British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Birmingham Brummies 2020

I totally agree that it's not ideal....but might just help to 'tread-water' for a season or two?

I guess it's all about pride/tradition and more realistically 'geographics' ?

15 minutes ago, Deano said:

A change of name to the Birmingham Heathens, could draw in the Cradley Promoters. This was mentioned in the meeting. To be honest though this is where speedway fails as you just alienate everyone. The Scottish Monarchs, London Lions, Poole Wildcats, Eastbourne Dons all had a limited time in the sport. There are more.

like Workington, we need a field!

Thought u had Northside taking shape?

18 minutes ago, Deano said:

A change of name to the Birmingham Heathens, could draw in the Cradley Promoters. This was mentioned in the meeting. To be honest though this is where speedway fails as you just alienate everyone. The Scottish Monarchs, London Lions, Poole Wildcats, Eastbourne Dons all had a limited time in the sport. There are more.

like Workington, we need a field!

Cradley at Stoke went down like a lead balloon even with Hancock & Hamill riding.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Cradley at Stoke went down like a lead balloon even with Hancock & Hamill riding.

I remember the pair of them walking around the Loomer road track picking up Stock car debris prior to the speedway meeting!

1 hour ago, PirateShip said:

Stoke? says it all really....:unsure:

I think a B'ham/Cov combo would work ....no doubt Cov fans will start firing at me :o

Just now, GiveusaB said:

Stoke? says it all really....:unsure:

I think a B'ham/Cov combo would work ....no doubt Cov fans will start firing at me :o

Well understandably Cov fans didn't support the NDL team that raced at Leicester but then it was Mick Horton that came up with that idea!

54 minutes ago, PirateShip said:

Well understandably Cov fans didn't support the NDL team that raced at Leicester but then it was Mick Horton that came up with that idea!

Big stumbling block (other than geography) is the block on ghost teams so I guess at best hope is either Birmingham Bee's or the sponsored by approach so Birmingham "Coventry Bees" Brummies but neither would get Coventry listed in any official results so not a lot in it for them really.

C'mon Birmingham, u can get back on track as the Brummies in 2022 at Perry Barr. :t:

21 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Big stumbling block (other than geography) is the block on ghost teams so I guess at best hope is either Birmingham Bee's or the sponsored by approach so Birmingham "Coventry Bees" Brummies but neither would get Coventry listed in any official results so not a lot in it for them really.

There would be absolutely zero in it for the bees as it would provide just the ammunition that the stadium owners are looking for .That being " the stadium is surplus to requirements enhancing their desire for planning to build houses." 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

There would be absolutely zero in it for the bees as it would provide just the ammunition that the stadium owners are looking for .That being " the stadium is surplus to requirements enhancing their desire for planning to build houses." 

Very true point. Bees fans stayed away from Leics to show it wasn't supported being there when they raced in the NDL 

To be honest, it pains me to say but I dont think the brummies will run in 2022, I just don't see 1000 people going, maybe for a couple of weeks it could happen but it will revert to below that over the season, unfortunately the stadium owners are in a business and they want to see profit, I do believe they barely break even for the greyhound racing, speedway is not a sport that really captures the imagination of the younger generation in the city of Birmingham, dare i say it but once the older fans start fading away they won't be replaced, it's a shame but unfortunately it's the way it is, I have said before and will say it again younger generation want stuff like T20 Cricket, Football, even Formula 1, Birmingham is going through a major redevelopment and once that is complete, there will be so much to do for the youngsters, I asked a few of the kids around here about speedway and they had not got a clue what I was on about, the 20 odd years without speedway in Brum destroyed a potential couple of generations getting into it, I hope I am wrong, but I do believe it's going to take a miracle to get Birmingham to the tapes for 2022

Edited by Gerbat1875
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

To be honest, it pains me to say but I dont think the brummies will run in 2022, I just don't see 1000 people going, maybe for a couple of weeks it could happen but it will revert to below that over the season, unfortunately the stadium owners are in a business and they want to see profit, I do believe they barely break even for the greyhound racing, speedway is not a sport that really captures the imagination of the younger generation in the city of Birmingham, dare i say it but once the older fans start fading away they won't be replaced, it's a shame but unfortunately it's the way it is, I have said before and will say it again younger generation want stuff like T20 Cricket, Football, even Formula 1, Birmingham is going through a major redevelopment and once that is complete, there will be so much to do for the youngsters, I asked a few of the kids around here about speedway and they had not got a clue what I was on about, the 20 odd years without speedway in Brum destroyed a potential couple of generations getting into it, I hope I am wrong, but I do believe it's going to take a miracle to get Birmingham to the tapes for 2022

Generally agree with a lot of what you say is correct, however few points i would like to make about ARC yes they are in the business of making profits and they are not concerned wether or not anyone comes through the gate for Greyhound meetings at PB, they primarily make money from televised Greyhound meetings they get a substantial amount of money from each of those meetings, and i do believe the Brummies will come to the Tapes in 2022.

However apart from those 2 points your pretty much spot on especially about fans being replaced "we are all getting older" and when Iv been to PB they generally have a bigger percentage of senior citizens than most other Teams, 1,000 per meeting i cant see it being achieved where are they suddenly going to come from ? after all they havent been there for a few seasons, and if they have Track issues during the first few meetings then its going to be a big big struggle. I wish them luck should they go ahead as im sure most of us do.

Edited by heathen52

Crazy idea?.....

Run all home fixtures as double headers to save on the rent costs? 

2 sets of away fans in as well but obviously amongst many other considerations to take into account will there be enuff time before curfew. Guess u wud av to start at 7pm or 645.

Just now, PirateShip said:

Crazy idea?.....

Run all home fixtures as double headers to save on the rent costs? 

2 sets of away fans in as well but obviously amongst many other considerations to take into account will there be enuff time before curfew. Guess u wud av to start at 7pm or 645.

Not possible as far as I aware.

Birmingham have to run 20 meetings as part of the rent agreement.