British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Warsaw GP 2022 Saturday May 14th

Logically I got to think Smolinski would be the next in line for a wild card, that’s why he is no 1 in the official 2020 GP substitute list drawn up by the same as pick the wild cards I presume.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Logically I got to think Smolinski would be the next in line for a wild card, that’s why he is no 1 in the official 2020 GP substitute list drawn up by the same as pick the wild cards I presume.

Above the Euro champion.  No chance.      There is no logic to wildcards, how can anyone explain Lindback bar his Swedish passport

Edited by Mark

27 minutes ago, Mark said:

Above the Euro champion.  No chance.      There is no logic to wildcards, how can anyone explain Lindback bar his Swedish passport

So you kickin against the current system, that’s ok. I was looking within the current system cause that’s what exists.

21 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

So you kickin against the current system, that’s ok. I was looking within the current system cause that’s what exists.

The system has been shown to be flawed.  Smolinski rides, is anyone excited about that ? 

I hope no one is suggesting that Greg accepted his wildcard and at the same time had no intention of taking up the place. He was invited into the championship for many reasons, not just his record. He would have surely added to the series and could well have qualified for the 2021 series by right (I have/had a bet on him making the top 3 this year; 22 to 1 will do that to a man). 

Edited by False dawn

9 hours ago, Mark said:

There is no logic to wildcards, how can anyone explain Lindback bar his Swedish passport

There is no need to explain it any further. Thats the reason he's in.

• Like 1

If Smolinski can be close to the pace consistency,he very much has the potential to fill the Nicki Pederson void. On paper not an exciting addition but certainly has the potential to cause some excitement on his day.

Moving forward I would like to see an early season open to determine the last gp spot for that season. Gives somebody coming into form a bit of a chance. It would give 16 riders a massive early season meeting to prepare for and if marketed well and at a sensible venue could be instant massive crowd puller.

6 months off a bike means riders form can massively change from season to season, which I ve always felt some of the GP spots should be decided in the early season of the  current gp year.

Hi Teaboy,  the problem I can see with having an early season qualifier for a GP spot is getting sponsorship for a whole GP season at such a late stage.  It takes months of planning to arrange/secure major sponsorships, plus a rider with serious intent will probably want to spend winter months for a gruelling GP season on top of riding in 2+or 3 countries every week. What is going to happen is the rider everyone is hoping would liven up a GP season is at a big disadvantage due to lack of funds etc and likely to be like a damp firework.

22 hours ago, Mark said:

The system has been shown to be flawed.  Smolinski rides, is anyone excited about that ? 

The system was shown to be flawed when Gollob backed out and Harris took his place. Nobody was excited by that either, but nothing was done to rectify the problem. If my memory is correct

None near, stadium a bit on its own, nowry strad, main Street with bars and restaurants about 20 minutes walk, then old town another 10 minutes or so further on

On 2/18/2020 at 7:51 AM, r77toy said:

Good restaurants near the stadium?

The exit towards the other end of the bridge leads to a small square with one street exiting towards the river. The square itself has places to get food, this street has a few restaurants as well. One was italian and we went there all three first times it was staged. No more than 5 mins walk.