British Speedway Forum

Klindt certainly seems to have Foxhall worked out, he’s massively upped his game in past year or two and is always a fast starter - something we’ve missed at Foxhall for years

Would certainly like to see Cam and Jake back along with Nico, If Klindt came would he be at No1or is there room for another three top end riders.

Well certainly not another 3 top end riders no. It’s a certainty that King will return it’s pointless thinking otherwise, so you’re looking at King, Heeps, Allen and probably Klindt as four of the 7. 

That’s where I guess it gets tricky. If NKI is open to doing a full season then although he didn’t pull up any trees in his brief cameo, he’s a quality rider and you’d have to be interested. 

You’d think Lynn would be favourites there though. 

I’m undecided on which way I’d prefer the team to be built, top end strength or strength in depth. People quickly forget that we were top of the league, picking up points in pretty much every meeting home and away, with Chris Harris at 1. That was mainly due to having such strong reserves in Allen and Heeps so it proves that a well balanced side with potent reserves is just as good if not better, than going for top end strength. 

I’m not convinced the changes bringing in Iversen and  (for all his efforts) a poor reserve who was always going to score next to nothing, made the team stronger overall. 

It's a tough one how to build a team, as success can depend how others build theirs. 

What Swindon had after changes was a proper top end, a high scoring middle, and a bottom end that could also score. 

By the looks of it we will have Allen Heeps and King, so we are already limiting top end. Not sure what we would have left if we added niels and klindt to those 3. 

Thing with Swindon is that for most of the season they were inconsistent even with the best rider in the league at number 1 and a strong back up in Batchelor. They spent most of the season below us in the table. 

Wasn’t until they signed Jensen from the championship who suddenly decided to ride like a prime Hans Nielsen, that gave everyone a lift and propelled them upwards

24 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

By the looks of it we will have Allen Heeps and King, so we are already limiting top end. Not sure what we would have left if we added niels and klindt to those 3. 

Especially if there’s ten teams and the limit is 40.

If only we had hindsight, I remember saying we should give jensen a go and get shot of Bellego, shame we didn't.  People were why change a winning team,,,,,,, winning the league, that's why. 

Just now, DC2 said:

Especially if there’s ten teams and the limit is 40.

If that is the case,  then I don't fancy our chances, but fair is fair and the teams coming up deserve a chance at some good riders 

9 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Well certainly not another 3 top end riders no. It’s a certainty that King will return it’s pointless thinking otherwise, so you’re looking at King, Heeps, Allen and probably Klindt as four of the 7. 

That’s where I guess it gets tricky. If NKI is open to doing a full season then although he didn’t pull up any trees in his brief cameo, he’s a quality rider and you’d have to be interested. 

You’d think Lynn would be favourites there though. 

I’m undecided on which way I’d prefer the team to be built, top end strength or strength in depth. People quickly forget that we were top of the league, picking up points in pretty much every meeting home and away, with Chris Harris at 1. That was mainly due to having such strong reserves in Allen and Heeps so it proves that a well balanced side with potent reserves is just as good if not better, than going for top end strength. 

I’m not convinced the changes bringing in Iversen and  (for all his efforts) a poor reserve who was always going to score next to nothing, made the team stronger overall. 

The changes absolutely sealed Ipswich’s place in the top 4 and final. They were in freefall until he was signed. Without him they were highly likely to miss out on the top 4.

Still on a highly attractive average I can’t believe any team wouldn’t want to build a team around him.

Quality number one in a poor strength league.

1 hour ago, stevebrum said:

The changes absolutely sealed Ipswich’s place in the top 4 and final. They were in freefall until he was signed. 

Not so sure, certainly not as cut and dried as you say. 

We’d actually beaten Peterborough the week before the changes with the two replaced contributing 15 paid 18 between them. 

It was a thumping after that at Swindon that prompted the changes. Iversen only then rode in 3 league meetings before the play offs, we lost two of them and beat Swindon at Foxhall to “absolutely seal our play off place” so you’re judging that on just ONE meeting. Granted it was a good victory against Swindon but still. 

Im not saying I disagreed with the changes, that battering at Swindon probably spooked them in to biting the bullet with only a couple of league meetings left and teams rapidly closing in.

Overall, the combined scores of Iversen and Sarjeant in the 7 meetings they rode are

15, 14, 9, 7, 14, 9 and 6. 

Obviously we’ll never know what the combined scores of Piezcszek and Kennett would have been, but generally I’m not totally convinced that the team ended up stronger and I stand by that. 

In the longer term, I’m not particularly keen either to have a reserve who more often that not will be scoring next to nothing. Like I said before, we were topping the table for a large part of the season by having an awful “number 1”, but 2 very good reserves. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Not so sure, certainly not as cut and dried as you say. 

We’d actually beaten Peterborough the week before the changes with the two replaced contributing 15 paid 18 between them. 

It was a thumping after that at Swindon that prompted the changes. Iversen only then rode in 3 league meetings before the play offs, we lost two of them and beat Swindon at Foxhall to “absolutely seal our play off place” so you’re judging that on just ONE meeting. Granted it was a good victory against Swindon but still. 

Im not saying I disagreed with the changes, that battering at Swindon probably spooked them in to biting the bullet with only a couple of league meetings left and teams rapidly closing in.

Overall, the combined scores of Iversen and Sarjeant in the 7 meetings they rode are

15, 14, 9, 7, 14, 9 and 6. 

Obviously we’ll never know what the combined scores of Piezcszek and Kennett would have been, but generally I’m not totally convinced that the team ended up stronger and I stand by that. 

In the longer term, I’m not particularly keen either to have a reserve who more often that not will be scoring next to nothing. Like I said before, we were topping the table for a large part of the season by having an awful “number 1”, but 2 very good reserves. 

Could have been costly tho if you lost that meeting to Swindon so that one meeting seemed a vital one!

Id agree we won’t know what might have happened without the changes however my only take on that is that Ippo seemed out of form going into the play offs which is never a good thing. The Iversen factor may have changed belief and the victory over Poole seems to back that up. But the reality is we don’t know what might have happened without the changes.

I’d personally bring KP back on a 5 point average. I know he was inconsistent but he definitely had his moments. I like him. 

Thought he was unfortunate to be the one to lose his place to bring in Iversen but I guess he was just a victim of the numbers game. 

Difficult to persuade a rider to return who you’ve just “sacked” though I’d imagine so it’s probably a non starter. 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

I’d personally bring KP back on a 5 point average. I know he was inconsistent but he definitely had his moments. I like him. 

Thought he was unfortunate to be the one to lose his place to bring in Iversen but I guess he was just a victim of the numbers game. 

Difficult to persuade a rider to return who you’ve just “sacked” though I’d imagine so it’s probably a non starter. 

Would like to see KP back too, I think he could become a much more consistent top rider in time, if he’s not at Ipswich I’d think someone would want him on his low average