British Speedway Forum

14 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I really don't understand why people have such a problem with doubling up. 

Exactly, riders have the right to earn a living, especially after last year...

14 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I can because the whole thing has got way out of hand, however for 2021 there would be nowhere near enough riders to fill eighteen teams without most of the riders who are able to race here doing so in both leagues. So until the world sorts itself out again and Poland relaxes its rules and regs (which may not happen anyway) it’s here to stay. 

7 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I can because the whole thing has got way out of hand, however for 2021 there would be nowhere near enough riders to fill eighteen teams without most of the riders who are able to race here doing so in both leagues. So until the world sorts itself out again and Poland relaxes its rules and regs (which may not happen anyway) it’s here to stay. 

But why is it "why out of hand"? 

With no clashes in fixtures anymore what the difference in a rider doing Ipswich & Plymouth than a rider doing Ipswich & Wroclaw for example? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

But why is it "why out of hand"? 

With no clashes in fixtures anymore what the difference in a rider doing Ipswich & Plymouth than a rider doing Ipswich & Wroclaw for example? 

It’s a fair point. Fixed race nights have made a big difference. Originally it was just for British riders at reserve and ideally I would restrict it to Brits but I think it’s got to a point now where phasing it out / down would take many years. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 11:02 AM, Daniel Smith said:

Fully agree, plus as already previously stated there aren’t enough riders to fill all teams. 

Edited by stevebrum
Wrong word edit
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's the credibility issue for me. In a supposed professional elite sport you have a rider who can be contracted to two different teams in the same country. Then by the time you add in the guest regulations its possible that one rider could ride for every professional club across the two divisions in one season. 

I guess it bugs me because I still have the hope of the sport growing and getting the support and attention it deserves. While things like this go on its very difficult to see that ever happening. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

I’ve said this many a time - it was a huge problem before the fixed race nights and riders missing matches left right and centre but problem was solved by the introduction of that. Aslong as riders attend every meeting (other than for injury) then it shouldn’t be an issue for any fans really.

I always like the idea of a relegation play off at the end of the year, but understand that doubling up is just one of the reasons that can’t happen.

Now, the guest facility.... that is a real problem!

Edited by Najjer
  • Like 2

Some say guests are a 'necessary evil'...

They are not, it's simply become the 'easy, lazy way out' rather than try and not use them..

A fit for purpose rider replacement facility would eradicate many of the needs for guests, as would a fixture list that doesn't plan meetings in whereby you already know you need them to complete either, or both, teams..

Doubling up/down is though a 'necessary evil'....

There are simply not enough riders to go round and, if no doubling up/down, not enough meetings for riders to make enough money to justify their outlay to ride...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

They are not, it's simply become the 'easy, lazy way out' rather than try and not use them..

A fit for purpose rider replacement facility would eradicate many of the needs for guests, as would a fixture list that doesn't plan meetings in whereby you already know you need them to complete either, or both, teams..

There are simply not enough riders to go round and, if no doubling up/down, not enough meetings for riders to make enough money to justify their outlay to ride...

The thing is, many many fans keep saying about getting rid of guests but can never come up with a viable alternative themselves. So, that means there's nothing wrong with the guest system due to the make up of our sport.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

I quite agree - guests should be an absolute last choice if there is numerous riders out injured within a team. They should never be able to be a first port of call. Rider replacement should always cover a missing rider in the 1-5 in my opinion.

Especially now with the new ‘rising star scheme’, teams should be replacing reserves in the top tier with riders who don’t have a top tier side and can only use riders within the scheme from the second tier or riders without a team. Likewise in the second tier, they should be using riders who aren’t assigned to a team within the top two tiers. That way it gives riders who aren’t currently in a side to effectively form “a youth pool” and get a chance to showcase themselves and earn a team spot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

The thing is, many many fans keep saying about getting rid of guests but can never come up with a viable alternative themselves. So, that means there's nothing wrong with the guest system due to the make up of our sport.

See my above post - ideally we would run squads like in Poland and then eliminating any need for guest riders. However, we are struggling to fill 7 rider teams let alone 10 or more so that isn’t an option.

Rider replacement should be the first option for a missing rider and then rider replacement and a guest for when 2 riders are missing. Reserves should be replaced with other rising star scheme riders as I’ve explained in the previous post.

10 minutes ago, Najjer said:

See my above post - ideally we would run squads like in Poland and then eliminating any need for guest riders. However, we are struggling to fill 7 rider teams let alone 10 or more so that isn’t an option.

Rider replacement should be the first option for a missing rider and then rider replacement and a guest for when 2 riders are missing. Reserves should be replaced with other rising star scheme riders as I’ve explained in the previous post.

So still no viable alternative other than guests then? Even if you use 'rising stars' he could still appear for Ipswich on Monday & against them on Thursday. 

The current set up means that PL teams have 10 home and 10 away meetings while CL teams have 11 home and 11 away meetings if they run home and away twice in the PL with just home and away once in the CL. So a rider who is racing in both leagues gets 42 meetings assuming they race at every meeting for both their teams plus any playoffs. If all 18 teams were in one big league this would give 34 meetings with home and away once. If the big league was split into three areas (North/Midlands/South) then they could race their local teams a second time, Home and away which gives another 10 meetings which increases the number of meetings for riders to 44 with each track having 22 home meetings plus any playoffs. The problem is the number of riders that are needed to fill the teams which would probably mean six man teams at best and in the short term even five man teams. This however could encourage riders to ride in this country as they would get 5 or 6 races at every meeting with the chance to earn more at each meeting plus a couple of extra meetings over the season. 

For spectators it would mean more home meetings with more local derbies and more teams to watch over the season if they only go to their home track. If every team had to have at one under 21 British rider and one under 25 British rider with no other rules on who they were it would give the top NDL riders a chance to progress. As an extra incentive to promotions to run NDL teams a rule that for team building purposes any rider moving into the top league from the same tracks NDL team would be assessed at 2 while those from other NDL teams would be assessed 3. Also any rider racing for the same team in two years would be given a 5% reduction for team building. This would encourage teams to keep teams together which means that fans don't see all their favourites vanish off to other teams.

34 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

So still no viable alternative other than guests then? Even if you use 'rising stars' he could still appear for Ipswich on Monday & against them on Thursday. 

As per my previous post, until there is enough riders and money to run squads, then no there isn’t an alternative - however, that doesn’t stop the current situation being improved and guests  from other teams being limited.

3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

I read Najjer’s post as using other rising star scheme riders who are on the list but don’t ride for another team in that league. 

Agree also it should be R/R unless two riders are absent. We HAVE to get rid of riders appearing for more than one team as much as is possible. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1