British Speedway Forum

34 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Now that could be a meeting worth travelling to watch :)

Jason won’t see which way Nicki went IMO.Still if Ipswich are stumping up good money to subsidise his Euro jaunt with his son(who is going places in his sport) why turn it down.Good luck to him though.One of the greats of the sport.

5 hours ago, Super Blue said:

Oh well, having had a couple of hours to mull this news over and without wishing to appear too negative I'm afraid I'm totally underwhelmed. 

I am seriously hoping I'm wrong with what I'm about to say and I want to be eating humble pie but here goes. 

A 44 year old long retired 'has been' at No1 , albeit a previous 3 times world champion does not inspire me to believe we will be at all competitive this season. Even he isn't confident of what he's capable of now. 

Although it's great to see Drew signed up as a full Witch I'm not sure he's ready for the top league of British speedway, he struggled in the Championship last season, again I would love to be proved wrong. 

Last year I quite enjoyed the Witches being written off as wooden spooners  by everyone but this year I think I'm going to be agreeing with them. 

My enthusiasm for the coming season is seriously dented. 

Understand your view..

From an Aces perspective, and probably fans of all other clubs, it will be great to see him ride...

However. I understand some Ipswich fans thinking that with over 8 pts worth of average invested they could have got someone 'current'..

A great signing for the sport as a whole I would suggest, and will help Ipswich (at least initially in the first few matches), financially..

Just not so sure it will help then make a challenge for the League given the average and his time out..

Be great to be proved wrong though as it means he will still be box office..

Personally, cant wait to see him ride around the NSS.

His presence will definitely will get me there that night.. 

I think we all hope we are wrong regarding Crump, however I just feel he has been out of the sport way too long. Perhaps the theory is if the other 6 riders give an extra 5 per cent then it may cover for any deficiencies that Crump may have such as fitness and State of mind having been out for so long. And IF this goes wrong then who do we turn to then?

13 minutes ago, TB1 said:

I think we all hope we are wrong regarding Crump, however I just feel he has been out of the sport way too long. Perhaps the theory is if the other 6 riders give an extra 5 per cent then it may cover for any deficiencies that Crump may have such as fitness and State of mind having been out for so long. And IF this goes wrong then who do we turn to then?

Ledwith was out of sport for 25 years!.... and he’s not done too bad,and he’s no Crump! 

• Like 1

Crump was quoted as saying he has been talking to Chris since November, but was probably only second or third choice as with that average he would've fitted in the team with the late Danny Ayres in. Holder was obviously top choice but can't get a visa, very strange. 

What average is Nicki P on as this seems a very strange figure for Crump to come in on. 7.00 - 7.50 would be reasonable as he hasn't ridden for 8 years. Not sure how I feel about this signing as have never like Crump and he really needs to hit the ground running or it will be a season of struggle, not just for him but the whole team. The one good thing is that Klindt won't be at number 1.

Ashtech the engine tuner has just posted a picture of 2 brand new engines ready and waiting for crumpy  I think he will do well personally 

1 hour ago, acef said:

Non. But that’s my point in that it’s a changing dynamic. Jason has come back. Niki is still going. Greg would still be going if not for personal reasons. 

Being fit is the key. If you stay clear of imjury I see no reason why riders can’t go on into their mid forties/fifty.

we will all see what happens very soon.

11 minutes ago, blueherb777 said:

Ledwith was out of sport for 25 years!.... and he’s not done too bad,and he’s no Crump! 

that's NL level not PL level :o

11 minutes ago, Bash said:

Crump was quoted as saying he has been talking to Chris since November, but was probably only second or third choice as with that average he would've fitted in the team with the late Danny Ayres in. Holder was obviously top choice but can't get a visa, very strange. 

What average is Nicki P on as this seems a very strange figure for Crump to come in on. 7.00 - 7.50 would be reasonable as he hasn't ridden for 8 years. Not sure how I feel about this signing as have never like Crump and he really needs to hit the ground running or it will be a season of struggle, not just for him but the whole team. The one good thing is that Klindt won't be at number 1.

until 1st of averages come out :party:

34 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

I hear what you are saying but IMO Greg was aone off at GP level never mind league ,I was shocked when Michael Schumacher made a comeback what a disaster that was and only after a couple of years .Once they stop they are never as good again courage ,concentration you name it just leaves them forever .

I would not want to see him getting 4/5 a match and getting hurt in the proccess ,I really do think this is a bad idea from his image or legacy point of view nothing to prove which makes it worse .

People live longer now, people hit their peak at a later age, 40 being the new 30 isn’t just a saying, there’s a truth to it. 

Was Schumacher’s return to F1 a disaster? He wasn’t winning races and championships but he was still comfortably one of the top 10 drivers in the world from what I remember. Nobody is expecting even that from Crump. 

The fact that there is nothing to prove makes it less of a risk for Crump and for Ipswich IMO. He can go out, enjoy his racing and what will be will be. He had bucketfuls of natural talent and was one of the best in the world for a very long time. That kind of talent stays with you. 

• Like 1

An ex-rider told me that everything is rosy when it is all still second nature. When it isn't, when the thinking starts to pre-dominate then it's time to quit. The latter happens with age and Crumpy is 44. Will certainly be an interesting watch.

Surprised by this despite the rumours. Certainly a gamble from Ipswich but given the clear lack of options for that number 1 spot it's one worth taking and hopefully it pays off.

7 minutes ago, Cupidstunt said:

brilliant news shame its not at my club, the panthers but guess ipswich have a bigger budget.

Or are the bigger muggs.