British Speedway Forum
brianbuck

Grand Prix numbers

8 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I'm waiting for someone to ask Jason Doyle why he chose his racing number. 

Another motorcycle racer (James Whitham) who had the same number said he originally chose it because he fell off a lot and the number appears the same upside down. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Jason Doyle’s Racing number was originally 43, but he couldn’t use it when he got in the GPs as Darcy already had it. Similarly Dudek was 69 and had to change it to 692 as Doyle had 69 in the GPs first.

Other sports may not be numbers..... Snooker it’s names....  “Hurricane “,  “Rocket”,   “Whirlwind”.    Other sports, apart from numbers, it is colours to a massive extent...... in MotoGP Yellow is synonymous with Valentino Rossi, Red with Marq Marquez. Combine the yellow colour with 46, the orange with 93, and at the GP’s you see a sea of yellow46 flags, hats, jackets, banners, and orange93 similar products ..... all in the tens of thousands. Jorge Lorenzo is 99, Andrea Dovitsiozo is 04..... the list goes on....... they are all big money spinners, massive. The new popular number to watch in Moto GP is 20 - Fabio Quartararro - just see how that number goes massive in the next few years.

Back to speedway, those who watched the under 21 world championship from Pardubice last Friday.... did you not notice sections of the crowd were wearing clothing in the same colours as their idol - Bartosz Smektala, - and they stood out.  Smektala will be in the senior world championship sometime soon, The money machine is already working hard.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Maybe because he was born in the year Brian Adams released Summer of 69.

So many sports stars have chosen the number 23 over the years in tribute to the legend that is Jamie Carragher :)

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, BWitcher said:

You're right, I was in the pub recently and I happened to mention this and the place broke down in hysterics.

They couldn't believe there was a sport where a competitor kept the same number all season. What a tinspot sport it must be was the general observation. Some swore they would never watch or attend any event where a competitor/athlete has the same number all season long.

Name another sport that does it was the most common question asked.. in between the laughter that is!

Take it they are not football supporters then

6 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

So many sports stars have chosen the number 23 over the years in tribute to the legend that is Jamie Carragher :)

Who he?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BWitcher said:

You're right, I was in the pub recently and I happened to mention this and the place broke down in hysterics.

They couldn't believe there was a sport where a competitor kept the same number all season. What a tinspot sport it must be was the general observation. Some swore they would never watch or attend any event where a competitor/athlete has the same number all season long.

Name another sport that does it was the most common question asked.. in between the laughter that is!

So they would never watch or attend any event where a competitor has the same number all season.  What a complete and utter crackpot statement to make.  So stupid a statement I can only think your mates were of the ilk they didn’t want to be seen different from the gang.  Hopefully they will grow up and be able to debate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

So they would never watch or attend any event where a competitor has the same number all season.  What a complete and utter crackpot statement to make.  So stupid a statement I can only think your mates were of the ilk they didn’t want to be seen different from the gang.  Hopefully they will grow up and be able to debate.

FOOTBALL, cricket, NFL, etc ...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BWitcher said:

Football , Moto Gp , NFL ? 

56 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Think you’ll find BW was being sarcastic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Of course it's a crackpot statement to make.. but that's the kind of crackpot nonsense that regularly crops up on this forum.

I was being totally sarcastic.

Unfortunately, the opening post was akin to the thinking that has gone into the promotion of British Speedway for so many years now... hence the mess it finds itself in.

The number 3 is the USA is MASSIVE.

Edited by BWitcher

7 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Think you’ll find BW was being sarcastic. 

Thank goodness for that as I was beginning to think I was the only one who understood he was being sarcastic. :D

• Haha 1