British Speedway Forum

Sad to here this and wish Craig all the best got the future. He hasn’t been as good this season and if he’s not totally focussed the last place to be is on speedway bike. As others have said mental illness is invisible and often hidden. 

Edited by comet49

On 8/29/2021 at 2:07 PM, screm said:

Craig Cook makes his racing return next week.

Listed for Thursday against P'boro -- but only if cleared to race by SCB.       

On 8/26/2021 at 2:16 PM, Rob B said:

When does Crump get new average, after tonight?

New average 5.56 according to the Witches preview for Thursdays meeting against Peterborough. I was against him returning as a Witch next year,  but if he wishes to do another season I’d include him on that average. He was absolutely dreadful for a while when he returned clearly not fit after breaking 8 ribs at Wolves, but he was pretty decent before that injury, and also been ok in the last few meetings after regaining fitness. 

That middle part of the season has had an obvious effect on his average, and 5.56 is tempting for next year..

On 8/29/2021 at 2:07 PM, screm said:

Craig Cook makes his racing return next week.

How long for ?

• Haha 1

I have every sympathy for Cook's mental issues - my brother went through something very similar and recovered almost fully with professional help over several months.

But hasn't Craig only been off for the past week? I find it difficult to understand how he has recovered in such a short time, unless severely medicated - which might pose a different problem for the authorities if he is allowed to restart racing?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

I have every sympathy for Cook's mental issues - my brother went through something very similar and recovered almost fully with professional help over several months.

But hasn't Craig only been off for the past week? I find it difficult to understand how he has recovered in such a short time, unless severely medicated - which might pose a different problem for the authorities if he is allowed to restart racing?!

Cookie said it was family problems so they must have been sorted .....

So according to a Craig Cook tweet,,,he had family issues,,, not mental health issues. Bit silly of Ipswich putting out statements that are not true.  Or was that the only way of getting a facility? Very strange indeed 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

So according to a Craig Cook tweet,,,he had family issues,,, not mental health issues. Bit silly of Ipswich putting out statements that are not true.  Or was that the only way of getting a facility? Very strange indeed 

Unfortunately, the "mental health card" has become the new "race card". It will invariably be abused and ruin it for those genuine cases. No one is allowed to question it, end of. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

New average 5.56 according to the Witches preview for Thursdays meeting against Peterborough. I was against him returning as a Witch next year,  but if he wishes to do another season I’d include him on that average. He was absolutely dreadful for a while when he returned clearly not fit after breaking 8 ribs at Wolves, but he was pretty decent before that injury, and also been ok in the last few meetings after regaining fitness. 

That middle part of the season has had an obvious effect on his average, and 5.56 is tempting for next year..

well there’s ipswichs problem there a 5.56 true average for our number1 , put way way to much pressure on our young riders like Rowe ,Allen and Kemp… he may have been a 3 time world champion but far from it now 

51 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Bottom line is Cook withheld his services for whatever reason and clearly Ipswich reported that and rightly got a facility.

The upshot of that is Riders are then given generally a 7 day suspension or longer depending on circumstances, as the Ipswich press release says his return is subject to SCB approval.

A lot of the problem is clubs don’t properly explain riders absences, Pedersen and Palin are missing for the Panthers, nothings been said explaining why, either by Peterborough Plymouth or Scunthorpe.

Its doesn’t help but fuel suspicion and rumour on the internet.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, wtf said:

Unfortunately, the "mental health card" has become the new "race card". It will invariably be abused and ruin it for those genuine cases. No one is allowed to question it, end of. 

Who was in the wrong here, not Cookie by the looks of it!