without injuries could be in the play off's , but being honest do not really think they will see the season out. Hope I'm wrong. 

Cause it’s cheap. No one else wanted these riders and if the management had the money then we would of signed better riders and a better team 

7 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Speedway as a sport is farcical with all the guest riders and poxy rules....also the modern engine has ruined things....its made surfaces harder to prepare....

one of the big problems with the sport is the tail wagging the dog.....tracks should be prepared to best suit the racing. Its down to the riders to use the best engine/setup for the surface. If its deep and grippy there should be short shrift for the complaints of those using super short stroke engines. Keep the prep consistent and let the riders work it out.

2 minutes ago, Brummies23 said:

Cause it’s cheap. No one else wanted these riders and if the management had the money then we would of signed better riders and a better team 

Yeah Riss and Bomber are cheap pull the other one. Bomber ain't been cheap for donkeys years despite turning in donkey performances. It might not be the most expensive side built but its far from the cheapest either. Mis-spent possibly but the money is still going out. Its also worth considering that publicly acknowledging its not the most financially stable club makes it harder to sign riders at the start of a year and bigger demands from those that do.

With Paul hurry leaving, Tom bacon left ages ago and Kent still waiting on their big signing Probz be full of guess for Kent next week if the weather holds up. Like to see drew kemp and one of the Thompson twins.

The away meeting against Leicester is the one I’m looking forward to so that better be on 

17 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I disagree.....Shanes/Morris/Paco are certainly good enough !

Even if we had a team that won home and away every week, it wouldn't bring the fans back!

It not about a successful team....???

How many times have we won the top flight division over the last 50 years???

It's all about the product and value for money....

That is a more realistic assessment of the situation at Birmingham and in the sport in general.

Edited by Fromafar