British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Paulco said:

Ok how much did the Workington crowd dwindle once Stoney hung up his kevlars ? 

I know from my own eyes that the crowds at Glasgow were healthier watching number ones like Parker and Cook than they were with Kevin Wolbert impersonating a number 1 

the workington fans were dwindling way before stoney hung up his kevlars . look at some of the videos of workington with stoney in and see even then the crowds were  drifting .

so how many attend Glasgow nowadays . a rough figure will do .

just like to ask the loyal Glasgow fans , was it the big hitters/star names or the lovely red and white tins of paint that were splashed about , plus  a few alterations to certain parts of the track/pit etc that pulled in the extra drift away fans `?

Edited by jenga

11 minutes ago, GlasVegas said:

No one has even identified creating that sense of value for money / good entertainment in attracting better crowds. Your Stoney / Masters / Cook types are the 'superstar' figures within a side, they grab the headlines and the main attention for winning so often, and they too often provide some of the greater level of excitement by, occasionally at least, having to work their way to the front (Glasgow have used some of Cook's exploits this season for marketing purposes on social media).

The critical point I'm looking to make though is to stand a much improved chance of attracting new/lapsed fans to pay a visit and return, the overall 'production' has to be up to scratch - and that's a combination of facilities, track prep and the peripheral entertainment (music, atmosphere created, communication, events etc.) 

Agreed and it comes back to what Jenga said in a roundabout way that you don't need to pay (or shouldn't be paying) the Superstars top notch rates in the second tier of this sport and again you are spot on in the whole of the second paragraph but something needs to give as many clubs cant afford to do all of the good ideas that you suggest and pay out for "Top Marque" riders as well...

Big dilemma...

Regards
THJ

23 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Agreed and it comes back to what Jenga said in a roundabout way that you don't need to pay (or shouldn't be paying) the Superstars top notch rates in the second tier of this sport and again you are spot on in the whole of the second paragraph but something needs to give as many clubs cant afford to do all of the good ideas that you suggest and pay out for "Top Marque" riders as well...

Big dilemma...

Regards
THJ

Maybe some of the staff/volunteers could chip a bit more in, afterall its their clubs that might not be around much longer. So if things do go t!ts up, they might not have any more unpaid work to do.

• Haha 1

unpaid work , you cant beat it !  its never bothered me ... 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Maybe some of the staff/volunteers could chip a bit more in, afterall its their clubs that might not be around much longer. So if things do go t!ts up, they might not have any more unpaid work to do.

Do hope you meant this sarcastically - although the lack of a smiley face or emoji (or whatever they're called) calls this into question.

Probably 50% of today's speedway clubs are only running because of the work currently being done by unpaid volunteers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boothers said:

Do hope you meant this sarcastically - although the lack of a smiley face or emoji (or whatever they're called) calls this into question.

Probably 50% of today's speedway clubs are only running because of the work currently being done by unpaid volunteers.

Funnily enough, it wasn't meant to be sarcastic, but agree the last sentence was a bit funny.

I did think after I had posted it, it might go down like a lead balloon.

I get what you say regarding, tracks would not run without the help. It would be a tricky area to cover, but am pretty sure that some would and are in a position to do so, and maybe put a little bit back in. I know that some volunteers put an awful amount of effort in to help their clubs, but on the other hand, there will be some that only volunteer, to accept the reward.

4 hours ago, jenga said:

the workington fans were dwindling way before stoney hung up his kevlars . look at some of the videos of workington with stoney in and see even then the crowds were  drifting .

so how many attend Glasgow nowadays . a rough figure will do .

just like to ask the loyal Glasgow fans , was it the big hitters/star names or the lovely red and white tins of paint that were splashed about , plus  a few alterations to certain parts of the track/pit etc that pulled in the extra drift away fans `?

The racing at Ashfield this season has been excellent on the meetings I have attended.Well worth attending and the stadium and facilities are 1st class.Attendances look decent.

• Like 3

The increase in social media use from Glasgow have brought in a lot of new fans from the ice hockey and they have stayed, as well as returning fans. One new fan asked who Cook was, in one of his last to first races and commented that he was worth coming back to watch.

• Like 1

Speaking to a couple well informed people placed high in the Edin ranks signing Masters had no effect on attendance. One meeting, against scunthorpe I think he said, only brought in a 350 crowd.  What it may have done is increase the belief factor that we could reach the play offs.  Always an outside bet but chances did improve when Masters arrived.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cj69 said:

Speaking to a couple well informed people placed high in the Edin ranks signing Masters had no effect on attendance. One meeting, against scunthorpe I think he said, only brought in a 350 crowd.  What it may have done is increase the belief factor that we could reach the play offs.  Always an outside bet but chances did improve when Masters arrived.  

Think if it wasn’t for the enthusiasm of the Promotion and Fans Trust,Monarchs would be long gone.Crowds have dwindled the last few seasons.Credit to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Think if it wasn’t for the enthusiasm of the Promotion and Fans Trust,Monarchs would be long gone.Crowds have dwindled the last few seasons.Credit to them.

speedway in general needs speedway in Edinburgh (Armadale)  we dont want to lose any more tracks ..

40 minutes ago, jenga said:

speedway in general needs speedway in Edinburgh (Armadale)  we dont want to lose any more tracks ..

Personally I would fear for Edinburgh when the present lease expires.The present Promotion are not getting any younger and would need an influx of new blood to take up the baton.IMO.( they may have this in place though).Financially there won’t be a queue to take over and make losses.

Edited by Fromafar

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Personally I would fear for Edinburgh when the present lease expires.The present Promotion are not getting any younger and would need an influx of new blood to take up the baton.IMO.( they may have this in place though).Financially there won’t be a queue to take over and make losses.

Don't disagree. Attracting new fans to speedway at Armadale is difficult. If we were back in town (pie in the sky i know) then marketing it becomes a lot easier - not easy but a lot easier. I'll keep buying Euromillions tickets........ 

• Like 1

Fair bit of digressing from a Edinburgh 2020 in this topic.

Attendances may not have increased when Sam came back but the loyal attenders were sure glad to see him. You could hear what the Club meant to him in his interview at the last match.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Fair bit of digressing from a Edinburgh 2020 in this topic.

Attendances may not have increased when Sam came back but the loyal attenders were sure glad to see him. You could hear what the Club meant to him in his interview at the last match.

Apologies let’s get back on subject.Will there be One League?