British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Blupanther said:

Who was there ? 

Just  realised that the info here is wrong - JL wasn't in heat 1 that day, that's heat 3, which Thomas won.

28 minutes ago, Shrub said:

Just  realised that the info here is wrong - JL wasn't in heat 1 that day, that's heat 3, which Thomas won.

Correct, Billy won heat one...

Ht 01: Sanders, Jansson, Davey, Ethridge (f), Levai (ex tapes), Sage (ex tapes)

Ht 02: Sanders, Wright, Reeves, Davey (ex tapes)

Ht 03: Thomas, Louis, Bellham, Kennett

2 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

Correct, Billy won heat one...

Ht 01: Sanders, Jansson, Davey, Ethridge (f), Levai (ex tapes), Sage (ex tapes)

Ht 02: Sanders, Wright, Reeves, Davey (ex tapes)

Ht 03: Thomas, Louis, Bellham, Kennett

Best not to go over the events of heat 4....

21 minutes ago, Shrub said:

Best not to go over the events of heat 4....

That's why i stopped  :neutral:

2 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

That's why i stopped  :neutral:

Now you have us all in suspense over what happened in heat four!

How about the polite and impartial version, if such a thing ever exists in sport.

16 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

How about the polite and impartial version, if such a thing ever exists in sport.

Heat 4 was Tony Davey's freak accident, a 'routine' coming together on the first bend with Hackney's Roger Wright, Shrimp's hand got caught in his back wheel and lost half his fingers and thumb. Who knows how good Shrimp would have been without this accident?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Shrub explained it perfectly, it soured the day to be honest after we found out the extent of Shrimps injury ...

12 minutes ago, Shrub said:

Heat 4 was Tony Davey's freak accident, a 'routine' coming together on the first bend with Hackney's Roger Wright, Shrimp's hand got caught in his back wheel and lost half his fingers and thumb. Who knows how good Shrimp would have been without this accident?

Thank you for that information. Very sad whenever a rider get hurt.

Good grief, I was there, it was my first ever meeting. I didn't realise till the events of heat 4 were mentioned. Specific details are very vague when you are 11 years old but Shrimps accident brought it all back. 

I was there with my dad.

Although I was young, I do have a vague recollection of the Davey incident.

It just shows sadly how Speedway has fallen in popularity over the years, those were definitely 'the good old days' to quote a much used expression. 

56 minutes ago, Super Blue said:

It just shows sadly how Speedway has fallen in popularity over the years, those were definitely 'the good old days' to quote a much used expression. 

To be fair, football had an ever dwindling fan base through the 80's and it needed laws about stadium improvements, and Sky's money,  to deliver what we have today..

And football was very lucky that Sky's intervention coincided with Man United ending their 26 year wait for the league title in 93, and subsequent 20 odd year domination which delivered huge interest..

If the first winners of the Premier Leagues early years had been 'lesser teams' then football wouldn't have taken off the way it did in the UK as Sky simply wouldn't have had the uptake of subscribers. 

Speedway considering it's complete lack of awareness within the wide majority of the public, and the almost zero nationally joined up marketing, does 'ok' for me crowd wise..

Being a young Hackney fan I was there on back straight. I went to Foxhall many times with the Hawks and this the only time I saw them win there. 

9 hours ago, Goldhawk said:

Being a young Hackney fan I was there on back straight. I went to Foxhall many times with the Hawks and this the only time I saw them win there. 

Always enjoyed a trip to Waterton Rd when the Panthers were getting a thrashing there, good banter if a bit heated at times especially with pretty boy Galvin in mind, thinking what a rip off £10 entrance £1 for a packet of crisps, wasn't the same when the place returned as London although a Crump inspired Tsubaki Chain Panthers won there. 

Poor Sam Fox got some real stick at a BSPA meeting there think it was Glasgow fans singing to her about getting something out for the lads as she walked along the home straight then stood next to me and said hello before walking onto the track in her high heels 

Make it a date Friday at 8

Edited by scoobydoo