British Speedway Forum

25 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I'm just glad to see the racing back, given the awful 18 months we've been through and am prepared to cut them some slack as they're under some strain at present with restrictions and rider availability. Glass half full for me, not half empty. 

I wish my glass was only half empty - right now I'm swilling the dregs ready to rinse and put away in the cupboard.....

11 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Chin up. I just go to see some close matches or decent racing or incidents (not crashes) and am not so concerned by the scores/who wins. Things don't always go the way you might want but that's life, we walk on. 

While that may work for you,,, it doesn't for everyone.

I must admit,, of all the people I know that still go to speedway, it's a shock reading it from taps. I go through the same emotions,,, I know exactly how you are feeling,,, but like me,,im sure we will both be there at the start of next season with fresh hope. 

13 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Although Ellis wasn't a rider averaging 3 points more than the one he was replacing which was the effective position with Rowe for Bates

This is just the straw that breaks the camels back - in itself its an almost nothing situation

The sport just stumbles from one BS decision to another with no transparency and little consistency and constant self interest gerrymandering 

A new 5 year plan is instigated (poorly) every year - has one even made a 2nd season yet??

Perhaps I've just fallen out of love with the sport and after 18 months away am just realising I didn't really miss it as I thought I would 

I've not been entertained by the on track offering and have lost much of the feeling that there is any connection with those in my teams colours

I'm certainly on the cusp of being in the 'ex speedway fan' category at this time

As I raised on the thread it’s bloody ridiculous that a rider who wasn’t selected as a RS by Ipswich ( I accept he is on the list) was then allowed to guest for a rising star (who in all probability shouldn’t have been) when he had an official MA which was above both the RS he was replacing and another rider in the teams 1-5.

Its this skewed rule bending where one rule says he can do it and another says he cannot that infuriates me and our authorities allow it to happen. The SCB official should have said no and that’s the end of it.

As has been said not only that but it further shafts his own team Ipswich who are now struggling to catch Sheffield to make the play offs.

Some could argue that it’s swings and roundabouts especially after the last episode which allowed Cook & Starke to sign for Ipswich in the recent declaration as Cooks July GSA was ignored in favour of his June figure. But personally I like to see things done properly and without the underhand tactics this sport of ours is continually blighted by.

Rowe’s guest bookings going forward are surely going to be busy now as he undoubtedly will replace Bates, Brennan and Mountain as regularly as his other team commitments allow, with the aforementioned trio likely to be unluckily smitten with various injuries and illnesses as and when the situation arises.

I dare say the BSPL PR manager will surely come on to say it’s perfectly within the rules as they are written but when the rule book throws up anomalies like this it should be sorted and quickly by the SCB.

I think going forward it would be a good idea if the BSP suggests rule changes to the SCB that they want, but these are then written by an SCB official not connected with any club.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

As I raised on the thread it’s bloody ridiculous that a rider who wasn’t selected as a RS by Ipswich ( I accept he is on the list) was then allowed to guest for a rising star (who in all probability shouldn’t have been) when he had an official MA which was above both the RS he was replacing and another rider in the teams 1-5.

Its this skewed rule bending where one rule says he can do it and another says he cannot that infuriates me and our authorities allow it to happen. The SCB official should have said no and that’s the end of it.

As has been said not only that but it further shafts his own team Ipswich who are now struggling to catch Sheffield to make the play offs.

Some could argue that it’s swings and roundabouts especially after the last episode which allowed Cook & Starke to sign for Ipswich in the recent declaration as Cooks July GSA was ignored in favour of his June figure. But personally I like to see things done properly and without the underhand tactics this sport of ours is continually blighted by.

Rowe’s guest bookings going forward are surely going to be busy now as he undoubtedly will replace Bates, Brennan and Mountain as regularly as his other team commitments allow, with the aforementioned trio likely to be unluckily smitten with various injuries and illnesses as and when the situation arises.

I dare say the BSPL PR manager will surely come on to say it’s perfectly within the rules as they are written but when the rule book throws up anomalies like this it should be sorted and quickly by the SCB.

I think going forward it would be a good idea if the BSP suggests rule changes to the SCB that they want, but these are then written by an SCB official not connected with any club.

Who do you think writes the rules ?

The SCB are powerless and merely ‘ ratify ‘ rules as and when Godfrey tells them too, that’s why he’s on their committee !

The current ‘ rule book ‘ is in his head and the answer to whatever depends on who’s asking . See stated case Redcar v Glasgow 2017 not completed prior to heat 10’s conclusion judged against Birmingham v Redcar 2021 , not completed prior to heat 10’s conclusion….ridiculous!

8 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Thus bringing the sport in the UK both Credibility AND Integrity?

Hmmm.. 

Interesting concept.. 

However. .

Maybe we should just try and get regular manned flights to Mars first before we attempt this type of thing...:D

46 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Who do you think writes the rules ?

The SCB are powerless and merely ‘ ratify ‘ rules as and when Godfrey tells them too, that’s why he’s on their committee !

The current ‘ rule book ‘ is in his head and the answer to whatever depends on who’s asking . See stated case Redcar v Glasgow 2017 not completed prior to heat 10’s conclusion judged against Birmingham v Redcar 2021 , not completed prior to heat 10’s conclusion….ridiculous!

The 2020 rulebook was revised by the SCB Chairman and others, proposed changes and ideas come from the BSPL via their directors.

The SCB are not powerless although some parts of ratify undoubtedly happens.

I wouldn’t argue with your third point in principle apart from the rulebook is in his head.

• Haha 1

So Crump was going to ride for Plymouth last night,,, but we have a guest on Monday for him.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Any scheme to help youngsters "get on" will always feel skewed because there will always be some of them "get on" more successfully than others, it's been happening in  Poland for years! I still think it would work to not include their scores in team totals, they could even give the one who scores the most a bonus each meeting or have a points championship between the guys (I guess the stats will be gathered anyway). I looked through the scores of our last meeting which finished 36-54, if none of the RS points were added it would've been 34-49.  The score from when we won at Ipswich would've been 42-45 instead of 44-46.

5 hours ago, Trees said:

Any scheme to help youngsters "get on" will always feel skewed because there will always be some of them "get on" more successfully than others, it's been happening in  Poland for years! I still think it would work to not include their scores in team totals, they could even give the one who scores the most a bonus each meeting or have a points championship between the guys (I guess the stats will be gathered anyway). I looked through the scores of our last meeting which finished 36-54, if none of the RS points were added it would've been 34-49.  The score from when we won at Ipswich would've been 42-45 instead of 44-46.

If you are going to that you may as well just have some separate demonstration races for them instead of including them in the team

Bonkers idea so likely to be under serious consideration over the winter.....

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 12:12 PM, mikebv said:

Thus bringing the sport in the UK both Credibility AND Integrity?

This will be an interesting topic for discussion / dispute when UK domestic speedway leagues no longer exist, around 2027

Personally, I think he peaked in 2019,,,if you also look back through his career,, just when you think he has made a break through, the following year has seen a dip.   His gating is extremely poor,, and even in the Championship he is against the best the Prem has to offer,, that alone would see his scoring drop. If his average drops,, he will be back in the witches colours next season no doubt. 

Edited by Baldyman

He’s never been this bad though Baldy, even in his poorer seasons! He’s never been particularly great away from Foxhall, but as Hawkins rightly pointed out, Heeps has been a superb home rider and so entertaining as well. 

Something just isn’t right with him. For one of the golfing “clique” to get the bullet, the Ipswich promotion must know it too. 

He’s a good lad is Cam, so I hope it’s just a crisis of confidence? Maybe the enforced break due to the pandemic has affected him more than most

Dont think he is fit - shoulder injuries need time to heal - trying to ride on will not improve things and cause a loss of  confidence. Riding tiht racks like Central Park won't help.

Latest Lynn news suggests he is taking two weeks out to help his shoulder heal