British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

6 minutes ago, Brummies_Ste said:

It was reported the rent has been increased by 100% !

So if we manage to get through the 2022 season & break even, what happens if the rent is increased for the 2023 season.

It's clear the stadium owners just don't want the speedway at Perry Barr by trying to squeeze the club out one way or another.

That is a bridge that will have to be crossed when or if it comes.  It may be a bridge to far?

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You would like to think so but how many tracks in Championship average 1000.would be interesting to here.If Birmingham was 600 last season, 1000 is a big ask IMO.

If Tony Mole was getting circa 1200 with all the goodwill and enthusiam of reopening after so many years then 1000 is a challenge I would think..

Not sure how many in the Championship seem to hit those sorts of figures every week..(?)

Good to see some "new ideas" though so who knows what could be achieved? 

One thing missing for me from many plans when launching Speedway is a strong, innovative, targeted, modern marketing plan leading up to launch which initially captures the local publics attention, and then engages with them individually and constantly via social media/personally ongoing to hopefully keep them informed, engaged, valued and still coming...

New owners always seem to spend loads of time, money and focus on getting riders in to their stadiums, without spending anything like a decent budget on someone who is capable of getting punters into their stadiums as well..

Hopefully the new team at Birmingham have "someone" capable, and a budget set aside, to do this..

The right person, and marketing plan, could be worth their weight in gold... 

Best wishes to those willing to give it a go..

30 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

I'd say 1000 break even without taking in sponsors etc is a pretty realistic figure.

Not at Birmingham unfortunately,  but I hope it can be done . Only this season did redcar get that sort of crowd?

When possible....I think the Masons did as much as they could to get the younger generation involved....they really tried hard to put on some Centre Green entertainment during the interval.

However, I'm not sure the old die hard's just wanting to see the match and then shoot straight off after Heat 15, appreciated all those efforts.

Especially when it's a boring meeting in the freezing cold etc etc etc.....

It's a really difficult balancing act by the looks of it......

• Like 2

suggestions would be good as to the way forward?

I like the thought of allowing the kids (accompanied by an adult) to go in the pits/walk the track before the meeting etc....

Definitely have a raffle and allow the winner/s to watch the last 3 heats (after the interval)from the Centre Green (however many is safely allowed)

Speedway from the middle is an incredible experience.

I know Health and safety wouldn't allow it now....but when I was a kid, you used to get the odd lucky fan, go round on the front/back of the bike with their favourite rider...

It's a shame that this wouldn't be possible nowadays.

May be run some competitions/raffles which would allow a supporter to spend a whole meeting in the pits....or allow a junior to lead the teams out on parade etc...

Just throwing ideas about....

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 1

PROSPECTIVE Birmingham consortium leader Nigel Tolley says the clock is counting down fast if they are achieve their ambition to keep speedway in the city.

Local businessman Tolley addressed a big gathering of supporters on Tuesday and outlined the current position regarding the proposed takeover of the club.

He confirmed a group of four members – which he hopes to increase to five over the coming weeks – have all pledged a significant investment to help bring the Brummies to the tapes in 2022.

No sale has yet been agreed with outgoing owners David and Peter Mason, as the consortium require all of their funds to be in place in order to proceed, and running costs at Perry Barr next year have substantially increased.

The club have been offered a one-year extension to their lease, but at a much-increased rent compared to this year, and also based on them staging 20 meetings with that rent to be paid whether that number is reached or not.

Tolley confirmed the intention is for the Brummies to again line up in the Championship next season, and the realistic deadline for entry is in early December.

He said: “I know Boris Johnson last week at the climate conference said it was five to midnight – well, regarding Birmingham Speedway at the moment, it’s two minutes to midnight.

“These next few weeks are absolutely vital, and we are here to see the future of Birmingham Speedway.

“There are many more hurdles to get over, but we will do our utmost for there to be speedway at Perry Barr next season.

“I’m talking to Peter Mason on a weekly basis, but everything has to be put in its place.

“It’s no good buying the fixtures and fittings if we’re not racing next season, and it’s no good signing a lease until we’re given the go-ahead to race, and we have to get these problems sorted out by the start of the month.

“We want to keep supporters as up-to-date as possible all the way through the proceedings. Without the supporters, we can’t go anywhere.”

Tolley said several avenues are being explored in order to secure funding to cover the rental increase – including a major drive for meeting sponsorship.

He believes that without heavy sponsorship, the club would require an average attendance of around 1,000 in order to break even.

He said: “We’re assured that the other stadiums that have the same owners are being offered exactly the same lease as we’ve been offered.

“If we talk about the same attendances as last season, this will be the final year for Brummies, so we’ve got to do whatever to make sure we’re getting preferably a minimum of 1,000 people into that stadium.

“We’ve got all sorts of ideas about that, and we’ll do whatever we can to make it work – and we also want to hear from supporters with any ideas they’ve got. We are determined to see Perry Barr open for speedway next season.”

The consortium is also set to offer shares in the new limited company to supporters at a minimum investment of £100.

They stress that at present they are seeking pledges only, and no monies will become due until their participation in 2022 is confirmed.

There will be benefits to supporters for getting involved, and full details will be available at Birmingham-speedway.com shortly.
Edited by Speedway fan

I'm not sure that's obtained by most championship clubs. Poole, Glasgow, Edinburgh maybe? Seems to have been downfall of a few clubs trying to hit that target

1 minute ago, KingoftheTrack said:

No chance Birmingham run.

1,000 to break even isn't going to happen.

so they just give up now do they?  Well that's not going to happen ....get behind the people trying to save the club . 

its completely ludicrous to even attempt to run speedway at an arc venue, they are mercenary in every way and if the masons did their cobblers in htf can anyone else make it pay with double the rent. Just be realistic, arc dont want speedway at birmingham, kent, anywhere. 

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, KingoftheTrack said:

No chance Birmingham run.

1,000 to break even isn't going to happen.

You could be right...but it says '1000' to break even -  'without heavy sponsorship'.....

So, heavy sponsorship seems to be the most achievable/realistic target?

ARC's demands are the worrying factor for me......and for the future/going forward etc

How many owners have the Brummies had now? There is a proven history of crowd levels and championship teams at PB.

Added to this if they end up with a poor side by being late to the party it all could be a bit Newcastle 2021. 

I wish them well but this looks like a big ask 

3 minutes ago, noaksey said:

How many owners have the Brummies had now? There is a proven history of crowd levels and championship teams at PB.

Added to this if they end up with a poor side by being late to the party it all could be a bit Newcastle 2021. 

I wish them well but this looks like a big ask 

I agree it does seem a big ask and I doubt they will be given the luxury of leaving it until 2023 wil ARC in charge, I do hope they manage to do it though

1 hour ago, Speedway fan said:

so they just give up now do they?  Well that's not going to happen ....get behind the people trying to save the club . 

People are just being realistic based on previous seasons at Birmingham.The people behind the Club will be  probably wanting fans money to keep them afloat.

• Like 1

Will be tuning into the Speedway Tavern tonight see what the guys think.

1000 average crowd is pushing it when this year i"m sure i read crowds were around 600 at best?

With the average being 1000 it would also need to allow for rain offs and any other things that may crop up that cost money.

Hopefully Brum will come to tapes but realistically whats being said and the way Arc are treating Kent and seems Brum and Newcastle? Then its going be a brave tough decision on the future