British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

Just now, spin king said:

Not possible as far as I aware.

Birmingham have to run 20 meetings as part of the rent agreement.

Also cannot start meetings before 7.30 if it's still the same rules they had when fist started,  I know for a FACT you can't start engine's before 7pm

Speedway isn’t going to die that easily in Birmingham. We beat the council to get permission in 2007 we can beat this bump in our history.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

Just now, Trackerman48 said:

Also cannot start meetings before 7.30 if it's still the same rules they had when fist started,  I know for a FACT you can't start engine's before 7pm

I was going to include that information but was not exactly clear.

12 minutes ago, spin king said:

Not possible as far as I aware.

Birmingham have to run 20 meetings as part of the rent agreement.

Oh right, on second thought of course things would be in favour of the owners.

Guess every way is being thought of or as been thought of to get on track.

Even if Birmingham do run in 2022 I wouldn't be the first one to say they need to find an alternative to Perry Barr for the long term future imho.

Can't see many alternatives for a new location. Birmingham is quite a residential area and land is being swallowed up for more houses. Hall green greyhounds is long gone, Birmingham wheels is gone, there really is not a lot of options I'm afraid, Perry Barr is the only option I can see, if that goes or the greyhounds kick us out Birmingham loses its speedway team, HS2 has also swallowed up a lot of spare land too, I have racked my brains trying to find an alternative venue, there really is nowhere else to go, plus who funds the cost of a new track, I will tell you now Birmingham City Council won't do it. Hopefully something can be done to save the brummies but I would say at the moment it's 30% to continue, but while there is hope we can still dream 

Edited by Gerbat1875

2 hours ago, Deano said:

Speedway isn’t going to die that easily in Birmingham. We beat the council to get permission in 2007 we can beat this bump in our history.

That was nearly 15 years ago mate, look around the city to see how things are changing, the council don't give a toss about Birmingham Speedway and if they got their way they would rid the city of all sports events, they have not really spared too much on the commonwealth stadium, look at Manchester commonwealth stadium, millions spent and its beautiful, it was big enough to take on man City FC after the games, our stadium is just a botch job with a new stand for a games that we only got because others dropped out

Edited by Gerbat1875

Why don't Birmingham and Cradley both run national league teams and track share. NL wages are less so less crowd needed and the financial burden/risk will be split between two promotions.

1 hour ago, eric i said:

Why don't Birmingham and Cradley both run national league teams and track share. NL wages are less so less crowd needed and the financial burden/risk will be split between two promotions.

The powers that be have banned all 'defunct' clubs from competing in league racing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The powers that be have banned all 'defunct' clubs from competing in league racing.

How come Oxford got back in then? And Workington are coming back  First I have heard of this stupid rule if true

16 minutes ago, Gerbat1875 said:

How come Oxford got back in then? And Workington are coming back  First I have heard of this stupid rule if true

Because Oxford and Workington will have their own tracks. Cradley last rode at 'home' in 1995. That's why nomadic teams like Reading and Weymouth were stopped from riding in last seasons junior leagues. 

• Thanks 1

50k annual rent and 20 meetings is draconian and also kills off any thoughts of NDL in my opinion.

As I see it if CL is 10 teams and you have 9 home and 9 away plus KOC and a few fillers, you'd have to run as many as 6 home meetings as  "fillers" to reach the 20 fixtures so, they would be loss making meetings right off. If you don't run 20 fixtures you have to pay more rent per fixture to pay the 50k

There is very little land available at right price in the right areas in Birmingham / Greater Birmingham, and The Black Country is the same, look at Cradley issues trying to find land in Dudley and Sandwell Boroughs.

The big brown field sites like Longbridge have been used for residential and commercial development. The NEC / Airport area where nosie would be less of any issue is pretty much full up.

The City Council and Regional elected Mayor are useless.

As long as Wolves can hang on to Monmore or Coventry can reclaim Brandon, it's a very sobering outlook elsewhere in the area. There is another problem there though as any land that's encroaching on their territory so only robs Peter to pay Paul.

Grim times so we all have to pray that we can keep PB for as long as possible.

• Like 2

There is the possibility of running an NDL team in addition to Championship Speedway would that be more cost effective than only running 14 or so meetings ?, Iv no idea as im not an accountant, but if the rumoured 50k is a fixed figure whatever the number of meetings you may as well use the dates that you have, and it would give Mr Rogers an NDL Team to manage at the level he is best at.

Edited by heathen52

50 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

There is the possibility of running an NDL team in addition to Championship Speedway would that be more cost effective than only running 14 or so meetings ?, Iv no idea as im not an accountant, but if the rumoured 50k is a fixed figure whatever the number of meetings you may as well use the dates that you have, and it would give Mr Rogers an NDL Team to manage at the level he is best at.

Depends how much it costs in wages to run NDL,attendances might not cover costs.

On 11/19/2021 at 10:43 PM, cityrebel said:

It that rule?

I think the concern is, if a team is supported at another track, it could count against them if they were trying to get planning permission for their own track, i.e is there a need for a new track.

An exception could be made here because Birmingham could be lost and Cradley exhausted all their options in a search for a new home.

Vital question: Would the BSPL allow a new entrant (Which the consortium would be) into the League with only a 1 year lease which the consortium have, I would unfortunately very much doubt it