British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

Its nowt to do with the Council how many fans watch Birmingham Speedway, do the Councillors tell Brummies to stay away or otherwise ?. The biggest issue Birmingham Speedway need to overcome apart from how many watch meetings is the apparent lack of security at the Stadium, and gaining more access to the Track to do remedial work.

4 hours ago, Brummies23 said:

Depending if they want to come ride for the brummies that’s another question.. 

1) Sam Masters. 9.88 

2)  paco 5.52

3) Ryan Douglas 7.74

4) Tero Aarnio 6.94

5) Danny king or martin smolinski 

6) joe Thompson 

7) jack thomas 

That the team I look to build 

Hum, well 4 of them riders are fixed up, and if they did field a team of that status they would need to average 1500 per

home meeting 

You are correct about not being on the council and i never said he was on the council, all i said was speak to him, he does have a massive influence on his constituency, dont tell me the council dont listen to his twopenneth worth, Khalid Mahmood is a very influential man, trust me i know, i have had dealings with him about certain properties and ive come off second best following his input , also the city council, Mahmood is a big voice in Perry Barr. Jack Dromey is the same in the Erdington constiuency, if they had no influence i would be very surprised, anyway back to the topic, what would be the best scenario regarding the upcoming season ? ARC wont budge on the rent thats for sure, will the brummies run in 2022, if so what happens if the crowds dont turn up ? its all right saying fans need to turn up and they would kill off the speedway if they dont, but where does this income come from if your a family who live week to week, like possibly 60% of Brummies are and i,d say half the country at that, we all wish we could find that extra £70/80 a week to spend on our families for a night out, and i have said previously ask a kid 9 or 10 years of age would he like a night bowling, or go to the speedway, 99.9% would go bowling because they have never heard of speedway, i said before i took my grandkids to speedway for a meeting after 2 heats they wanted to go home, did not help with track delays i admit. Took them to T20 cricket at edgbaston, they loved it, keep badgering when they can go again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Argos said:

Hum, well 4 of them riders are fixed up, and if they did field a team of that status they would need to average 1500 per

home meeting 

None of the teams have announced this riders yet in their teams. So you never know. 

what’s your 1-7 then if we’re riding this year 

8 minutes ago, Brummies23 said:

None of the teams have announced this riders yet in their teams. So you never know. 

All the other teams will have their line ups sorted… It’s December, just not announced yet 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

You are correct about not being on the council and i never said he was on the council, all i said was speak to him, he does have a massive influence on his constituency, dont tell me the council dont listen to his twopenneth worth, Khalid Mahmood is a very influential man, trust me i know, i have had dealings with him about certain properties and ive come off second best following his input , also the city council, Mahmood is a big voice in Perry Barr. Jack Dromey is the same in the Erdington constiuency, if they had no influence i would be very surprised, anyway back to the topic, what would be the best scenario regarding the upcoming season ? ARC wont budge on the rent thats for sure, will the brummies run in 2022, if so what happens if the crowds dont turn up ? its all right saying fans need to turn up and they would kill off the speedway if they dont, but where does this income come from if your a family who live week to week, like possibly 60% of Brummies are and i,d say half the country at that, we all wish we could find that extra £70/80 a week to spend on our families for a night out, and i have said previously ask a kid 9 or 10 years of age would he like a night bowling, or go to the speedway, 99.9% would go bowling because they have never heard of speedway, i said before i took my grandkids to speedway for a meeting after 2 heats they wanted to go home, did not help with track delays i admit. Took them to T20 cricket at edgbaston, they loved it, keep badgering when they can go again. 

So true!

If Mahmood had a son that rode speedway, it would be packed out every week ! :D

10 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

All very well, but, you still haven't said what he's said against speedway.

44 minutes ago, Deano said:

All very well, but, you still haven't said what he's said against speedway.

Wasn't he quite helpful during the campaign to bring the Brummies back all those years ago? I'm sure I have a couple of House of Commons letters from him somewhere. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OGT said:

Wasn't he quite helpful during the campaign to bring the Brummies back all those years ago? I'm sure I have a couple of House of Commons letters from him somewhere. 

That was my experience. But Gerbat is saying they want it closed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brummies23 said:

That’s the Problem I can’t 

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

So true!

If Mahmood had a son that rode speedway, it would be packed out every week ! :D

Les Whaley thought the same when he opened Odsal, never happened.

The last thing that Birmingham Speedway (and Speedway in general) need is for the club to start the 2022 season but not be able to finish it!!

• Like 1

Khalid Mahmood was extremely helpful and supportive when we were fighting for planning permission, and I would be very surprised if he has altered his views since then.

Ian Ward, the Leader of Birmingham City Council, was also very supportive, and  having never seen a speedway meeting, he has already accepted an invitation to attend a meeting ( delayed by the onset of Covid 19, but it's just a matter of agreeing a suitable date with him.

As a matter of interest, we have not had a complaint about noise from local residents for the past 5/6 years - and the last one was about noise from the tannoy - not the bikes!

This could be in another post I guess, as anything ever been done to attract Asian, black & other such  communities to speedway?

You may say speedway isn't a sport in their culture but that's no different to most of the British white culture!

I never said khalid mahmood wanted the speedway closed, all I said was he stands up for his constituency, a lot of residents in the Perry Barr area hate the speedway, if he needs votes he will go with his constituents, to keep them onside. Mahmood did a great job selling the commonwealth games to the residents of the Perry Barr.

Edited by Gerbat1875