British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Don't let the IOW hear you say that!!

Whoops, sorry IOW! Yes a big oversight by me, they've been very successful over on the Island with their varied programme of events.

:t:

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

I'm not so sure about the advertising and presentation being a massive turn-off, more likely antiquated stadia (bar a few tracks), poor facilities and viewing when compared to other sports events or nights out. Maybe the thought of either getting dusty or wet just doesn't appeal to the masses anymore. 

You could be right, it is difficult to pin down . My other guess would be we’ve bred a generation that sits in front of the Xbox or YouTube. Very few kids want to walk out the front door these days. Streaming for me is important to capture that generation as you won’t get them through the turnstiles very easily.

• Like 1

Think it needs speedwayfan to post on here with any updates? Just to keep the fans informed hopefully good news

4 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

Again I'd disagree. Why would any promoter not care about the people coming through the gates?

With gate admissions up at most tracks this year any business would be tempted to try leave things as much as possible as something is clearly working.

I think any crowd increases would be led by the 2nd Division clubs who basically had 1st Division riders which must have encouraged a few extra to go...

Unfortunatley having no clear demarcation between the leagues is one of its major issues that hold it back, and Div 2 teams are not likely to accept their "real place" in the peckng order any time soon I would suggest..

Hence RS's have been disbanded already in Div 2...

The RS plan was a laudible one, but clearly should have been aimed at 2nd Div teams so any 3rd Div riders could progress into those places..

And going back to those "increased crowds"...

The sport lost Eastbourne, and almost Newcastle, whilst Birmingham took a sabbatical mid season and there isnt any guarantee they will be back this season..

Add to that the start of "Go Fund Me" pages and I would suggest the sport still faces serious challenges, which, as has been shown for a long, long, time, the approach they use in running it, wont ever solve.. 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, PirateShip said:

Whoops, sorry IOW! Yes a big oversight by me, they've been very successful over on the Island with their varied programme of events.

:t:

How do we know that its been 'very successful' on IOW, other than by their own generated publicity?  No criticism - Just asking!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

How do we know that its been 'very successful' on IOW, other than by their own generated publicity?  No criticism - Just asking!!

Rider interviews, plenty on speedway portal youtube channel. 

• Like 1

Take it from me it a huge success I visited it this year and there more fans there than what was at Birmingham on the following Wednesday, and the handicapping made excellent racing  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bluenose said:

None have a team at the mo.

All have a go.

1  DOUGLAS  8.31

2  PACO     5.52

3  THOMAS   5.72 

4  SHANES   5.01

5  AUTY     7.34

6  ROYNON   5.21   

7  RUML     4.00

Shanes NO thank you!! Last person on the list with Morris who was poor 

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

The crowd was decent when i went in July.

9 hours ago, Barry The Cat said:

See riders starting to go public that still owed money for final meetings in 2021.

Not good and reflects poorly on the Masons. Think all outstanding money should be paid up before the club can be sold personally.  I understand the family are tryingbto recoup done losses but negative press devalues the club more and no sale means nothing back.

Is this a similar situation to what Rob Grant found himself in at Newcastle last year, does the potential buyer start an entirely new company or purchase the existing company and the potential debts that go with it ?, and we all know what happened at Newcastle dont we..

5 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

Is this a similar situation to what Rob Grant found himself in at Newcastle last year, does the potential buyer start an entirely new company or purchase the existing company and the potential debts that go with it ?, and we all know what happened at Newcastle dont we..

I'm amazed there are still people prepared to take on all the hassle. Speedway fans are a rare breed.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:11 PM, Sir Sidney said:

I would imagine the vast majority of residents in Birmingham and the surrounding catchment area have no idea that it exists

I remember a few years ago, Joe Mclaughlin had a big poster put on a advertising board in a side street in Erdington, the poster is still there actually. Whilst the idea was good it was in the wrong place hardly anyone goes up that street, and trying to sell speedway in Erdington is like trying to sell glasses to a blind man. Brummies could do with stuff like speedway training schools etc to get kids interested, but I don't think the track owners would allow it. 

Edited by Gerbat1875

47 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

surely some arrangement should be made by BSPL to clear the outstanding riders wages via bonds held?