British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Dunno, does the bus service cover the 50 mile radius?

Not sure. But the club has protect its self over a few people being ill and not able to make to stadium imo. Great move by Edinburgh. 

4 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Not sure. But the club has protect its self over a few people being ill and not able to make to stadium imo. Great move by Edinburgh. 

Just don't get it myself like.

25 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Just don't get it myself like.

Why not? It protects the local fanbase and then allows people from further a distance to watch. I’m sure for away meetings if they stream them anyone will be able to watch. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Don't think it's the IP address that's the problem.    Think it's more likely that the stipulation will be that you have to pay with a credit card registered to a postcode more than 50 miles away.

So you'd have to find someone elsewhere in the country to pay for you.

Having said that, what's to stop one person buying it and then streaming it to everyone else?  

The football Premier League and BT/Sky etc spend millions tracking down and closing illegal streaming services, and still it's very easy to find an illegal stream of any football match you want.  What resources are the Edinburgh promotion going to have available to trace illegal steams?

It’s IP address. The article says about locals being on holiday/travelling and being able to use the service. 

10 hours ago, poolebolton said:

Why not? It protects the local fanbase and then allows people from further a distance to watch. I’m sure for away meetings if they stream them anyone will be able to watch. 

Just seems bizarre to exclude/penalise locals, would have thought that it would be those that you'd try to attract. Unless that idea has been exhausted. 

It's like great deals for 'new customer's',,, should look after your bread and butter, just my opinion tho.

Edited by ruffdiamond

13 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

Don't think it's the IP address that's the problem.    Think it's more likely that the stipulation will be that you have to pay with a credit card registered to a postcode more than 50 miles away.

So you'd have to find someone elsewhere in the country to pay for you.

Having said that, what's to stop one person buying it and then streaming it to everyone else?  

The football Premier League and BT/Sky etc spend millions tracking down and closing illegal streaming services, and still it's very easy to find an illegal stream of any football match you want.  What resources are the Edinburgh promotion going to have available to trace illegal steams?

Tbf no true speedway fan would try fiddle a club out of a tenner, surely.

But also you tv streaming point, millions have access to sky and bt, where as maybe a hundred or so will watch this each week. So I imagine it would actually be relatively simple to detect who is illegally streaming.

Any massive thumbs up too Edinburgh for this massively forward thinking initiatives. Cant wait to visit in the summer, got the days off confirmed at work last night :)

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

Just seems bizarre to exclude/penalise locals, would have thought that it would be those that you'd try to attract. Unless that idea has been exhausted. 

It's like great deals for 'new customer's',,, should look after your bread and butter, just my opinion tho.

It’s to stop riders racing in front of no one watching. And then a 1000 people online. That’s the idea behind it. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

If they opened it up to anyone it would get abused and crowds would go down. It’s aimed at those who are too far away to attend to still watch their side and away fans who can’t make the journey but can still cheer on their side also. 

for example if it was open to locals then why go and pay £17 when you could watch it at home for £10 the club would be doing themselves out of money.

• Like 1

Tend to agree ,outside the diehards there is not a lot of interest in the sport these days ,the club would risking people just staying at home paying £10 for the family to watch speedway.Good initiative by the promotion though.

42 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

If they opened it up to anyone it would get abused and crowds would go down. It’s aimed at those who are too far away to attend to still watch their side and away fans who can’t make the journey but can still cheer on their side also. 

for example if it was open to locals then why go and pay £17 when you could watch it at home for £10 the club would be doing themselves out of money.

I get what you say, but would you not run the risk of some fans turning red?

36 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Tend to agree ,outside the diehards there is not a lot of interest in the sport these days ,the club would risking people just staying at home paying £10 for the family to watch speedway.Good initiative by the promotion though.

Surely the diehards would go regardless?

A know folk are doing what they can to try and make speedway more viable, just think it's a bit risky to alienate locals from the deal IMO.

8 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Tbf no true speedway fan would try fiddle a club out of a tenner, surely.

But also you tv streaming point, millions have access to sky and bt, where as maybe a hundred or so will watch this each week. So I imagine it would actually be relatively simple to detect who is illegally streaming.

Any massive thumbs up too Edinburgh for this massively forward thinking initiatives. Cant wait to visit in the summer, got the days off confirmed at work last night :)

Be aware: summer is Edinburgh can be a bit different so summer in the South East. Take a coat - even in a heatwave

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

A know folk are doing what they can to try and make speedway more viable, just think it's a bit risky to alienate locals from the deal IMO.

2 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

Bit of dodgy weather around and they might stay in the house knowing they would see speedway if it was on.Wonder what the rules would be if the meeting started and was abandoned before Ht 12

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Bit of dodgy weather around and they might stay in the house knowing they would see speedway if it was on.Wonder what the rules would be if the meeting started and was abandoned before Ht 12

Dunno, maybe refunds will be given, different can of worms.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fromafar said:

The diehards will still be there, it is just the maybe's or lapsed supporters that might be interested so it is a win win for the club. Massive respect.

I see that Nathan Greaves has signed for Armadale Devils,. 

In my opinion he should be riding for the Monarchs in place of 1 or 2 others with a lower average.

Whats not to like, young gained good experience with Redcar last year, he could be ready to take the next step.

• Thanks 1