British Speedway Forum
brianbuck

Grand Prix numbers

Can someone explain the point of these individual numbers that the riders now use in GRand Prix Meetings? I can't for the life of me see what purpose they serve - it can't be for any kind of identification as they are way too small to be seen from the terraces, so what was wrong with numbering the riders from 1-16 as used to be the case?

Thought the idea was giving a rider a 'brand' name and selling point? Do agree though, its pretty pointless. 

Should be 1-15 on how they stand going into the round IMO and 16 for wildcard. 

• Like 1

I remember Nicki Pedersen never bought into the nonsense.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Pure merchandise and marketing identity

Absolutely. Same as it has been in other motorsports (remember, Barry Sheene was No. 7), and of course, what has happened to football in recent years.

I'm waiting for someone to ask Jason Doyle why he chose his racing number. 

Off topic a little but it said in the SS this week that GP  earnings for Zmazlik was $74k and he was the top earner , thought it would be far more than that?

11 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Off topic a little but it said in the SS this week that GP  earnings for Zmazlik was $74k and he was the top earner , thought it would be far more than that?

And quite possibly little if any profit from that directly

Selling merch by being known by number associated with you works. Just ask probably the world's best known sports number 46. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brianbuck said:

Can someone explain the point of these individual numbers that the riders now use in GRand Prix Meetings? I can't for the life of me see what purpose they serve - it can't be for any kind of identification as they are way too small to be seen from the terraces, so what was wrong with numbering the riders from 1-16 as used to be the case?

You're right, I was in the pub recently and I happened to mention this and the place broke down in hysterics.

They couldn't believe there was a sport where a competitor kept the same number all season. What a tinspot sport it must be was the general observation. Some swore they would never watch or attend any event where a competitor/athlete has the same number all season long.

Name another sport that does it was the most common question asked.. in between the laughter that is!

• Haha 1

Football?

All other forms of motorsports. 

Think that's the point Bwitcher is making. 

Some motor sports the rider/driver have the same number all there career. 

Number 44 is another well known merchandising number

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

All other forms of motorsports. 

Think that's the point Bwitcher is making. 

Some motor sports the rider/driver have the same number all there career. 

Number 44 is another well known merchandising number

I said that hours ago....

In American sport, teams actually "retire" a number that was used by legends.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Selling merch by being known by number associated with you works. Just ask probably the world's best known sports number 46. 

The numbers aren't unique. I believe Tommy Bridewell is a number 46 motorcycle racer. Obviously not the most famous one.