British Speedway Forum

50 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

that's NL level not PL level :o

PL level?..... hardly what it used to be!

1 hour ago, FAST GATER said:

I hear what you are saying but IMO Greg was aone off at GP level never mind league ,I was shocked when Michael Schumacher made a comeback what a disaster that was and only after a couple of years .Once they stop they are never as good again courage ,concentration you name it just leaves them forever .

I appreciate it isn’t a direct comparison, but Schumacher came back to race at the absolute pinnacle of his sport against drivers who were at the absolute peak of the profession, that’s not the circumstance Crump is coming back to .

Would he (Crump) struggle in the GP most likely yes, in the current league structure? Even if he isn’t the Jason Crump he was he will still be at a level most in the league will never be.

His brain and racing line will see him beat most riders in the league.

6 minutes ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

His brain and racing line will see him beat most riders in the league.

If he gates then maybe. Can’t see him putting his neck on the line going for a gap and risking injury to himself

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sully said:

If he gates then maybe. Can’t see him putting his neck on the line going for a gap and risking injury to himself

Which really puts him in the same bracket as about 90% of riders in the league, it is a pretty exclusive club of riders who race with the intent to injure them self. 

21 minutes ago, blueherb777 said:

PL level?..... hardly what it used to be!

certainly harder than what you are suggesting about ledwith for sure !!

Time will tell for both sides whether this is right or wrong but let’s enjoy the moment. I am old enough to remember another 44 year old Aussie who joined Rayleigh in 1973. Black leathers, old fashioned handlebars but boy could Peter Moore gate and with a style that looked so laid back and he managed an average of 8.30. His equipment was nowhere near the standard of today’s machines but he knew how to ride and was a fine example of someone who had honed his craft as a rider. Crump knows what he is doing. History says we should not write the older rider off, just yet.

• Like 4

At 44 yrs old with a fair few yrs out the sport I would imagine if he accrues a 5.7 - 6 pt average it would be a pretty good achievement

• Like 2

And there`s me thinking that the Nicki Pedersen signing was the biggest of the winter.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

All the keyboard warriors on here comparing JC with other riders forget Jason was in a different class, 3 times world champion & a 10 year stint never outside the top 3 in the world. As you say Arch Stanton Jason is a proud man  but also level headed & intelligent. Jason's retirement was down to an arm injury, that now has had time to heal, if he can come back to 80-90% of the former rider then everyone will be happy. If things aren't working out Jason will no doubt pull the plug.

Good on "Young Tiger" for pulling this off, can only be good for U.K. speedway.      

I can't believe there are negative people on here, This along with Niki P is a massive POSITIVE for the whole of british speedway.........I would like the G.P. TV guys to get Jason on board when & were possible as he is the BEST commentator currently available.    

• Like 1

Certainly the most talked about signing Ipswich have made since Gollob. 

Funny to think they didn't resign John Cook in 97 cause he was too old but younger than crump is now

For the first decade of this century there were four outstanding riders, head and shoulders above the rest, and that included Hancock, who had to wait till they had retired or declined before he came back into prominence. They were Rickardsson, Pedersen, Gollob and Crump, with Crump probably second best of that lot.

Yes, Crump has been out of the sport for a longish time, but he was in a different league to all but about three or four current PL riders. I can't see him being anything other than a major asset for Ipswich. Good on you, Chris, for signing up one of the all-time greats of speedway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, geoff58 said:

i await your reply :rofl:  should i say told you so :party:

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day :D

• Like 1

:unsure:

Edited by geoff58

5 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day :D

it could be chris holder in his Aussie kevlars :nono:

Jason Crump is a person who will throw everything in to his racing

there is no such thing as half hearted in his vocabulary... he may need a little time to settle back in.

he was a delight to have in the team when he rode for the aces

• Like 2