British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

It's such a shame that we have missed out on any 'sports funding' for Birmingham, with 'us' (B'ham) being the hosts of the Common Wealth Games in 2022.(July/August)

One other thing about sponsorship etc....Mark Elkin who's a very well known Darts/Sports management owner, is a massive lifelong Brummies fan...he's always at Home meetings.

He manages some of the biggest stars in the darts world.....it would be great if we could lean on his expertise ....may be?

3 hours ago, Speedway fan said:

so they just give up now do they?  Well that's not going to happen ....get behind the people trying to save the club . 

It's all false hope.

Just no way Birmingham get a 1,000 fans turn up at every home meeting. Dodgy weather forecast keeps many fans away these days, Then you get the odd farce meeting full of guests and R/R which see's a low attendance.

Speedway clubs need to break away from venues owned by other parties such as greyhound stadiums as it's not a viable way to survive anymore. Yep I know, easier said than done unless u av a few bob in yer back pocket. We wouldn't have Belle Vue if they hadn't moved but of course no one would expect a NSS for every club.

Is the Wheels Project at Adderley Park worth a consideration? I guess this would have already been considered. I went there in '85 to watch Long Eaton and numerous other meetings.

From what I know the stadium is still there as you can see the floodlights when your on a passing train.

Edited by PirateShip

6 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Birmingham Bordesley Green (Wheels Project) (defunctspeedway.co.uk)

To quote:

'The wheels project is still used by stock cars and could house speedway again, with very little work if the Greyhound Stadium ever runs into trouble running the speedway'

The wheels project closed a few weeks ago and the leaseholder has handed the keys back . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, KingoftheTrack said:

It's all false hope.

Just no way Birmingham get a 1,000 fans turn up at every home meeting. Dodgy weather forecast keeps many fans away these days, Then you get the odd farce meeting full of guests and R/R which see's a low attendance.

well the consortium are not giving up and have big plans and will be working hard on marketing and promotion in a variety of ways .  You may be a pessimist thankfully they aren't 

• Like 1

As Phil Collins once sang ........after Cradley closed? :unsure: 

And you coming back to me is against all the odds, It's the chance I gotta take.

:t:

We at Long Eaton still meet up once a month dreaming into our pint glass, and also thinking it's half full ;)

37 minutes ago, KingoftheTrack said:

It's all false hope.

It's better to try and fail than fail to try!!! :t:

2 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

Matt and Danny could get you to do the jokes at the Poole end of season do...on the other hand:rofl:

Scores on the doors Miss Ford? :rofl:

would the national league be more viable? Less wages and 99% of crowd would still turn up. There could be an extra competition/mini league for those national league teams that want more fixtures.

30 minutes ago, Speedway fan said:

well the consortium are not giving up and have big plans and will be working hard on marketing and promotion in a variety of ways .  You may be a pessimist thankfully they aren't 

Lol.

False hope will only prolong the pain once the inevitable happens.

19 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

It's better to try and fail than fail to try!!! :t:

On realistic terms I would agree but they aren't going to get 1,000 fans to turn up at every home meeting as it's an unrealistic target by a distance.

Premiership clubs don't get anywhere near that most weeks and that's with higher quality 1-7's on show.

Let's say they run just for the sake of it.........They'd be left with the scraps to build an uncompetitive 1-7 and then they'll need 1,000 fans to pay up every week to watch them.

It's just so unrealistic and the writing is on the wall either way. They'll either not run or they'll take a huge risk and run to fight a losing battle and they'll go bust mid season and pull out like Eastbourne did this year.