Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, heathen52 said:

That was my first thought 6 man Teams, you can also add Rory Schlein to the retirees. I dont see how the Sport can afford International stars, and it wouldnt necesarily improve the racing it would just mean the second reserves would have less chance of winning. First of all we need to get the product right over here with the riders that we have, to begin with get rid of doubling up/down which one League would see the back of.

I agree entirely with you....I also think that if we want/expect our 'younger' riders to improve, then we need to have a certain standard requirement of racing surface?

A lot of the tracks in this country are p#ss poor ( B'ham....Poole....Leicester....to name but a few........)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The majority of supporters would like to see the Premiership expanded to 8 or 10 teams, but if this does happen, there would have to be a pretty drastic reduction of operating costs (or a big increase in admission prices - which nobody wants!) and there would also have to be a dramatic reduction in team strengths in order to make the new entrants competitive. People always jib at any suggestion of weakening teams,  or "watering down" as it is usually described, but in reality, there isn't an alternative - we have to accept that team strengths can only be levelled downwards - not upwards!

As far as doubling-up is concerned, it is my firm opinion that allowing this to happen in the first place, has been the damaging decision that the BSPA has ever made, and we are left in the situation of now finding it totally impossible to get rid of this, or even restrict it. The riders now consider themselves to have a God-given right to belong to more than one team, and any attempt to do away with doubling-up will be savagely opposed. I detest the rule myself, but I just don't see any way of getting shut of it.

 

Edited by brianbuck
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

The majority of supporters would like to see the Premiership expanded to 8 or 10 teams, but if this does happen, there would have to be a pretty drastic reduction of operating costs (or a big increase in admission prices - which nobody wants!) and there would also have to be a dramatic reduction in team strengths in order to make the new entrants competitive. People always jib at any suggestion of weakening teams,  or "watering down" as it is usually described, but in reality, there isn't an alternative - we have to accept that team strengths can only be levelled downwards - not upwards!

As far as doubling-up is concerned, it is my firm opinion that allowing this to happen in the first place, has been the damaging decision that the BSPA has ever made, and we are left in the situation of now finding it totally impossible to get rid of this, or even restrict it. The riders now consider themselves to have a God-given right to belong to more than one team, and any attempt to do away with doubling-up will be savagely opposed. I detest the rule myself, but I just don't see any way of getting shut of it.

 

That’s it in a nutshell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an excellent post. I'm not sure the riders think it's a God-given right to be in 2 teams tho, more of a necessity to make it worthwhile nowadays. That said, I think wages are probably the easiest way to cut back on costs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2021 at 8:15 AM, GiveusaB said:

I agree entirely with you....I also think that if we want/expect our 'younger' riders to improve, then we need to have a certain standard requirement of racing surface?

A lot of the tracks in this country are p#ss poor ( B'ham....Poole....Leicester....to name but a few........)

 

Not much wrong with Poole's track compared to others - now it has been sorted!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now Chris Harris as signed for berwick for next season,  what does that mean for Birmingham? Just asking the question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trackerman48 said:

Now Chris Harris as signed for berwick for next season,  what does that mean for Birmingham? Just asking the question. 

The End

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brummies_Ste said:

The End

Do you honestly believe that? Thought that there was something happening with a take over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Now Chris Harris as signed for berwick for next season,  what does that mean for Birmingham? Just asking the question. 

Absolutely nothing.

Riders move clubs annually .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2021 at 12:43 PM, Petecc said:

That will have lowered the wage bill ?

Possibly, depends who the replacement is, because if the Brummies do run, they'll need a replacement, Danny King or Adam Ellis ideally. Can't imagine either are much cheaper wages wise than Harris (if at all).  Don't know if Brummies were footing the bill for Riss & Grobauer travel or if both were based in the UK... but if the Brummies were shelling out for that, it would be the ideal start to lowering costs with UK only based riders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Riss certainly based in the UK, and I'm pretty sure that Ellis wanted more than Harris 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Col said:

Possibly, depends who the replacement is, because if the Brummies do run, they'll need a replacement, Danny King or Adam Ellis ideally. Can't imagine either are much cheaper wages wise than Harris (if at all).  Don't know if Brummies were footing the bill for Riss & Grobauer travel or if both were based in the UK... but if the Brummies were shelling out for that, it would be the ideal start to lowering costs with UK only based riders.

100% sure it will not be Danny King. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2021 at 11:09 AM, Col said:

Possibly, depends who the replacement is, because if the Brummies do run, they'll need a replacement, Danny King or Adam Ellis ideally. Can't imagine either are much cheaper wages wise than Harris (if at all).  Don't know if Brummies were footing the bill for Riss & Grobauer travel or if both were based in the UK... but if the Brummies were shelling out for that, it would be the ideal start to lowering costs with UK only based riders.

Grobauer's travel costs wouldnt add up to much, he was hardly ever there.....

Edited by crescent girl
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy