British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Endeavour said:

Fair bit of digressing from a Edinburgh 2020 in this topic.

Attendances may not have increased when Sam came back but the loyal attenders were sure glad to see him. You could hear what the Club meant to him in his interview at the last match.

Sorry we got bogged down in the discussion whether having a big hitter at number 1 brought any increase in attendances and was it financially viable . Whether that is the case or not , I bet a huge percentage of the Monarchs faithful will have Masters down as the first name they wanted in their 2020 septet , financially viable or not .

• Like 1

i can see the monarchs faithful wanting sam back at all costs . but in the end it could ruin the club for future generations . maybe they should all start up a direct debit from their banks to keep sam @ armadale !

On 10/10/2019 at 8:52 AM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly Paulco I don't think he is (anymore than usual anyway) as when Cookie was at Workington; pre-season the promotion budgeted that he would bring in an additional 60 bodies through the gate (not many really) with him being a local lad, average crowds did not increase whatsoever. Then Alan Hedley at Newcastle brought in Danny King and then boy wonder Robert Lambert for two seasons and neither of these added any additional bodies through the door and to be fair to Alan he spent a lot of cash on bringing these guys in and he even said; he just didn't know what else he could do as a promoter as there weren't many better second tier riders around than Lambert and he (Lambert) added nothing to the crowd numbers at all. So it doesn't go to say that bringing in a big hitting number 1 will bring in the crowds as both Newcastle and Worky can prove, however I would concede that they may retain the people (or the crowd) you currently have and mitigate against some fan drift.

Again 2018 Workington did not have a recognised "big hitting" Number 1 but won the lot however even having a super successful team it didn't increase the crowd numbers in that great a level so it is a bit of a conundrum to say the least...

Finally Jenga may have a point when he says (in his own way) a big hitting number 1 probably doesn't bring in new fans it just brings back the fair weather fans who drifted away from the sport and their support can only be seen as temporary I would suggest; but fair play to the Monarchs; Sam and Josh are entertaining and quality riders and their promotion are trying to do something to reduce fan drift by bringing in quality riders, however bringing in these big hitters does not guarantee success and as Workington can attest a successful team does not guarantee new fans coming through the door either... 

However I am looking forward to watching these riders next season as a committed fan like yourself (and others on here) and thank the Monarchs Promotion for what they are trying to do as I appreciate watching good riders who can do something a bit special on the track however I feel we are becoming part of a dying breed...

Regards
THJ

Any chance of workington comets returning next season THJ? 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Midget said:

heard a rumour that it is on Siddick beach . when the tide is out . access is via Maryport and Workington dock ferries .. hONEST !

come  on the cornets ..........

Edited by jenga

On 10/19/2019 at 11:09 AM, Midget said:

Can't see it my self... there's a good guy trying to make inroads into the council to see what support they might give and he has all the gear from DP including the shale to set out a new track but the last I heard was the land is proving difficult to obtain... but he is on the case and hopefully the council will back him...

Would be nice if he does and I have offered support but we will just have to see where he gets with it... fingers crossed... but the longer it drags on the less optimistic I am unfortunately 

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

What average is Steve Worrall on now, he could come back to up his average again. :D

Edited by ekimba

19 minutes ago, ekimba said:

What average is Steve Worrall on now, he could come back to up his average again. :D

1 hour ago, ekimba said:

As long as he keeps of them dodgy burgers lol

3 hours ago, ekimba said:

Is he an Edinburgh asset?

15 hours ago, ekimba said:

7.57 but heavily rumoured to be moving south!!!;)

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2019 at 9:58 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Can't see it my self... there's a good guy trying to make inroads into the council to see what support they might give and he has all the gear from DP including the shale to set out a new track but the last I heard was the land is proving difficult to obtain... but he is on the case and hopefully the council will back him...

Would be nice if he does and I have offered support but we will just have to see where he gets with it... fingers crossed... but the longer it drags on the less optimistic I am unfortunately 

Regards 

THJ 

Went past derwent park this morn can see the fence on bends 3-4 has been taking down been their in one form or another since 1970 , sad sight.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

Any 2020 rumours kicking about at the dinner last night?

I heard someone say that they thought the chicken was not free range.

• Haha 6

On 11/3/2019 at 8:39 AM, JanAndersen said:

Any 2020 rumours kicking about at the dinner last night?

Don’t expect Ricky, Sarjeant or Coles to be back. 

• Like 1