British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

9 minutes ago, Brummies23 said:

Cause it’s cheap. No one else wanted these riders and if the management had the money then we would of signed better riders and a better team 

Get your wallet out then and cough up if you really think that is the answer, become that investor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For what it's worth I'm not that impressed with the outside viewing at PB. I like being on the home or back straight just in front of the start gate. Where else in speedway do the stadium put a huge steel bus type shelter to block peoples view of the start gate? Birmingham have. It's basically set up for dogs where banking and the view isn't as important, so unless you want a decent view you have to go indoors and upstairs, which loses it for me. 

Edited by Deano
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Brummies23 said:

Cause it’s cheap. No one else wanted these riders and if the management had the money then we would of signed better riders and a better team 

I've read some bo##ox on this forum....I've no doubt contributed to some as well....but to say that nobody wanted to sign Harris/Riss/Shanes/Morris/Thomas... is pi##in ludicrous ! 

All 5 riders will be snapped up if we drop out the League.....I even think that Redcar would take a punt on Paco!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Deano said:

For what it's worth I'm not that impressed with the outside viewing at PB. I like being on the home or back straight just in front of the start gate. Where else in speedway do the stadium put a huge steel bus type shelter to block peoples view of the start gate? Birmingham have. It's basically set up for dogs where banking and the view isn't as important, so unless you want a decent view you have to go indoors and upstairs, which loses it for me. 

Spot on! My dad always said that when he was alive.... the viewing at PB (through no fault of the promoters/manager) is dire!

Would  rather have Shane's than Castagna.

2 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I've read some bo##ox on this forum....I've no doubt contributed to some as well....but to say that nobody wanted to sign Harris/Riss/Shanes/Morris/Thomas... is pi##in ludicrous ! 

All 5 riders will be snapped up if we drop out the League.....I even think that Redcar would take a punt on Paco!

Rather have Shane's.

I dont think its a team issue, bomber wont be cheap , life is habitual, folk have had 18 months out of the habit, brum is a big area and maybe folks have found summit else to do.

Other clubs in slightly remoter locations may find it easier to get older fans ban as there might not be much else to do

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

I disagree.....Shanes/Morris/Paco are certainly good enough !

Even if we had a team that won home and away every week, it wouldn't bring the fans back!

It not about a successful team....???

How many times have we won the top flight division over the last 50 years???

It's all about the product and value for money....

Speedway as a sport is farcical with all the guest riders and poxy rules....also the modern engine has ruined things....its made surfaces harder to prepare....

Totally right it helps to have a winning team of course,  but my take is the number one priority is for the fans to have a great night out and to be entertained.Birmingham being a massive catchment area with many more things to do , maybe some people may not  have missed speedway as much as they thought they would.I am in that category with no speedway at Swindon it was my life for years but the real truth is i haven’t missed it as much as i thought i would.I still love the sport and when it is good it is good but generally speaking is it value for money ? it is not a cheap night out now for a family.I will take in a few meeting at Poole this year and maybe Plymouth but if Swindon does not return ( very unlikely) i cannot see myself being a week in week out supporter again.Fingers crossed for the Brummies great supporters great club just hope they can survive this crisis.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deano said:

It's not always the answer, can't remember the guys name, co-promoter of Cradley and co-promoter at Swindon with Terry Russell a few years back, owns a transport company, ask him when he tried for a season and took the lease from Mole. He really had his fingers burnt. 

I know Mcloughlin tried lots of methods and I think even he struggled to get bums on seats, he did though get sponsorship.

Perhaps Birmingham like speedway in general is now finding its level after year on year of watering down of the product and the die hards heading to the great speedway stadium in the sky. 

Let's be brutally honest.. 

These clubs are only in existence to provide riders with rides...

Meaning they ride for all and sundry on as many nights as they can...

Bottom line is it doesn't really matter who wins any UK meeting, meaning it also doesnt really matter who wins any UK league..

Therefore expecting people to "buy in to it", and take it seriously as a team sport is a huge ask I would say, and you cannot envy any promoters trying to go out and "sell it"...

As tracks close it will find its natural level and those that can still generate a "decent crowd" will prosper (as much as you can in UK speedway), and those that can't will go by the wayside..

Having been to Brum a couple of times it must be a difficult place to try and sell Speedway. At 50 something I always felt "very young" when surrounded by a large amount of Brum fans ;), and city centre tracks within large conurbations, eg Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, all seem to attract very, very few of the millions who live virtually on their doorstep..

And teenage kids simply wont be seen anywhere where their father attends (and in many cases their grandad)..:D

You can only flog a dead horse so many times until you realise that to keep throwing money at something, that has a tiny chance of gaining any return, is completely futile..

I do admire promoters who are willing to put their own money into the sport, but also am then equally as amazed that they then allow themselves to run it the way they do...

Speedway's very own version of Hari Kari...:D

(And that isnt a 4 point Japanese international that could be worth a punt)..:D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sad to hear of any club in difficulties, but running speedway and attracting crowds in city centres is a challenge. Not sure Birmingham has ever attracted decent crowds in the modern era. Surprising really as Cradley, Wolves and formerly Coventry all run successfully.

First meeting of the season set the tone , with an un prepared track, punters kept waiting for hours ……

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Let's be brutally honest.. 

These clubs are only in existence to provide riders with rides...

Meaning they ride for all and sundry on as many nights as they can...

Bottom line is it doesn't really matter who wins any UK meeting, meaning it also doesnt really matter who wins any UK league..

Therefore expecting people to "buy in to it", and take it seriously as a team sport is a huge ask I would say, and you cannot envy any promoters trying to go out and "sell it"...

As tracks close it will find its natural level and those that can still generate a "decent crowd" will prosper (as much as you can in UK speedway), and those that can't will go by the wayside..

Having been to Brum a couple of times it must be a difficult place to try and sell Speedway. At 50 something I always felt "very young" when surrounded by a large amount of Brum fans ;), and city centre tracks within large conurbations, eg Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, all seem to attract very, very few of the millions who live virtually on their doorstep..

And teenage kids simply wont be seen anywhere where their father attends (and in many cases their grandad)..:D

You can only flog a dead horse so many times until you realise that to keep throwing money at something, that has a tiny chance of gaining any return, is completely futile..

I do admire promoters who are willing to put their own money into the sport, but also am then equally as amazed that they then allow themselves to run it the way they do...

Speedway's very own version of Hari Kari...:D

(And that isnt a 4 point Japanese international that could be worth a punt)..:D

Mike some great points there myself personally  i am sick to death of the sport’s pathetic rules nothing ever changes.The Championship as a product looks  half decent but the Premiership  well i have no interest in whatsoever to be frank  it is poor value it is a league in name only.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 4

first things first - get the costs under control. ANY business will fail unless they do this. If the crowds are 5/600 that's what you have to budget for. Easy to say I know but vital

3 minutes ago, ch958 said:

first things first - get the costs under control. ANY business will fail unless they do this. If the crowds are 5/600 that's what you have to budget for. Easy to say I know but vital

Think some Clubs need to drop to NDL and budget to their crowd level.They might even be able to reduce admission costs and maybe attract more fans.

• Like 2

So does the statement mean there must be a good attendance next week and we carry on till the end of the season, or does it mean the 1st bad attendance during the season and we finished 

9 minutes ago, Argos said:

So does the statement mean there must be a good attendance next week and we carry on till the end of the season, or does it mean the 1st bad attendance during the season and we finished 

Same problem season after season Clubs paying out more money in wages than income coming in.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Argos said:

It does feel that way.....considering that we've already had to take a 'temporary' break.....?

That temporary break could be a 'shoot ourselves in the foot' moment? It makes me wonder how many 50/50 fans have not bothered coming back?