British Speedway Forum
johnyson66

Favourite Rider and team you support favorite rider

My all time favorite rider was the brilliant Kelly Moran of the USA, he was just magic on a speedway bike so smooth it was effortless,  I would have picked K Carter but didn't for obvious reasons , my favorite Tiger or Bear is and I'm going to pick 2 because I can't split them Bruce Forrester is first just always remember thexactly red and white scarf tied round his neck and he was our no1 when I first started going , and then Mark Courtney just super smooth on the bike and made it look so easy, was going to pick Berie Collier or Budgie but didn't for obvious reasons 

Edited by johnyson66

5 minutes ago, johnyson66 said:

My all time favorite rider was the brilliant Kelly Morgan of the USA, he was just magic on a speedway bike so smooth it was effortless,  I would have picked K Carter but didn't for obvious reasons , my favorite Tiger or Bear is and I'm going to pick 2 because I can't split them Bruce Forrester is first just always remember thexactly red and white scarf tied round his neck and he was our no1 when I first started going , and then Mark Courteney just super smooth on the bike and made it look so easy, was going to pick Bernice Collier or Budgie but didn't for obvious reasons 

You might wish to go over your spelling of some of these names.

3 minutes ago, foamfence said:

As long as you know who I'm talking about it wouldn't worry about it 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Is that better ? 

10 minutes ago, johnyson66 said:

Is that better ? 

Yes.:t:

Edited by foamfence

Memories from being a kid at Coventry I would say Nigel Boocock and in more recent times it would have to be Billy Janirro -- not for his success as a number 1 (which he never was) but just loved the way he took no nonsense (with the assistance of his elbows). Master bonus point rider :D

• Like 1

Been i am  Birmingham Brummies supporter and in my 30s in have only been watching speedway live and supporting a team regularly since 2006 . 14 seasons so unfortunately i can not go back  as far as some of you guys for favourite riders .Although i have seen us compete in in 3 divisions in that short period of time.So my favourite Brummies rider to watch has been Ben Barker (before i knew about his off track antics) but was great to watch . Favourite ever is Tai Woffinden 3 times world champion...

12 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Been i am  Birmingham Brummies supporter and in my 30s in have only been watching speedway live and supporting a team regularly since 2006 . 14 seasons so unfortunately i can not go back  as far as some of you guys for favourite riders .Although i have seen us compete in in 3 divisions in that short period of time.So my favourite Brummies rider to watch has been Ben Barker (before i knew about his off track antics) but was great to watch . Favourite ever is Tai Woffinden 3 times world champion...

No right or wrong suggestion all speedway fans have their favorites from all eras , I like Barker myself as he is a 100 percenter , it doesn't have to be the best or a world title winner it's who we all enjoy watching or gets the adrenaline pumping , love Woofy myself considering what he's dealt with in his life also a great loss to speedway Darcy Ward was a great rider and future world champion 

Edited by johnyson66

26 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Intrigued to know about his 'off-track' antics? Remember him as a junior riding for Oxford.

20 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Intrigued to know about his 'off-track' antics? 

Hmmmm... How long have you got?

Of course, I wasn't able to personally witness things, but I know a number of forum members have...

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

What I do know that there was one particular incident (at Cardiff, I'm sure) when he was there as a spectator...

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

What I do know that there was one particular incident (at Cardiff, I'm sure) when he was there as a spectator...

Yes I remember his bad behavior.I think he went through an ''arrogant'' stage as did Bomber following his GP win in 2007. Fortunately they have both had reality checks since realising they are best concentrating on ''bread and butter'' speedway and will never be world champions. I enjoy their racing all the more for it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Didn't he gamble all his bike money away a few seasons back 

I believe he was using David Wallinger's engines at Redcar.

Jim Airey - Sunderland 'Saints' 1964.

Graem Smith - Sunderland 'Stars' 1972/73.

Jack Millen. Sunderland 'Stars' 1972/73.

Just my favourite Riders for my Club - Sunderland of blesséd memory.

• Like 1