British Speedway Forum

30 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

So what colours do we think race suits will be? 

I thought last years was good,,, bikes as well. I did hear and see a fair few saying they couldn't tell who is who under the not so bright lights. 

Hopefully very similar to last years, far and away the smartest I've seen tbh, possibly a bit of pink included this year :unsure:

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Badge said:

Hopefully very similar to last years, far and away the smartest I've seen tbh, possibly a bit of pink included this year :unsure:

Agree with that - perhaps it's too late to incorporate it into the main design but pink gloves are available. An easy and inexpensive alternative which would make the same point

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Great idea,,,, Troy Lee do a nice pair of pink gloves,,, only 20 ish quid

I'm sure the MASSIF would start by sponsoring Jake's as our rider of the the year for 2019

• Like 1

We'll the offer has been sent to Jake , and I've also messaged to club about it as well .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

I thought last years was good,,, bikes as well. I did hear and see a fair few saying they couldn't tell who is who under the not so bright lights. 

Thought last years suits were very good, never understand people moaning they can’t tell who’s who - they tell you before the race who’s in it, as does the program and they were different colour helmets to differentiate :blink:

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

Thought last years suits were very good, never understand people moaning they can’t tell who’s who - they tell you before the race who’s in it, as does the program and they were different colour helmets to differentiate :blink:

And have different numbers on there backs,,,, and normally different styles. Think it's mainly the older fans,,   back in the so and so years and all that.   And does it matter who is in first and second,,, they both represent your team. 

• Like 4

In terms of rider numbers it probably would help several if they were a little larger. I also concede that under lights helmet colours can be a bit tricky to pick out (especially when faded/stained and this should be stamped out on its white no grey/blue tint). Maybe the away side should have yellow and black quarters and black and white stripes?

As for the pink troy lee gloves i hope they have plenty of stock in......beautiful idea 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Dump them and let the riders have their own race suits and pay for them/advertise with them.  I know I'm seemingly in a minority here but I'm perfectly capable of telling apart the riders from each team without them having to be in clone suits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Dump them and let the riders have their own race suits and pay for them/advertise with them.  I know I'm seemingly in a minority here but I'm perfectly capable of telling apart the riders from each team without them having to be in clone suits.

Do you not think matching suits and bike covers look much, much more professional than a collection of waifs and strays in random colours? Race jackets worked in the eighties but this is a completely different era with tv coverage and team sponsors, social media etc. Teams and riders need to look as professional as possible. There is a reason that pretty much all other team sports have matching team wear for all team members. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 8

55 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Do you not think matching suits and bike covers look much, much more professional than a collection of waifs and strays in random colours? Race jackets worked in the eighties but this is a completely different era with tv coverage and team sponsors, social media etc. Teams and riders need to look as professional as possible. There is a reason that pretty much all other team sports have matching team wear for all team members. 

No, I don't.  And I also remember some fantastic race suits some of the riders wore, looking very professional in the coordination with their machinery etc.  Of course I'm not stupid and understand the points you've made except I don't agree on the need for team suits.

TV coverage of course in the 70s/80s was less frequent but did air on shows such as World Of Sport, watched by millions rather than the tens of thousands who tune into the BT Sport coverage.  Additionally, in those days it wasn't just teams that were sponsored, the whole league was!

We could go further down the clone track of course, have the same helmets and ditch helmet colours because they no longer serve any purpose either because it's easy to see who's on each team - except for the new signings, guests etc. :)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

No, I don't.  And I also remember some fantastic race suits some of the riders wore, looking very professional in the coordination with their machinery etc.  Of course I'm not stupid and understand the points you've made except I don't agree on the need for team suits.

TV coverage of course in the 70s/80s was less frequent but did air on shows such as World Of Sport, watched by millions rather than the tens of thousands who tune into the BT Sport coverage.  Additionally, in those days it wasn't just teams that were sponsored, the whole league was!

We could go further down the clone track of course, have the same helmets and ditch helmet colours because they no longer serve any purpose either because it's easy to see who's on each team - except for the new signings, guests etc. :)

Of course they look more professional.  Its a TEAM sport and the matching kit aligns with a TEAM of riders rather than a collection of individuals (Poole Pirates last season is a good example of the latter).  Whether you like it or not is a different question.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Of course they look more professional.  Its a TEAM sport and the matching kit aligns with a TEAM of riders rather than a collection of individuals (Poole Pirates last season is a good example of the latter).  Whether you like it or not is a different question.

We disagree then.  We could talk about the definition of what it means to look 'professional' of course but that may get really tedious.  Any rider who is licensed and paid for riding speedway is a professional.  How they look is simply a matter of preference.  Oh, and a TEAM is a collection of INDIVIDUALS (see, I can patronise as well ;)

15 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I'm sure the MASSIF would start by sponsoring Jake's as our rider of the the year for 2019

15 hours ago, Pob said:

We'll the offer has been sent to Jake , and I've also messaged to club about it as well .

Got a message back from Jake this morning , he's on board with the idea.  

• Like 5