British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

22 hours ago, Brummies23 said:

Depending if they want to come ride for the brummies that’s another question.. 

1) Sam Masters. 9.88 

2)  paco 5.52

3) Ryan Douglas 7.74

4) Tero Aarnio 6.94

5) Danny king or martin smolinski 

6) joe Thompson 

7) jack thomas 

That the team I look to build 

Looks more like a Premiership team?

3 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

I never said khalid mahmood wanted the speedway closed, all I said was he stands up for his constituency, a lot of residents in the Perry Barr area hate the speedway, if he needs votes he will go with his constituents, to keep them onside. Mahmood did a great job selling the commonwealth games to the residents of the Perry Barr.

Read Brian’s post no complaints in five years. I think you are just making stuff up to come across as negative.

12 hours ago, Deano said:

Read Brian’s post no complaints in five years. I think you are just making stuff up to come across as negative.

The commonwealth games will cost council tax payers money and has caused them and will continue to cause them more disruption than all the years of speedway put together. 

I don't believe they give a toss about a few hundred people on a Wednesday night for a few months. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, OGT said:

The commonwealth games will cost council tax payers money and has caused them and will continue to cause them more disruption than all the years of speedway put together. 

I don't believe they give a toss about a few hundred people on a Wednesday night for a few months. 

100% this...

Birmingham's problem is, like so many other tracks, that they get so very, very few people interested in watching Speedway from a huge conurbation on their doorstep..

If that issue ever got fixed then no council, no dog racing company, or even security guards being over officious, would have hardly any impact on it whatsoever..

Speedways problems are simply down to not enough people attending which, in the vast majority of reasons, is due to self inflicted issues rather than any external influences..

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

100% this...

Birmingham's problem is, like so many other tracks, that they get so very, very few people interested in watching Speedway from a huge conurbation on their doorstep..

If that issue ever got fixed then no council, no dog racing company, or even security guards being over officious, would have hardly any impact on it whatsoever..

Speedways problems are simply down to not enough people attending which, in the vast majority of reasons, is due to self inflicted issues rather than any external influences..

Brum's big problem since the 2007 relaunch is the 21 year gap between the Wheels and Perry Barr. This is why the majority of supporters are, to be kind, mature and in a lot of cases, very mature. Finding and holding  on to a new generation of fans is a huge, huge task.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, OGT said:

Brum's big problem since the 2007 relaunch is the 21 year gap between the Wheels and Perry Barr. This is why the majority of supporters are, to be kind, mature and in a lot of cases, very mature. Finding and holding  on to a new generation of fans is a huge, huge task.

An no doubt like so many tracks they will have a very solid numbered fan base who still take an interest in the team, and in the wider sport itself, yet wont attend too many meetings, if indeed, any at all...

If tracks could just get those who "follow them" to attend each week/more regularly, that, given such low numbers in real terms who do attend, 100% crowd increases wouldnt be out of the question for some, and well into double digit growth for many...

I went to Birmingham about six years ago to watch the Aces and felt like a 48 year old 'spring chicken' when I entered the upstairs bar and saw the average age of their support...

A tough ask to run Speedway there I would suggest, especially given the wider way the sport is ran in the UK will always negatively impact crowds and prevent potential from ever being delivered..

Best wishes to those who try...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PirateShip said:

This could be in another post I guess, as anything ever been done to attract Asian, black & other such  communities to speedway?

You may say speedway isn't a sport in their culture but that's no different to most of the British white culture!

This is not just a birmingham problem . Go to any track or watch on TV and you will see rows of white faces. I understand not completely white but you are right. In our multi cultural society, does speedway do enough to attract non white people?

Just now, mikebv said:

An no doubt like so many tracks they will have a very solid numbered fan base who still take an interest in the team, and in the wider sport itself, yet wont attend too many meetings, if indeed, any at all...

If tracks could just get those who "follow them" to attend each week/more regularly, that, given such low numbers in real terms who do attend, 100% crowd increases wouldnt be out of the question for some, and well into double digit growth for many...

I went to Birmingham about six years ago to watch the Aces and felt like a 48 year old 'spring chicken' when I entered the upstairs bar and saw the average age of their support...

A tough ask to run Speedway there I would suggest, especially given the wider way the sport is ran in the UK will always negatively impact crowds and prevent potential from ever being delivered..

Best wishes to those who try...

Problem speedway faces imo is that to most it is not the primary sport they follow. Being from West of Scotland where football is essentially a religion I fall into that category as well. The cost of attending a meeting now does not allow the average person to spend 50/60 quid at the football on a Saturday n still be able to afford the speedway every week as well. I know Berwick trialled tenner entry a few years back not sure if had any effect on attendances (bandits fans?) Buy I think once you're talking 20 odd quid it's difficult to entice people away from saying, ach I'll just get it on the updates

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Petecc said:

This is not just a birmingham problem . Go to any track or watch on TV and you will see rows of white faces. I understand not completely white but you are right. In our multi cultural society, does speedway do enough to attract non white people?

Yep sorry, appreciate it's not just a Birmingham problem :t:

1 hour ago, PirateShip said:

Yep sorry, appreciate it's not just a Birmingham problem :t:

Sorry wasn't having a dig at you  , I agree, your right.

2 hours ago, Jaizer said:

Problem speedway faces imo is that to most it is not the primary sport they follow. Being from West of Scotland where football is essentially a religion I fall into that category as well. The cost of attending a meeting now does not allow the average person to spend 50/60 quid at the football on a Saturday n still be able to afford the speedway every week as well. I know Berwick trialled tenner entry a few years back not sure if had any effect on attendances (bandits fans?) Buy I think once you're talking 20 odd quid it's difficult to entice people away from saying, ach I'll just get it on the updates

The British public doesent think that speedway represents value for money, hence the lack of newbies. Until this changes, the sport is going one way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

The British public doesent think that speedway represents value for money, hence the lack of newbies. Until this changes, the sport is going one way.

I'd disagree with that. I did a survey of 1000 speedway fans and 70% of people rated the value for money as 7/10 or higher. Baring in mind only 35% of the 1000 were regular speedway goers...

2 hours ago, Petecc said:

Sorry wasn't having a dig at you  , I agree, your right.

Understand you wasn't :t:

Unless I've missed it, any actual news on whether or not Brummies are racing next season??

Understand they av until the end of this week to declare.

55 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Unless I've missed it, any actual news on whether or not Brummies are racing next season??

Understand they av until the end of this week to declare.

They have til the AGM on Tuesday!

• Thanks 1