British Speedway Forum

Heard the rumour too about Ricky going to Glasgow.

If injury free next season could add 1.5 to 2 onto his average. Looks like it won’t be Edinburgh getting the advantage.

Need more quality at reserve.

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

But also crowds increase having riders like masters. As our gates went up when he rejoined the side compared to earlier in the season.

Edinburgh haven't had the best of seasons. So by bringing Sam back, did gates go up compared to last season, or just go up from being really low ?

Honest question.

Also, was the increase in 'gates', due to new customer's, or returning old one's ?

Edited by ruffdiamond

3 hours ago, GWC said:

The league must reign in allowing riders like Masters doubling up/down.

The standard is kept high with these guys in it but as mentioned the riders at the bottom are more or less fodder.

big average riders are just milking the lower league . it must be sorted out in 2020 .

2 hours ago, Endeavour said:

Heard the rumour too about Ricky going to Glasgow.

If injury free next season could add 1.5 to 2 onto his average. Looks like it won’t be Edinburgh getting the advantage.

Need more quality at reserve.

how do you get more quality @ reserve when  clubs are signing high average riders and eating up vital  points for team building ?

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

But also crowds increase having riders like masters. As our gates went up when he rejoined the side compared to earlier in the season.

maybe the do , but not enough to cover their costs of signing a big number 1 .

British speedway R.I.P. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jenga said:

big average riders are just milking the lower league . it must be sorted out in 2020 .

how do you get more quality @ reserve when  clubs are signing high average riders and eating up vital  points for team building ?

maybe the do , but not enough to cover their costs of signing a big number 1 .

British speedway R.I.P. 

Talking out your arse again Jenga old boy . Of course having a big hitter at number 1 pulls in more bodies to the track . Masters , Cook , King etc , our league would be a far poorer place without that calibre of rider 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Talking out your arse again Jenga old boy . Of course having a big hitter at number 1 pulls in more bodies to the track . Masters , Cook , King etc , our league would be a far poorer place without that calibre of rider 

so can you tell me how the crowd has grown from the time you had Joe Screen , Travas Mcgowan etc  to the modern day Glasgow tigers 7 ?

3 minutes ago, jenga said:

so can you tell me how the crowd has grown from the time you had Joe Screen , Travas Mcgowan etc  to the modern day Glasgow tigers 7 ?

Cant put an exact figure on it , but most meetings ( outwith the Tuesday night ones we were forced to do ) I would say possibly nearly double 

• Like 1

would that be around 1500 to 2000 ?  

9 hours ago, Paulco said:

Honestly Paulco I don't think he is (anymore than usual anyway) as when Cookie was at Workington; pre-season the promotion budgeted that he would bring in an additional 60 bodies through the gate (not many really) with him being a local lad, average crowds did not increase whatsoever. Then Alan Hedley at Newcastle brought in Danny King and then boy wonder Robert Lambert for two seasons and neither of these added any additional bodies through the door and to be fair to Alan he spent a lot of cash on bringing these guys in and he even said; he just didn't know what else he could do as a promoter as there weren't many better second tier riders around than Lambert and he (Lambert) added nothing to the crowd numbers at all. So it doesn't go to say that bringing in a big hitting number 1 will bring in the crowds as both Newcastle and Worky can prove, however I would concede that they may retain the people (or the crowd) you currently have and mitigate against some fan drift.

Again 2018 Workington did not have a recognised "big hitting" Number 1 but won the lot however even having a super successful team it didn't increase the crowd numbers in that great a level so it is a bit of a conundrum to say the least...

Finally Jenga may have a point when he says (in his own way) a big hitting number 1 probably doesn't bring in new fans it just brings back the fair weather fans who drifted away from the sport and their support can only be seen as temporary I would suggest; but fair play to the Monarchs; Sam and Josh are entertaining and quality riders and their promotion are trying to do something to reduce fan drift by bringing in quality riders, however bringing in these big hitters does not guarantee success and as Workington can attest a successful team does not guarantee new fans coming through the door either... 

However I am looking forward to watching these riders next season as a committed fan like yourself (and others on here) and thank the Monarchs Promotion for what they are trying to do as I appreciate watching good riders who can do something a bit special on the track however I feel we are becoming part of a dying breed...

Regards
THJ

• Like 4

Ok how much did the Workington crowd dwindle once Stoney hung up his kevlars ? 

I know from my own eyes that the crowds at Glasgow were healthier watching number ones like Parker and Cook than they were with Kevin Wolbert impersonating a number 1 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mr denhams first night crowd in 2008? Was reported as 2500, 2000 of which had gone when laura took over but her first crowd was reported as 1100 if only they could have been retained.Have been glasgow 3 times this season and being honest thought the crowds were low compared to 2 seasons ago .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Mr denhams first night crowd in 2008? Was reported as 2500, 2000 of which had gone when laura took over but her first crowd was reported as 1100 if only they could have been retained.Have been glasgow 3 times this season and being honest thought the crowds were low compared to 2 seasons ago .

Been to Glasgow a few times this year,Friday crowds were good IMO.Tue v Sheffield wasn’t great though .Definately think crowds are up on 2 seasons ago IMO.

• Like 1

Tuesdays were always going to be poor crowds , that had nothing to do with who was riding at number 1 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paulco said:

Ok how much did the Workington crowd dwindle once Stoney hung up his kevlars ? 

I know from my own eyes that the crowds at Glasgow were healthier watching number ones like Parker and Cook than they were with Kevin Wolbert impersonating a number 1 

I did say it was a conundrum and yep I don't disagree it is just that having a big hitting Number 1 isn't a factor of improved crowds IMO; no Newby to Speedway will know who Craig Cook Robert Lambert or Sam Masters is or any of the others mentioned for that matter, and yes losing a Stoney did (I would suggest) have an impact but that is only from the club faithful and did not have an impact on attracting new fans and I think in a roundabout way that's what Jenga was getting at and Geoff100 puts in a nutshell 1800/2000 fans lost to Workington who ended up with 400/600 regulars which wasn't enough to sustain the team at the level they were at and maybe only Stoney himself could have brought back the lost fans in any numbers. Here's a daft idea maybe they should have brought Stoney in as team manager and there may have been a numbers bounce on the back of that as he is a character and showman from the old school, however its all pie in the sky now so we will never know.

All clubs and promotions have to do what is best for them to attract numbers through the turnstiles and as stated in Workington's last year they didn't have a big hitting No 1 but even having a very successful side failed to attract the additional 2/300 regulars it needed to survive. It all comes down to what you can afford (or what you are prepared to lose or write off) and without the cash its a difficult balancing act getting the best team you can on the track; to be competitive; and provide entertainment to keep the public happy; and on a budget; and its a vicious circle and to come back to the point Jenga made paying large wages at this level for some clubs is flirting with disaster and he knows better than most from when his old man had a go at promoting. But; and here is the rub; if you could attract New Fans through the door rather than lapsed ones it wouldn't matter to them who the No 1 was as they won't be aware of who the top riders are to start with due to them being new to the sport...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

I did say it was a conundrum and yep I don't disagree it is just that having a big hitting Number 1 isn't a factor of improved crowds IMO; no Newby to Speedway will know who Craig Cook Robert Lambert or Sam Masters is or any of the others mentioned for that matter, and yes losing a Stoney did (I would suggest) have an impact but that is only from the club faithful and did not have an impact on attracting new fans and I think in a roundabout way that's what Jenga was getting at and Geoff100 puts in a nutshell 1800/2000 fans lost to Workington who ended up with 400/600 regulars which wasn't enough to sustain the team at the level they were at and maybe only Stoney himself could have brought back the lost fans in any numbers. Here's a daft idea maybe they should have brought Stoney in as team manager and there may have been a numbers bounce on the back of that as he is a character and showman from the old school, however its all pie in the sky now so we will never know.

All clubs and promotions have to do what is best for them to attract numbers through the turnstiles and as stated in Workington's last year they didn't have a big hitting No 1 but even having a very successful side failed to attract the additional 2/300 regulars it needed to survive. It all comes down to what you can afford (or what you are prepared to lose or write off) and without the cash its a difficult balancing act getting the best team you can on the track; to be competitive; and provide entertainment to keep the public happy; and on a budget; and its a vicious circle and to come back to the point Jenga made paying large wages at this level for some clubs is flirting with disaster and he knows better than most from when his old man had a go at promoting. But; and here is the rub; if you could attract New Fans through the door rather than lapsed ones it wouldn't matter to them who the No 1 was as they won't be aware of who the top riders are to start with due to them being new to the sport...

Regards
THJ

The bottom line is that the sport in its present form is not attracting and keeping new fans in numbers to make it sustainable on the wages they are paying to the Top   Riders at Championship Level without Major Sponsorship,which seems hard to attract.Slippery Slope IMO.

• Like 2

No one has even identified creating that sense of value for money / good entertainment in attracting better crowds. Your Stoney / Masters / Cook types are the 'superstar' figures within a side, they grab the headlines and the main attention for winning so often, and they too often provide some of the greater level of excitement by, occasionally at least, having to work their way to the front (Glasgow have used some of Cook's exploits this season for marketing purposes on social media).

The critical point I'm looking to make though is to stand a much improved chance of attracting new/lapsed fans to pay a visit and return, the overall 'production' has to be up to scratch - and that's a combination of facilities, track prep and the peripheral entertainment (music, atmosphere created, communication, events etc.) 

• Like 2