British Speedway Forum

Who remembers Ernie Hancock?

I certainly remember Ernie Hancock from when he ran the New Cross Supporters Club in 1960-61. I recall seeing him in a vibrant orange and black (New Cross team colours) pullover which was probably knitted by his mum who was often seen at his side at meetings.  I think he liked calling himself Ernest C. Hancock when his name appeared in print and used various other noms de plumes (such as ‘The Grader’) in that 1963 publication which I purchased but no longer have in my possession.

A mate and I were attending a meeting at Crayford during a rail strike back in the late 60’s. We spotted Ernie and his mother in the car park and asked if he was driving back to South East London. When we told him we were ex-New Cross supporters he was happy to give us a lift.

Nice bloke!  

Ernest compiled a booklet called, "The World Championship Story 1929-1961", which was published in April 1962. It gave details of all the Star Riders' Championship finals and the British and Speedway Riders' Championship as well as the World Championship. It also contains some detail on the Provincial Riders' Championship, 1936 and1960-61. There is autobiographical information on most of the leading riders and many photographs. It was my "bible" of the World Championship until Maurice Jones's book came out in 1979.

Maurice Jones' book is my bible too. Re Ernie Hancock -got the impression Ernie may never have gotten married(sensible bloke) and may have lived with his mom all his life-assume he had a lot of mates in the speedway fraternity and that speedway might have been his life. If so good for him-lots of worse ways to live. RIP Ernie.

18 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Maurice Jones' book is my bible too. Re Ernie Hancock -got the impression Ernie may never have gotten married(sensible bloke) and may have lived with his mom all his life-assume he had a lot of mates in the speedway fraternity and that speedway might have been his life. If so good for him-lots of worse ways to live. RIP Ernie.

You are correct Bob...Ernie never got married and lived with his Mother until she died. But he sure loved his Speedway.

Did Ernie Hancock ever have a partial promotional interest at Rye House in the mid-1960s besides his team manager role?

Edited by Guest

His address posted in programme..114 Alberta Street, Walworth, London SE17. Telephone RELiance 4476