British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

56 minutes ago, Col said:

Birmingham have no chance of making the play-off's, regardless of any changes.  Haven't checked averages in regards which Eagle could replace which Brummie.  With a decent third heat leader instead of Grobauer this septet wouldn't be far off.

The cut-off point for changes has passed, so unless a change has been lodged with the BSPL but not publicised yet the team will remain the same.

I don't think they should make a change, they're holding their own at home which when the home meetings don't clash with football fixtures will mean a decent crowd, getting thumped away will reduce the averages for next year.  It only needs one rider change for that team to be challenging, a heat leader instead of Grobauer.  Move Morris to two where I think he'll prosper.

• Like 3

I wouldn't be critical of any B'ham rider this season....the pressures of an on/off campaign.....not knowing from week to week what's happening.....poor track conditions....(not just at home by looks of it....) if there had to be a change then it would obviously be Grobauer, but we all knew that could/would be the case before a wheel was turned....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

I wouldn't be critical of any B'ham rider this season....the pressures of an on/off campaign.....not knowing from week to week what's happening.....poor track conditions....(not just at home by looks of it....) if there had to be a change then it would obviously be Grobauer, but we all knew that could/would be the case before a wheel was turned....

Absolutely, they've done well under difficult circumstances and apart from Scunthorpe at home, have either won or lost on a last heat decider if I remember right. Home entertainment has been good and this is important for any club and the fans have been brilliant too. We might not make the play offs but it's been nice to have racing back at Perry Barr and hopefully next season will be even better! 

• Like 3

I don't get to many away meetings to watch Leicester because of the geographical implications of the majority of teams in this league, but I did enjoy my visit to Perry Barr a few weeks ago. Despite my team losing and the unacceptably dusty track, it didn't put me off returning (Brummies financial circumstances permitting). Home fans and track staff were very friendly and good humoured. The opportunity to casually enter the pits and do a track walk with riders (chatted with the very open Ashley Morris) sticks in my mind. I even started to eaves drop on the Brummies team talk they were having between bends 1 and 2 (but they just seemed to be taking the mick out of each other) before walking back to the terraces.

From this experience, I would be gutted if the Brummies (add in Newcastle) couldn't come to the tapes next year. The sad fact however is that it appeared that at least half of the crowd were away supporters and I doubt that other visiting teams would be represented by similar numbers (in view of it being a midweek track and there being no other teams an hours travelling time).

Despite it being the second largest city in the country, if the interest in the sport isn't there, what can you do? Enough promotions have tried.

• Like 1

After the last two meetings at Perry Barr where the supporters spent more time watching tractors go around the track than 500cc bikes and the woeful showing at Edinburgh. I think it's time to pray the Brummies are with us in 2022. Absolute disaster of a season.

Edited by Col

Hope with Newcastle coming back on board this gives fresh impetus for the Mason's to carry on  :t: or at least someone to keep the Brummies alive :t:

Edited by PirateShip

17 hours ago, PirateShip said:

Hope with Newcastle coming back on board this gives fresh impetus for the Mason's to carry on  :t: or at least someone to keep the Brummies alive :t:

I rather suspect it will be someone else rather than the Masons if Birmingham is to carry on into 2022, The Masons have already said they wont be carrying on in 2022 and its had a detrimental affect on there Health with all the issues that they have had to face in 2021. Lets hope that there is someone out there brave enough to take up the promotion duties at Birmingham lets be honest if the second city cant support Speedway then where can it get enough support?.

2 hours ago, heathen52 said:

I rather suspect it will be someone else rather than the Masons if Birmingham is to carry on into 2022, The Masons have already said they wont be carrying on in 2022 and its had a detrimental affect on there Health with all the issues that they have had to face in 2021. Lets hope that there is someone out there brave enough to take up the promotion duties at Birmingham lets be honest if the second city cant support Speedway then where can it get enough support?.

There are many reasons why speedway is struggling in Brum. The size of the city is no guarantee of support. Pick up the stadium and plonk it in the middle of Dudley and it'd be packed out for every match. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, heathen52 said:

Tony Mole to return in some capacity would be great :t:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PirateShip said:

Tony Mole to return in some capacity would be great :t:

Or Graham Drury!

The only thing I can see that might happen, is if Laurence Rogers becomes the saviour and B'ham drop back to NL? (not a preferred 'level' choice....but that's where his expertise lies imo...)

He has a lot of positive contacts within the sport.

• Haha 1

Tony Mole must be 90!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

86 in November...

Peterborough bound....

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1