British Speedway Forum

As long as he can get off the start line he will be fine.  He'll change into a 'gate and stay there' type of rider as he is earning to help pay for him being in the UK supporting his son.  Good luck to him, experience is always worth a lot of points for a team and I hope he enjoys it.

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DON'T underestimate what riding alongside Crump, one of the great professionals, will have on the rest of the team.

True.  I remember the immediate impact that Todd Wiltshire - returning after a two-year retirement - had on the Oxford team a month into the 2006 season.  The very first meeting he rode for Cheetahs, there was an improvement and the team started to look more like a team rather than seven individuals.  I recall that we beat Coventry in that meeting and eventually avoided the wooden spoon that we had been odds-on to collect.

Crumpie will make such a difference to the rest of the Ipswich lads.  I’m excited to see how a young Australian such as Jake Allen will progress riding alongside Crumpie.  It will be a fantastic thing for young Drew Kemp as well.

Well I'm pleased to have Crump.  His kept himself fit and I dont think for one min his taking  this likely. 

Why has Crump come back ? is he broke or missing the buzz or both . so sad that at his age he feels the need to do this . Hope he stays clear of crashes and injuries 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Crump is a proud man. If after a couple of meetings he realises he’s nowhere near it then Ipswich won’t even have that decision to make. Crump himself will make it IMO. 

But, you just don’t know. It’s gonna be very interesting to see what level he’s at and I’ll bet all eyes will be on Ipswich’ first fixture. 

Could really do with him riding the Ben fund too. Good practice, decent yardstick of his current ability and would surely boost the coffers hugely which is the name of the game for this meeting. 

All the keyboard warriors on here comparing JC with other riders forget Jason was in a different class, 3 times world champion & a 10 year stint never outside the top 3 in the world. As you say Arch Stanton Jason is a proud man  but also level headed & intelligent. Jason's retirement was down to an arm injury, that now has had time to heal, if he can come back to 80-90% of the former rider then everyone will be happy. If things aren't working out Jason will no doubt pull the plug.

Good on "Young Tiger" for pulling this off, can only be good for U.K. speedway.      

• Like 2

I have worshipped Jason ever since he signed for Belle vue one of the clubs greatest riders.

He will never be the rider he was.All I wish for is that he can hold his own in this league and at the end of the season he can hold his head up high and be proud of what he has achieved at the age of 44.Best of luck Jason

I can't wait to see him ride competitively again sadly I have to wait until the end of June when Ipswich come to the NSS but I hope by then he will have had time to get back into the grove.

PS what a crowed puller he would be if they could sign him up for the Peter Craven meeting fingers crossed.

Edited by B.V 72

33 minutes ago, orion said:

Why has Crump come back ? is he broke or missing the buzz or both . so sad that at his age he feels the need to do this . Hope he stays clear of crashes and injuries 

He says on twitter that he is "scratching an itch".

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

He says on twitter that he is "scratching an itch".

And we still talking speedway ?

38 minutes ago, orion said:

HE will be spending months in the UK supporting his son Seth who is racing in championship events here. He knows that at most he will only ride twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays, Has time to do his own bikes etc and have weekends with Seth while earning a few bob. JC has always loved riding motorbikes and if speedway rather than say Moto-cross satisfies that itch then why not? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, orion said:

And we still talking speedway ?

Preparation H  could be the Panacea

Crump was a gater in his prime.  Not the most exciting .    If he gating reflexes have gone backwards with age then he will probably struggle.   It is good to have him back in UK racing but apart from putting a few bums on seats in the opening few weeks there is little upside.

• Like 1

A 44 year old Crump is well capable of hitting an 8 point average in this League.  It’s not as though he is going to come against anything that is World Class every week.  

Give him a few weeks to get himself up to speed and he will well up the League averages.

Edited by semion

Only problem I see is the assessed average,  quite how they’ve arrived at that figure is beyond me.

From Jason’s perspective I think this is purely about his son. He is over here anyway, so he will have to earn some money. Gives him time to spend with him whilst only riding twice a week.

He has some good sponsorship and in turn will have quality kit. You don’t forget how to ride a motorcycle and as long as he’s fully fit, I expect he will manage at least a 7 point average.

Will take a few meetings to get his sharpness back, gating etc, but once he does he will be absolutely fine in my opinion.

On a personal level it’s great to see him back, my favourite rider. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mark said:

Crump was a gater in his prime.  Not the most exciting .    If he gating reflexes have gone backwards with age then he will probably struggle.   It is good to have him back in UK racing but apart from putting a few bums on seats in the opening few weeks there is little upside.

Little upside?

One of the greatest riders ever is returning to the sport. If he can do well or even only entertain, what’s not to like?

• Like 2