Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

49 minutes ago, HGould said:

Still hopeful that Laurence can pull something off. 

There are going to be plenty of riders looking for a ride if Kent  close too. 

Young Gilkes and Starke live in Midlands. 

Don't Kent and Brum have the same landlord?

• Like 1

Arena Racing Company own tracks below..

In May 2017 ARC acquired both Sunderland Greyhound Stadium and Newcastle Greyhound Stadium from William Hill [8] followed by the lease purchases of Belle Vue Stadium and Perry Barr Stadium in October 2019 from GRA Acquisition.[9][10][11][12] In 2020 Arc bought Nottingham Greyhound Stadium from Nottingham Greyhound Stadium Ltd.[3]

25 minutes ago, Bluenose said:

Arena Racing Company own tracks below..

In May 2017 ARC acquired both Sunderland Greyhound Stadium and Newcastle Greyhound Stadium from William Hill [8] followed by the lease purchases of Belle Vue Stadium and Perry Barr Stadium in October 2019 from GRA Acquisition.[9][10][11][12] In 2020 Arc bought Nottingham Greyhound Stadium from Nottingham Greyhound Stadium Ltd.[3]

They acquired Central Park earlier this year 

https://www.centralparkstadium.co.uk/news-and-offers/arc-agrees-to-acquire-cearnsport-ltd

On 10/29/2021 at 3:39 PM, The Dog said:

Told me exactly the same. He's proven to be a very good rider and a smashing person but last year never really worked for him. Shame because he's a lot better than we saw and he was as frustrated as anyone. 

Well if that is the case then I would owe Erik an apology and I duly oblige.

7 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Well if that is the case then I would owe Erik an apology and I duly oblige.

It's a shame you couldn't talk to Erik and ask you would have found what a nice guy he his. And he would have been honest and with all the troubles he as had in his private life to maybe some days it got to him?

On 10/30/2021 at 11:08 PM, Lefty said:

Local press is covering Brum Councils' closure of the 'Wheels' facility for redevelopment. Another part of speedway track history like Hall Green, 'one stop' & Spoons being concreted over. :(

Went to the first meeting at the "Wheels".

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Went to the first meeting at the "Wheels".

I went to the first and last Steve. Not a bad race track, but an awful location.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I went to the first and last Steve. Not a bad race track, but an awful location.

Track was decent in 85 but the stox ruined it the following year. The location was indeed, awful. As was the "stadium".

• Like 2

Only missed one meeting at the wheels (well 2 as it was a double header) the night before the Bradford world final.

I remember the first few meetings in 1984, I didn't drive at the time so I had to find my way to the stadium from the train station. Honestly it was like some kind of assault course off of the krypton factor, lucky I was a lot younger and fitter back then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Pirio Barre said:

Only missed one meeting at the wheels (well 2 as it was a double header) the night before the Bradford world final.

I remember the first few meetings in 1984, I didn't drive at the time so I had to find my way to the stadium from the train station. Honestly it was like some kind of assault course off of the krypton factor, lucky I was a lot younger and fitter back then.

It's even worse now! A right proper sh#t hole....the surrounding areas are no better (including Perry Barr).

The area around the wheels is only going to get worse, either buildings are going to get flattened or some businesses are not going to maintain there buildings as they are only interested in the land that they are on.

Because in about 7 to 10 years that land will be prime estate. There are already some big and ambitious plans for Digbeth/Bordesley and as the opening of HS2 get closer land prices will go through the roof.

I work for a company that until recently was based in Digbeth but moved out due to being inside the Clean air zone however they have still kept ownership of the building in Digbeth, maybe looking to cash in later.

Edited by Pirio Barre
typo

13 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

It's even worse now! A right proper sh#t hole....the surrounding areas are no better (including Perry Barr).

That area of Birmingham, Alum Rock/ Small Heath is by far the worst area of Brum imo, I avoid it. 

2 minutes ago, Brummie Kev said:

That area of Birmingham, Alum Rock/ Small Heath is by far the worst area of Brum imo, I avoid it. 

I spent 25 years of my life in the B11 postcode and moved as far i could away from the area as it became an overwhelming s h i t h o l e:(

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Brummie Kev said:

Ditto !

The closest I venture to B'ham (apart from when in the City Centre) is Castle Bromwich, even that is starting to become over populated....

Solihull, Shirley, Sutton Coldfield, Water Orton and Coleshill are the only decent areas of B'ham IMO....

I don't know much about Kings Heath/Norton to pass comment on that side of Town?

I see the Insulant Britain lot were out in Brum city centre yesterday. I bet most drivers couldn't spot any difference!

• Haha 3