British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

8 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

If Belle Vue, one of the best tracks in the world can't pull in the punters, what hope is there for the rest.

Very true. I have friends who are less than 10 miles away from Belle Vue and are motorsport fans. They had no idea there was speedway at Belke Vue. I took them along and now they go - not every week, but more than they would have done.

21 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

If the Brummies do run, will the rent increase mean a rise in admission costs.

They said they were looking for more Sponsorship to help run. But any increases will be seen as a negative and especially if they are not a team winning.

Interesting post on facebook from Valentin Grobauer, that him, Erik Riss and Paco Castagna haven’t been paid for their last two meetings, and David Mason has been making up excuses as to why not

43 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

If the Brummies do run, will the rent increase mean a rise in admission costs.

Not sure what the costs will be...but IF they run, I think £20 plus a free programme would be a reasonable shout to me.

I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion/s.

I'd also like to see some changes to the rules, especially the movement at the start ? (I know it's not going to happen/change...)

But allowing movement at the start adds to the excitement IMO....giving the 'lesser' rider a chance to anticipate a rolling start makes for a better race, especially when the more skilled/quicker rider has to chase....also, it would even out the gate advantage...especially when gate 1, or 4 has a clear head start......

Racing is far too processional and this only adds to the monotony of a lot of speedway meetings.

I asked a friend of mine if he ever watches speedway on Sky/BT and he said no, simply becoz 9 times out of 10, 'first one to the corner' usually wins....

'WE' (speedway fans) know that this isnt true, but it's easy to see why 'NON' speedway fans would assume/think this IMO.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Interesting post on facebook from Valentin Grobauer, that him, Erik Riss and Paco Castagna haven’t been paid for their last two meetings, and David Mason has been making up excuses as to why not

That''s not good...if it's true!? it does surprise me....the Masons seemed like decent men!

16 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Not sure what the costs will be...but IF they run, I think £20 plus a free programme would be a reasonable shout to me.

I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion/s.

I'd also like to see some changes to the rules, especially the movement at the start ? (I know it's not going to happen/change...)

But allowing movement at the start adds to the excitement IMO....giving the 'lesser' rider a chance to anticipate a rolling start makes for a better race, especially when the more skilled/quicker rider has to chase....also, it would even out the gate advantage...especially when gate 1, or 4 has a clear head start......

Racing is far too processional and this only adds to the monotony of a lot of speedway meetings.

I asked a friend of mine if he ever watches speedway on Sky/BT and he said no, simply becoz 9 times out of 10, 'first one to the corner' usually wins....

'WE' (speedway fans) know that this isnt true, but it's easy to see why 'NON' speedway fans would assume/think this IMO.

The issue with that is you pay VAT on the ticket but not the programme (id sold and not part of admission) so it dents the profit.

18 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

That''s not good...if it's true!? it does surprise me....the Masons seemed like decent men!

And they are. But if the company which ran the speedway has no cash left, there's no money in the bank to pay riders. Probably waiting for sale to go through and money from sale will pay riders. No different to me having zero cash in my bank account - Tesco will decline my card.

5 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

£20 plus a free programme would be a reasonable shout to me

No everyone wants a programme. If husband and wife go, for example, one programme is sufficient in most cases. Others will print a racecard for themselves and not be bothered with a programme.

2 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

Judging by the high percentage of those living over 20 miles from a track, I'd say that was a big factor!

Big factor but more importantly big information to have. If more clubs / people understood their crowds and attendees better it would be far easier to determine which demographic to focus any advertising drive at rather than i one size fits all blanket approach that often misses most.

48 minutes ago, W9 Lion said:

The issue with that is you pay VAT on the ticket but not the programme (id sold and not part of admission) so it dents the profit.

Tell that to newcsstle :D

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Big factor but more importantly big information to have. If more clubs / people understood their crowds and attendees better it would be far easier to determine which demographic to focus any advertising drive at rather than i one size fits all blanket approach that often misses most.

Totally agree! The biggest thing I got from my survey was that what's cried about on forums/fan pages isn't necessarily the majority thoughts. It seems the ones that speak up on their rule changes etc are actually in the minority!

If BSPL knew that it would help them make their decisions I'd think 

54 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Demographic information on viewers/crowd is only good if the figures are helpful. Based on my first hand experience as Advertising Sales Director of the then broadcast partner (which is over 15 years ago) speedway fans are to old, to male, to poor and come from the wrong socio-econimic profile to be attractive to most advertisers.

By comparison and based on 2019 broadcast information the average netball viewer is 30 years younger, and earns twice as much as a speedway viewer.  Where Demographic information would be helpful is in developing the product to attract a younger more affluent audience which will be more attractive to commercial partners within the stadium.

Edited by W9 Lion
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, W9 Lion said:

Demographic information on viewers/crowd is only good if the figures are helpful. Based on my first hand experience as Advertising Sales Director of the then broadcast partner (which is over 15 years ago) speedway fans are to old, to male, to poor and come from the wrong socio-econimic profile to be attractive to most advertisers.

By comparison and based on 2019 broadcast information the average netball viewer is 30 years younger, and earns twice as much as a speedway viewer.  Where Demographic information would be helpful is in developing the product to attract a younger more affluent audience which will be more attractive to commercial partners within the stadium.

Whilst the format remains the same the demographic won't really change but thats because Speedway is just a rough and tumble thrills and spills sport. The following of most motorsport attracts the similar crowd types with only the bigger money events getting remotely close to the younger demographic (and Speedway is far closer to grasstrack, stock cars and banger racing than it is F1 of Moto GP). The followers want to see racing right on the edge with the occasions past the limit to keep perspective. 

If the general consensus  that  speedway fans are too poor to attend regularly (even if the value for money rating is high) then the sport to spectate needs to be cheaper or it needs to be so entertaining that they won't miss it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshall07 said:

Totally agree! The biggest thing I got from my survey was that what's cried about on forums/fan pages isn't necessarily the majority thoughts. It seems the ones that speak up on their rule changes etc are actually in the minority!

If BSPL knew that it would help them make their decisions I'd think 

Think the BSPL don’t really care what any fans think.Everything is rosy to them.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Think the BSPL don’t really care what any fans think.Everything is rosy to them.

Again I'd disagree. Why would any promoter not care about the people coming through the gates?

With gate admissions up at most tracks this year any business would be tempted to try leave things as much as possible as something is clearly working.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

Again I'd disagree. Why would any promoter not care about the people coming through the gates?

With gate admissions up at most tracks this year any business would be tempted to try leave things as much as possible as something is clearly working.

Like I said everything is rosy at BSPL.Most Clubs still have the begging bowls out for fan groups to donate regular money to help then out financially though.So what is clearly working.? Fans trusts seem to be the way forward for now,don’t think that is going to solve much.IMO.