British Speedway Forum

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Definitely noticeable to me Baldy. The official Twitter often tweet that view from the start line pre meetings and as a bit of a sad anorak I often zoom in to look at track conditions. Unless the camera is giving a false view there’s more there than I was expecting! Surprised you don’t really see it. 

I was only zooming in on inner curb,,, as that would have to be dug down to create more banking,,, and from that angle it doesn't look any further dug down or that the curb stones have been moved.  

I'm sure I'm wrong though,, Bob comes on here and will put me right I'm sure. 

What a race this was between Heeps and Max Fricke. Had everything including a big elbow from Fricke down the back straight of the final lap. Box office around Foxhall is Heeps, out and out racer. If you look on the official website in the media clips section, pretty much all of the uploads of the best moments involve Heeps, which is why he should be one of the first names on the team sheet. 

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 4

Hope to see more of that soon. Interesting thing is that nearly half that clip is the messing about and "gardening" at the start.

• Like 1

Yes, that is they whole point of speedwat RACING, all four riders were genuinely interested in scoring points and were fully prepared to give it a go! IF 50% of speedway races were like this ( rather than 10 -15 % ) the crowds would be there on the terraces. includng clubs being able to attract new fans!

11 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

IF 50% of speedway races were like this ( rather than 10 -15 % ) the crowds would be there on the terraces. includng clubs being able to attract new fans!

Sadly, they wouldn't. 

Belle Vue sees racing like this (and much better than this), every week on the best track in the UK but the crowds are not returning to the terraces in any significant numbers.

1 hour ago, keepturningleft said:

Sadly, they wouldn't. 

Belle Vue sees racing like this (and much better than this), every week on the best track in the UK but the crowds are not returning to the terraces in any significant numbers.

Suggest there would be significantly more watching at the NSS if they ran at weekends...

400 to 500 a week more I would think when you compare what crowds they were getting on the odd Fridays and Saturdays that they ran on in their first year..

400 extra at 20 times a season would be an extra 8000 punters...

At circa £20 a go that's £160k more in the coffers... 

400 punters per week extra is, in the grand scheme of things, hardly any number, yet it would make a world of difference to some clubs..

Maybe a few weekends could be incorporated into any restructured fixture list?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

Sadly, they wouldn't. 

There you have it. If this is correct then over the next five years UK speedway will not survive. No sizeable public interest or support equals no UK speedway ( as we know it ). 

11 hours ago, mikebv said:

Suggest there would be significantly more watching at the NSS if they ran at weekends...

400 to 500 a week more I would think when you compare what crowds they were getting on the odd Fridays and Saturdays that they ran on in their first year..

400 extra at 20 times a season would be an extra 8000 punters...

At circa £20 a go that's £160k more in the coffers... 

400 punters per week extra is, in the grand scheme of things, hardly any number, yet it would make a world of difference to some clubs..

Maybe a few weekends could be incorporated into any restructured fixture list?

But who would they be watching?

Let's assume that Poland will be staging speedway every weekend in an effort to squeeze in as many meetings as possible. So  Kurtz, Lidsey and possibly Kildemand and Bewley will want to be in Poland

On 3/18/2020 at 9:42 PM, Arch Stanton said:

Definitely noticeable to me Baldy. The official Twitter often tweet that view from the start line pre meetings and as a bit of a sad anorak I often zoom in to look at track conditions. Unless the camera is giving a false view there’s more there than I was expecting! Surprised you don’t really see it. 

I never noticed any change when I last looked - about 10 days ago - track next to kerb looked no lower but in any case, what will count is if the inside/outside lines both offer something to those capable of using them.

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

There you have it. If this is correct then over the next five years UK speedway will not survive. No sizeable public interest or support equals no UK speedway ( as we know it ). 

Gaining crowds, as I've said before on numerous occasions is not about the quality of the racing but the experience for the fan.  Good conditions to be in, things to do, social activities, interaction, different things for children, concurrent events such as birthday parties etc.  The masses won't come to watch fantastic racing on a freezing cold damp evening in a field.  Marketing a great experience is what will attract.  Some other sports/events are as dull as a tuber but get good attendances.

20 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Still look at my Thunder Crump No 1 keyring on my keybunch from 1999 and think he still looked better as a Panther hope you get the chance to enjoy the Thunder From Down Under at sometime.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, arnieg said:

But who would they be watching?

Let's assume that Poland will be staging speedway every weekend in an effort to squeeze in as many meetings as possible. So  Kurtz, Lidsey and possibly Kildemand and Bewley will want to be in Poland

Didn't Leicester increase their fan base by dropping down and losing Jason Doyle?

They did it by simply riding on a Saturday rather than a Monday or a Wednesday or a Thursday as it was then...

People's leisure time is traditionally weekend, therefore run when most people can watch you..

Let's be honest who cares who wins most speedway meetings given the way many teams end up as the season goes by as made up adhoc septets, so just run it by selling the entertainment you can get by watching four riders of similar skills racing against each other on nights most punters can get there...

I would suggest the Aces for example would get 400 more at least on a Saturday to watch BV v Wolves with three or four guests on show than two full teams on a Thursday night...

Each club will have its traditional 'best night' to run..

So just run then..

• Thanks 1

Personally I hate it when Ipswich run meetings on a Saturday as I get grief from the mrs, there’s always some other social event speedway will clash with on a Saturday night whereas I have very little problems on a Thursday evening!

I appreciate on the wider scale running on weekends rather than a school night would likely open up to more people likely to go but I can’t see I’d be the only regular at a weeknight team that would miss more meetings should it switch to a weekend!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 89buttons said:

Personally I hate it when Ipswich run meetings on a Saturday as I get grief from the mrs, there’s always some other social event speedway will clash with on a Saturday night whereas I have very little problems on a Thursday evening!

I appreciate on the wider scale running on weekends rather than a school night would likely open up to more people likely to go but I can’t see I’d be the only regular at a weeknight team that would miss more meetings should it switch to a weekend!

From a business point of view (if that isnt a bit crass in the current situation) the question wouldnt care a lot for those in your position (no offence intended :))

Say the midweek attendance is 1000 of which 500 couldnt/wouldnt go at weekends but a Saturday meeting gets 1500 due to attracting 1000 newbies I cant see any tears for the 500....