British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

19 hours ago, heathen52 said:

That was my first thought 6 man Teams, you can also add Rory Schlein to the retirees. I dont see how the Sport can afford International stars, and it wouldnt necesarily improve the racing it would just mean the second reserves would have less chance of winning. First of all we need to get the product right over here with the riders that we have, to begin with get rid of doubling up/down which one League would see the back of.

I agree entirely with you....I also think that if we want/expect our 'younger' riders to improve, then we need to have a certain standard requirement of racing surface?

A lot of the tracks in this country are p#ss poor ( B'ham....Poole....Leicester....to name but a few........)

The majority of supporters would like to see the Premiership expanded to 8 or 10 teams, but if this does happen, there would have to be a pretty drastic reduction of operating costs (or a big increase in admission prices - which nobody wants!) and there would also have to be a dramatic reduction in team strengths in order to make the new entrants competitive. People always jib at any suggestion of weakening teams,  or "watering down" as it is usually described, but in reality, there isn't an alternative - we have to accept that team strengths can only be levelled downwards - not upwards!

As far as doubling-up is concerned, it is my firm opinion that allowing this to happen in the first place, has been the damaging decision that the BSPA has ever made, and we are left in the situation of now finding it totally impossible to get rid of this, or even restrict it. The riders now consider themselves to have a God-given right to belong to more than one team, and any attempt to do away with doubling-up will be savagely opposed. I detest the rule myself, but I just don't see any way of getting shut of it.

Edited by brianbuck
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

The majority of supporters would like to see the Premiership expanded to 8 or 10 teams, but if this does happen, there would have to be a pretty drastic reduction of operating costs (or a big increase in admission prices - which nobody wants!) and there would also have to be a dramatic reduction in team strengths in order to make the new entrants competitive. People always jib at any suggestion of weakening teams,  or "watering down" as it is usually described, but in reality, there isn't an alternative - we have to accept that team strengths can only be levelled downwards - not upwards!

As far as doubling-up is concerned, it is my firm opinion that allowing this to happen in the first place, has been the damaging decision that the BSPA has ever made, and we are left in the situation of now finding it totally impossible to get rid of this, or even restrict it. The riders now consider themselves to have a God-given right to belong to more than one team, and any attempt to do away with doubling-up will be savagely opposed. I detest the rule myself, but I just don't see any way of getting shut of it.

That’s it in a nutshell.

It's an excellent post. I'm not sure the riders think it's a God-given right to be in 2 teams tho, more of a necessity to make it worthwhile nowadays. That said, I think wages are probably the easiest way to cut back on costs. 

On 10/13/2021 at 8:15 AM, GiveusaB said:

I agree entirely with you....I also think that if we want/expect our 'younger' riders to improve, then we need to have a certain standard requirement of racing surface?

A lot of the tracks in this country are p#ss poor ( B'ham....Poole....Leicester....to name but a few........)

Not much wrong with Poole's track compared to others - now it has been sorted!!

Now Chris Harris as signed for berwick for next season,  what does that mean for Birmingham? Just asking the question. 

1 minute ago, Trackerman48 said:

Now Chris Harris as signed for berwick for next season,  what does that mean for Birmingham? Just asking the question. 

The End

Just now, Brummies_Ste said:

The End

Do you honestly believe that? Thought that there was something happening with a take over?

3 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Absolutely nothing.

Riders move clubs annually .

On 10/22/2021 at 12:43 PM, Petecc said:

That will have lowered the wage bill ?

Possibly, depends who the replacement is, because if the Brummies do run, they'll need a replacement, Danny King or Adam Ellis ideally. Can't imagine either are much cheaper wages wise than Harris (if at all).  Don't know if Brummies were footing the bill for Riss & Grobauer travel or if both were based in the UK... but if the Brummies were shelling out for that, it would be the ideal start to lowering costs with UK only based riders.

5 hours ago, Col said:

Possibly, depends who the replacement is, because if the Brummies do run, they'll need a replacement, Danny King or Adam Ellis ideally. Can't imagine either are much cheaper wages wise than Harris (if at all).  Don't know if Brummies were footing the bill for Riss & Grobauer travel or if both were based in the UK... but if the Brummies were shelling out for that, it would be the ideal start to lowering costs with UK only based riders.

100% sure it will not be Danny King. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 11:09 AM, Col said:

Grobauer's travel costs wouldnt add up to much, he was hardly ever there.....

Edited by crescent girl
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1